• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

raif71

Major Contributor
My A30pro just died. RCA inputs (from D10s), ground lift on. Was playing a game at medium gain 12 o clock volume, heard a pop and then silence. The white led shut off. Can't get the unit to turn on any more. The shell temperature was around 41 degrees Celsius when it happened. Headphones survived.
The pop sound was at the amp or you heard it via the headphone? Sorry for what you went through...

usern

The pop sound was at the amp or you heard it via the headphone? Sorry for what you went through...
I had headphones on and seemed like the sound came from headphones. Not a big worry, just annoying to deal with warranty. Perhaps @JohnYang1997 can recommend something to debug or check if I open the enclosure.

VariousArtists

My A30pro just died. RCA inputs (from D10s), ground lift on. Was playing a game at medium gain 12 o clock volume, heard a pop and then silence. The white led shut off. Can't get the unit to turn on any more. The shell temperature was around 41 degrees Celsius when it happened. Headphones survived.
Oh no! Stories like this scares me, at least your HP survived...

I suppose you still don't know which component went wrong? You can still send it back with the warranty I imagine - hope Topping will get to the bottom of this.

VariousArtists

What would you like to know? I thought I wrote everything relevant down.
Is the unit dusty? Not sure if it affects anything but the top cover has lots of ventilation holes.

And I guess there is no burning smell?

nuht

Oo
SMSL SP 200 let's go!
Topping is not trustful. Great AMP poor security system :/

Fernando

Forum Donor
Maybe amirn should measure a store a30pro and not one shipped by the manufacturer.

A pity, I was convinced to buy it, but we will have to wait for the manufacturer's explanations.

usern

Is the unit dusty? Not sure if it affects anything but the top cover has lots of ventilation holes.

And I guess there is no burning smell?
No dust (5 days old), no burning smell

bahamot

Maybe the fuse blown up?

kryptk

Mine just got shipped the a30 pro and d30 pro bundle hopefully no issues fingers crossed.

Chagall

Forum Donor
Really disappointing. Was looking forward to this amp.

Does A90 do better in terms of well...working?

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello,
I received my A30Pro a week or so ago. I opened it today, it looks well made.

This little amplifier will be test equipment on my bench, used for testing headphones with the GRAS 45CA test fixture. I like the low, medium and high gain switch on the front.

Thanks DT

Topping A30 Pro 2.jpg

VariousArtists

So it seems that the 3 inputs on the front are active at the same time, so are you supposed to unplug the ones not in use?

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So it seems that the 3 inputs on the front are active at the same time, so are you supposed to unplug the ones not in use?

They are outputs on the front, There is no selector switch for the outputs. Pick one and plug in your headphones. You may plug in more than one headphone at a time but there is only one volume control that controls all at the same time.

There is a selector switch on the front for the inputs that are on the back.

Thanks DT

VariousArtists

Thanks - yes outputs is what I meant.

So if I don’t want my IEM playing too loud while using another HP on high gain, I should disconnect the IEM.

Also I imagine it will reduce the maximum power available to one when more than 1 is connected.

Is there a “correct” way to use this, always unplug the ones not in use?

hawk01

hmm, sad to note mysterious premature hardware failures on supposedly well engineered products. i was also considering the A30pro previously but due to the significantly higher SRP i opted for the SMSL SH-9 instead. fortunately mine has been running uneventful for the past few weeks already. but something like this can happen to anyone, anytime when you thought all was fine and dandy. i hope warranty claim and support from topping goes well.

Top Bottom