• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just heard back from Topping. Due to massive shortage and cost increases on components, the cost is US $349.99. I updated the review with this pricing info. Hopefully this crazy silicon cycle ends and we get back to normal times/pricing/availability.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the update. Bit on the higher side than I appreciated. But it is what it is. At this price L30 and A90 still have their place in their lineup, so i guess it makes sense.

Last edited:

jannek

I just heard back from Topping. Due to massive shortage and cost increases on components, the cost is US $349.99. I updated the review with this pricing info. Hopefully this crazy silicon cycle ends and we get back to normal times/pricing/availability.

Phew. I hoped it to be at least astride with SMSL SH-9 ... Which with resistor ladder volume control, remote control, display, comparable measurement results and now $60 difference has a lot of arguments on its side. Only noise at 50 mV is worse... but I don't use IEMs.
Shouldn't that have the same issues with shortage and cost increases?
That's a pity, because I like the looks of the A30 a lot better and also customer support of Topping (response to mails, facebook messages or John's participation here) is much better and I would really like to appreciate that by purchase.

Last edited:

Tortie

Forum Donor
Phew. I hoped it to be at least astride with SMSL SH-9 ... Which with resistor ladder volume control, remote control, display, comparable measurement results and now $60 difference has a lot of arguments on its side. Only noise at 50 mV is worse... but I don't use IEMs.
Shouldn't that have the same issues with shortage and cost increases?
That's a pity, because I like the looks of the A30 a lot better and also customer support of Topping (response to mails, facebook messages or John's participation here) is much better and I would really like to appreciate that by purchase.

Topping set the price too high @ $350. It's as simple as that. You can tell from his comment that even Amir seems surprised. Expectations on forums were $250-300. I was thinking it would come in at $289-$300. Oh well.

I'm also eyeing the SH-9 as a potential amp. I'm blind as a bat so the big led display with volume readout would help. I also like to lay back and chill when I'm listening to music so the remote would be really handy.

Last edited:

ninetylol

Yeh its definitely on the high side, but SMSL does the same thing, and prices stuff higher and higher every day. Not that I want to come to their defence, I think its a stupid move. Only thing chinese manufacturers had on their side, was them being a lot cheaper than mainstream manufacturers. Now they are doing the opposite.

I may be wrong, but I think its all just marketing and testing how much we gonna pay. If they priced it cheaper, they would have made the A90 irrelevant. This happens when you dont have enough competition on the market. By the way regarding marketing: chinese companies really need to learn to adapt prices of their older stuff to market value. It's a fucking joke that some 5 year old far far worse equipment is still being sold as msrp. Looking at you Topping/SMSL/Sabaj etc.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Nope.

IMHO @amirm shouldnt review stuff with no explicit release date in the future. Hes providing free marketing and since they also didnt set a price either it seems Topping is still deciding how much they can milk the customer with the hype Amir sparked.

Agreed. Amir announced the price yesterday. $349. Seems like Topping put their thumb on the scale after using the ASR review as a trial balloon and buzz generator to their benefit. It kinda worked judging from the interest and intrigue that stirred on this thread and over on I7audiolab.com.

I would take your advice a step further and not review products until they're available to the general public. Eliminates the lengthy window in-between review and availability.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Yeh its definitely on the high side, but SMSL does the same thing, and prices stuff higher and higher every day. Not that I want to come to their defence, I think its a stupid move. Only thing chinese manufacturers had on their side, was them being a lot cheaper than mainstream manufacturers. Now they are doing the opposite.

I may be wrong, but I think its all just marketing and testing how much we gonna pay. If they priced it cheaper, they would have made the A90 irrelevant. This happens when you dont have enough competition on the market. By the way regarding marketing: chinese companies really need to learn to adapt prices of their older stuff to market value. It's a fucking joke that some 5 year old far far worse equipment is still being sold as msrp. Looking at you Topping/SMSL/Sabaj etc.

Topping seems to cannibalize their own product line with their high frequency of product launches. Seems like they're juggling too many balls and need to pare down their lineup.

ninetylol

Topping seems to cannibalize their own product line with their high frequency of product launches. Seems like they're juggling too many balls and need to pare down their lineup.
I think the A30pro is a great product, and deserves its spot in the lineup. I dont like setting the pricing and release date after a review hyping its technicalities.

Also what Ive said before naming it A30pro (and thus placing it in their lower end lineup by name) and then pricing it way above expectations is another marketing debacle. If they have named it A70, maybe people wouldnt be so surprised by this price now.

jannek

That's no bravery... a L30 built in '21 is one of the most trustworthy devices at all in my opinion. Being in use in many thousands and the two issues that showed up in mass production sorted out.
I was pretty happy with mine (which worked perfectly), only drawback versus an a30pro is that i would like an a little bigger/heftier device.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
My replacement unit is also sounding mighty fine... :)

Tortie

Forum Donor
That's no bravery... a L30 built in '21 is one of the most trustworthy devices at all in my opinion. Being in use in many thousands and the two issues that showed up in mass production sorted out.
I was pretty happy with mine (which worked perfectly), only drawback versus an a30pro is that i would like an a little bigger/heftier device.

It's probably fine now but I'm the cautious sort. When I see a debacle unfold I give a wide berth. Just to be safe. As more time goes by and no more issues arise my confidence will be restored.

kkeretic

The only thing I would really like to see on L30 are ventilation holes. The one I returned was quite warm after an hour or two of use, and it was/is winter here. Don't understand the strategy of doing so with small devices that generate heat. I like the A30 Pro case.

Veri

Master Contributor
The only thing I would really like to see on L30 are ventilation holes. The one I returned was quite warm after an hour or two of use, and it was/is winter here. Don't understand the strategy of doing so with small devices that generate heat. I like the A30 Pro case.
Ehh, I dislike holes that can accumulate dust over the years unless really necessary. In the case of L30 it isn't, not a problem in real life that it gets warm.

Top Bottom