• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
With headphones there is as good as no electrical damping though. It is all acoustical/mechanical damping.
The effects one can hear with high output impedance amps and certain low impedance headphones is caused by voltage division due to the varying impedance of the headphones in question (when they do vary, not all do).

So best forget about DF for headphones. There is a simple rule (more like a guideline) though that when one follows this there is not much chance of a change in tonality.
When the output resistance is at least 10x lower than the headphone impedance (so DF > 10) then you'll be O.K.

This means you can drive a 300ohm headphone perfectly using an amplifier having an output impedance <30ohm, A 16ohm headphone should be used with an output resistance of at least 1.6ohm will always be fine.

David_M

Consider Topping L50 - similar power, but gets less hot. A30pro has faint buzz when turned off and your room is extremely quiet (no AC fans running, dead quiet).
There is no buzz or other kinds of noise on my A30 Pro. It's a very powerful and extremely clean headphone amplifier, able to handle super low impedances. It also has an excellent set of outputs. I have no complaints!

rcstevensonaz

Is there anyway to set hack the A30pro so that the line-level passthrough is always active, regardless of whether headphones are inserted or not?

Put different, is functionality that either the headphones or the passthrough connector is active (but not both) a "convenience feature" or fundamental design element (i.e., the signal would be degraded if it was sent down both paths at the same time).

rcstevensonaz

Is the A30Pro discontinued? The Apos store says it is (https://apos.audio/products/toppping-a30-pro-desktop-headphone-amp)...
In an email exchange with Apos, they confirmed the Topping A30 Pro is discontinued. The Silver is no longer being manufactured, but the said they could potentially still get some black units. It wasn't clear if the black units are still being manufactured (e.g., using up parts inventory at factory), or just that there was still some remaining stock available that they could potentially get to fill an order. The person at Apos also said there was no information about any future model to replace the A30 Pro.

@JohnYang1997, anything you can add on this?

P.s., I did purchase a Silver A30 Pro from SHENZHENAUDIO because I was paranoid Topping would remove the front-panel switches on whatever they launch to replace the A30 Pro (just as they did going from the A90 to the A90 Discreet).

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Is there anyway to set hack the A30pro so that the line-level passthrough is always active, regardless of whether headphones are inserted or not?
As far as I know, no.

In an email exchange with Apos, they confirmed the Topping A30 Pro is discontinued.
Sooner or later, all models will be discontinued. This is due to the way electronics are manufactured nowadays: the design is made, it is validated, the number of units to be manufactured in a first batch is established, the necessary purchases are made with suppliers, they are manufactured and, depending on sales and availability of supplies, it is decided to manufacture a new batch or discontinue the model.

rcstevensonaz

Sooner or later, all models will be discontinued.
Very true! But normally, the discontinuation notice comes from the manufacture, not the end distributor.

In my case, I would have preferred to wait a few more months before making the purchase and would rather order through a USA-based distributor. But knowing this model is now discontinued, having no news about future models, and not wanting to risk losing out on buying what might be TOPPING's last headphone amp with front-panel switches, I went ahead and made the purchase from a China-based distributor.

I added Apos' confirmation it is discontinued here for anyone else who might be interested in knowing that.

flognuts

I recently got one of these, after reading the review here and seeing as they are no longer manufactured I jumped on.
Simply put, my mind is blown at the performance of this thing. Its perfection, probably the last headphone amp I'll ever need.
Absolutely destroys my Meier Corda Classic amp, which is about 4x the size.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Simply put, my mind is blown at the performance of this thing. Its perfection, probably the last headphone amp I'll ever need
One of the best single-ended headphone amps out there. I have been enjoying it for a year and a half, along with the DAC D30 Pro. A match made in heaven.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a D30Pro + A30Pro stack after Amir's review back in Mar 2021. A bit over 3 years, used almost daily - not a single problem. Could not be happier with it.

Jbbanks

This is actually extremely useful, I am highly sensitive to sounds which are not supposed to be there - You reckon L50 then? Or back to my original choice the L30II?
Iv had my A30 Pro for 3 years now, its an extremely powerful and tight package that uses little space. I have never heard a buzz what so ever with my units and when its turned off completely its just silent equipment, if there's no power going to it there's no way for it to make a sound from all the electronics I have ever used.

Top Bottom