• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30 Pro paired with Dx3 Pro+ as DAC

Nusara

Hi everyone, I'm new to high end equipment so please forgive me
I was wondering if the Dx3 Pro+ will be a good pairing with the A30 Pro as a dedicated DAC as I am aware Dx3 Pro+ only has SE connections at 2.1V while balanced DACs have 4V so I'm not sure whether this will affect the power output of the A30 Pro.
I never needed more power than the Dx3 Pro+ provided but I recently snagged a pristine condition He1000V2 and I reckon the Dx3 Pro+ will not the able to bring out the most in the cans, thus I am upgrading the amplifier. Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated,
Cheers

staticV3

Master Contributor
The DX3Pro+ will work just fine as DAC for the A30Pro.

If your headphone is <20Ω, then you won't lose any loudness vs a 4Vrms XLR DAC as under those loads the Amp runs out of current before you hit a gain limit.

If your headphone is high impedance (HD650 etc), then with the DX3Pro+'s RCA Line out you can only drive the A30Pro to 80% of the available loudness.

Should you run out of volume (highly unlikely as the A30Pro is extremely powerful), then you can always switch from the DX3Pro+'s RCA Line out to its Headphones out into the A30Pro and that way you'll get 100% loudness no matter the headphone.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the A30pro and another one coming in Thursday. The best dac I tried was the ones with filter settings so it should be good. It's a really transparent amp so different filters on the dx3pro are worth trying. It will heat up the room by 1 degree or so if you leave it on all the time. Over 250 ohm it detects it and goes into class A mode. If you have a cat, good luck keeping it off it's new cat bed :)
If you need more power in the future, selling the dx3pro and getting the D10b balanced DAC is really good. Using that on the A90 right now but going to do a side by side when the a30pro comes in Thursday.

mantamasa

Should you run out of volume (highly unlikely as the A30Pro is extremely powerful), then you can always switch from the DX3Pro+'s RCA Line out to its Headphones out into the A30Pro and that way you'll get 100% loudness no matter the headphone.
Hi! I'm currently using the A30 Pro in a very similar setup, yet using a Fiio K5 Pro instead of the DX3Pro+, and like you said, it seems that using the K5 Pro's headphone out (using a 3.5mm to RCA adapter) instead of RCA out to feed the A30 Pro makes it much, much more powerful than simply using the K5 Pro's RCA output. I also find the K5 Pro's headphone out to be much more powerful/loud compared to the Topping E30's (another DAC I have) for pairing with the A30 Pro.

If you need more power in the future, selling the dx3pro and getting the D10b balanced DAC is really good.

With that being said, is using the K5 Pro with its headphone out to feed the A30 Pro good enough, or do I still need to invest in a balanced DAC (e.g. Topping D10B)? Especially since the K5 Pro's headphone out already makes the A30 pro insanely loud, so I wonder if the D10B would make any improvements. Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
With that being said, is using the K5 Pro with its headphone out to feed the A30 Pro good enough, or do I still need to invest in a balanced DAC (e.g. Topping D10B)?
What you need to unlock the A30Pro's full volume is a box that can output 2.7V into the A30Pro's inputs.
Via RCA or via XLR does not matter. You just need 2.7V

staticV3

Master Contributor
Which DAC can output 2.7V with RCA out though?
OP's K5 Pro can output >2.7V into the A30Pro's RCA inputs via a 3.5mm to 2x RCA adapter.

Therefore he does not need to invest in a balanced DAC to make use of the A30Pro's full output.

mantamasa

@staticV3 My A30 pro's power cable says 250v, will it work properly if I use it in Canada which is a country with 120v outlets? If not, would changing the cable to a 120v power cable solve the issue? The A30 pro has a built-in power supply if that matters. Thanks!

Edit: The power socket/plug on the A30 pro also says 250v. shenzhenaudio specs state "Power: 100-240VAC 50Hz/60Hz"

Last edited:
Top Bottom