• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping 10D Balanced + A90

wacomme

Does it make any sense to pair the Topping 10Db with the A90? I'm looking for separate DAC and AMP that is balanced (ground loop problems), with plenty of power for future proofing, and the ability to use the volume control on the A90 to control volume for both HP and desktop powered speakers. The 10Db would be connected to my MacBook Air (M1) via USB. Balanced inputs would come from the speakers to the amp. Balanced connectors from DAC to AMP.

AlephAlpha001

Does it make any sense to pair the Topping 10Db with the A90? I'm looking for separate DAC and AMP that is balanced (ground loop problems), with plenty of power for future proofing, and the ability to use the volume control on the A90 to control volume for both HP and desktop powered speakers. The 10Db would be connected to my MacBook Air (M1) via USB. Balanced inputs would come from the speakers to the amp. Balanced connectors from DAC to AMP.
Yes. Some would even argue that you could get a cheaper well-measuring amp with balanced inputs and spend even more savings on transducers. But the A90 is very, very good and one day you might develop an urge to buy the Susvaras.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Thanks. I keep coming back to the A90 as it hits all of the right boxes - separate AMP & DAC, lots of power, excellent data numbers, balanced inputs, easy ability to switch back and forth between HP and speakers. It's overkill for my immediate needs, but there seems to be some future proofing built in and there's the convenience factor.

But I'm open to other suggestions.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

RME ADI-2 to do it all for a little extra up front? You don’t get balanced HP out though. Otherwise End Game as the annoying young whippersnappers like to say..
No doubt the RME ADI-2 would be top of my list if I didn't have DSP control on my Mac. But I can't justify (or rationalize) the cost otherwise.

Top Bottom