• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Top Three Male Rock Vocalists?

OP
Oldasdrt

Oldasdrt

LOL, never in my life did I expect to see Lemmy Kilmister on a list of best vocalists. OK, maybe "best male rock vocalist after just finishing a three hour set in Phoenix, Arizona in July, a bottle of whiskey, a case of beer, and two packs of cigarettes". He'd get on that one by default because he and Iggy Pop would probably be the only two left standing.
:):):):)

Ordin Aryguy

While there might be some disagreement out there in ASR Land as to whether this is rock or not, no one can deny the purity of this man's voice.
David Clayton Thomas:

This guy flat out sing!
Devin Townsend:

... and finally THE BEST Male Rock Vocalist of All Time. Bar none!
Ronnie James Dio:

My list doesn't have so many of the other vocalists mentioned earlier in this thread, but it's near impossible to name only three. I could go on for days naming vocalists (Layne Staley, Chris Cornell, Robert Smith, Curt Smith... the list goes on and on!)

Martini

Forum Donor
^ Well, topic title would suggest listing top 3 that we think have the best voices, not necessarily our favorites or all the singers we like. At least that's how I interpreted it. :)

b7676

Rock music electrifies each string instrument with magnetic pickups in the majority of the arrangement. Rock vocalists compete with magnets where possible, amplified percussion and anything else.
Double bass pedals, never playing midtempo, only solid state, leaves Rock. Never fully electrifying lead rythym or bass guitar is suspect.
Rock is both the pastiche of electrifying what wasn't written to be -consciously derivative, and an original medium.

Last edited:
Reactions: ADU

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Greatest rock vocalists?

Captain Beefheart
David Thomas
Mark E. Smith

Most of the 'classic' rock crooners have been mentioned so I won't go there, but curiously I don't think anyone has mentioned Rod Stewart! Seriously, Rod could sing rings round any of his contemporaries in his heyday. He may have become a bit of a joke in his twilight years (OK, since about 1975) but 'Every Picture tells a Story' is one of the top 'classic' rock albums ever made. Check out Rod's 'Mercury Years' compilation. Pure gold.

One of my favourites in the mid-seventies (and continuing the Scottish theme) was Alex Harvey of The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. A veteran rocker of the Hamburg curcuit (and inspiration for Lulu!) reinvented himself as theatrical prog-metal frontman in the 70's. 'Next' is probably SAHBs best album and certainly the best English language Jacques Brel cover ...

Apropos Jacques Brel – Scott Walker, Marc Almond, Jake Thackray and famously David Bowie have all tackled his stuff to varying success. Not sure if Scott Walker can be classed as rock either in his 60s crooner persona or later experimental work but certainly he was one of the greatest singers of all time.

Robert Wyatt has the most affecting and beautiful voice. From Soft Machiune and Matching Mole to his solo stuff and many many collaborations with other artists. A fucking genius and all round good bloke!

Blixa Bargeld rarely sings as such but has one of those voices (like Laurie Anderson) I could listen to reading the telephone directory.

Love him or loath him, no-one can sound as malevolently angry as John Lydon. And the first three PiL albums were works of genius.

Peter Perrett's petulant whine could be every bit as annoying as Lydon's but The Only Ones could do no wrong in my book.

But many great singing voices emerged from the ashes of punk:

Green Gartside
David Sylvian
Ian Curtis
Billy MacKenzie
Ian McCulloch
Richard Jobson

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Blixa Bargeld rarely sings as such but has one of those voices (like Laurie Anderson) I could listen to reading the telephone directory.

There are some videos of him reading advertising leaflets of a hardware store. If any of you Americans have ever wanted to know how to pronounce "Fuchsienstämmchen":

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
1. Freddie Mercury
2. Rob Halford
3. Robert Plant

...Chris Cornell, David Bowie, Steven Tyler, Josh Homme, Ian Gillan, Axl Rose.

Phil Anselmo on Power Metal and Cowboys From Hell.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mick Jagger
Bruce Springsteen
Freddy Mercury
Robert Plant
Roger Daltrey

That's three. right?

Top Bottom