• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Top Gun: Maverick

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This looks like hot trash.

The question is, is it 'fun' hot trash or is it just a bunch of bad SFX and clumsy references to the first movie, like most of these sequels end up. If they couldn't even get a real Val Kilmer cameo, that doesn't bode well.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The question is, is it 'fun' hot trash or is it just a bunch of bad SFX and clumsy references to the first movie, like most of these sequels end up. If they couldn't even get a real Val Kilmer cameo, that doesn't bode well.
Val Kilmer has had throat cancer since 2015, and basically can't talk. It is rumored however that Cruise wanted him in this sequel and that he does have a small role in it beyond the small picture in the trailer. How they accomplished that and how much of a role isn't known yet.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Looked up the speed of US air to air missiles. They range from Mach 2.5 to 4.0. Seems like maneuverable speed for a jet is sub Mach. So escaping it would be hard indeed.

Maverick can do anything. He's the Chuck Norris of the sky. ;)

Andysu

Major Contributor
i still not rushed out to the local deafening odeon bh2 atmos to see this hard-drive-movie nor am i interested in its taken 36 years for a squeal for the sake of liemax as atmos that still doesn't have discrete below surround so i'm not going to waste my time seeing this hard-drive movie at deafening unsafe dB levels .

Andysu

Major Contributor
Why don't you just take the kitty litter to the movies? ;)

JSmith
great idea ! yeah i can take a bag of cat litter and do honest review . :D

raif71

Major Contributor
1653834882922.png

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Looked up the speed of US air to air missiles. They range from Mach 2.5 to 4.0. Seems like maneuverable speed for a jet is sub Mach. So escaping it would be hard indeed.

Importend parameter is also how much g the missile vs. you can stand. And waterbags are not good in standing g's.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
The video of the F-14s in a dogfight was 100% accurate to real life. What can go wrong always seems to go wrong at the wrong time. These guys were so lucky to be alive. If the enemy had flown a bit better, they would have shot down all three F-14s. The first one was a very dangerous over water ejection after taking a missile hit. That was one lucky pilot to survive the missile hit uninjured. Next F-14 #2 gets raked with gun rounds TWICE! loses and engine and survives the ordeal (luckiest pilot alive?) Downright unbelievable. What a true to life video. Like being an infantryman getting ambushed and surviving. Makes you not want to push your luck anymore!

Then lastly, the aircraft carrier catapult system goes down at the EXACT time they need to put up 2 more F-14s. Like having your rifle jam in a firefight. A boat load of luck was with the US forces on that day.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i rather watch a chimpanzee washing a cat and the flying nun weighing 90ilbs with airlift plus thrust .
I think we all know you'd really want to spend time watching That Darn Cat! But that isn't news to any of us and is off topic. If you are also into the whole chimp thing then maybe you'll view The Monkey's Uncle both of them from Disney in 1965. Still off topic however.

I'd probably enjoy Top Gun with no cats or chimps in it. You could swap out Gun for Cat and view Top Cat perhaps.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really enjoyed this movie. Great fun, awesome visuals and fantastic sound experience. Vastly unrealistic and cheesy plot, but high feel-good factor throughout made it brilliantly watchable for me.

As a cinema experience I rate this 5/5. As a movie, well, who cares.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The question is, is it 'fun' hot trash or is it just a bunch of bad SFX
Actually most of the movie seems to be made with actual planes, and just a toch of SFX added when there was no other option.

Seems that the movie is well received. Hope to see it soon.

Bugal1998

Forum Donor

I haven't seen the latest Top Gun, so can't speak to the film... But the original was chock full of aviation nonsense... Though still fun!

In addition to what others have shared, I'll add...

Dodging missiles is definitely hard, but also doable under many circumstances. High speed is necessary for overtaking, but detrimental to maneuverability.

For a given g-load factor (I. E. Bank angle in a level turn) the radius of turn increases with the square of the aircraft's true airspeed. Thus, a high sub-sonic jet in a ~9g turn likely has a much tighter turning radius than a Mach 2+ missile, even though the missile may also be capable of a much higher g-loading.

Also, not all missiles approach from the rear of the aircraft, some even approaching head-on. This is over simplified, but overtaking an aircraft to either the left or right, then paralleling their course and approaching laterally from the side requires less maneuvering from the missile while simultaneously making escape for the aircraft much harder. It's almost like vehicle "A" (the missile) overtaking vehicle "B" on the highway, and once beside vehicle "B", vehicle "A" merges into vehicle "B's" lane and runs them off the road.

Interestingly, the scene in the movie The Incredibles where the business jet is shot down is rather on point (in an over the top cartoon sort of way). Fun fact, this is also how bats often approach insects while feeding in-flight.

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
It's a fun retro romp packed with bromance and nice cinematography. Hi brow it isn't, fun it's most definitely is.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking forward to seeing this one. I'm a bit of an aircraft geek and I'm guessing the flight scenes will be quite something on a big screen. And every review I've read seems to agree that it is just good entertainment, the sort of film you can switch off from the world and just enjoy as pure popcorn fun.

Top Bottom