• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Top Gun: Maverick

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Finally saw this last weekend. Frankly, as someone who was not a fan of the first, and doesn't really like Cruise a whole lot...my expectations were met. lol. I thought this movie was pretty terrible. Just seemed really thin, pointless, and mostly dumb. Now I actually quite like a dumb action flick...but the testosterone parade of these movies grates on me. I hate over-confident people, and these flicks are all about over-confident people. lol.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I have not seen it yet as there is usually so much unrealistic stuff in the dealings between officers and other stuff that it is not interesting for me as former military. The "best pilot" stuff is also bunk. But I will probably turn my brain off and go see it. I watched some of the Navy pilot reviews on YouTube and they said the same thing. It is just fun and basically not realistic in much of the flying and 100% of the interaction between the different actors. Smarting off to a superior officer? Disobeying orders? It may not be in this movie so I will see it. I just hope I'm not cringing through out the movie. We will see!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I liked this for it is: a popcorn movie with tons of great footage of awesome planes, and a basic story to make it work. Simple and very effective.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally saw this last weekend. Frankly, as someone who was not a fan of the first, and doesn't really like Cruise a whole lot...my expectations were met. lol. I thought this movie was pretty terrible. Just seemed really thin, pointless, and mostly dumb. Now I actually quite like a dumb action flick...but the testosterone parade of these movies grates on me. I hate over-confident people, and these flicks are all about over-confident people. lol.
I don't like over-confident people either. Nor braggarts. I did have brief exposure to a pair of Naval Aviators. Now yes, disobeying orders and smarting off to officers I don't think is happening. However these two fellows were very overconfident in their being bulletproof and 9 feet tall. I cannot draw any conclusions for the whole group with just these two, but the level of confidence (over-confidence) while not in detail like the movie, at least in general spirit is how they thought of themselves. They weren't really braggarts, but they did have an overly high opinion of themselves. They were young and maybe just a couple years would have tempered their sky high egos. Or maybe that kind of personality is what it takes to be a combat pilot.

I enjoyed the movie, yes the whole thing is over the top and preposterous, but for some escapist action flick with some patriotic sentiment and bravery at least shown as something of value I could suspend disbelief and find it fun to watch. It really was more over the top than the first one. More fun than some anti-social anti-hero dystopian flicks that seem overly popular in recent years. Plus it wasn't an adaptation of a comic book.....er......graphic novel.

Top Bottom