• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Top Gun: Maverick

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are some fighter pilots on youtube looking at the trailers and doing technical analyses of the flying and what not. Pretty interesting.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I read recently that when a missile is shot at a plane, it is so much faster than it that you simply cannot escape it if its aiming at you. If true, now I can't stand these shots where they are trying to evade the missiles by going left, right, etc.

BinkieHuckerback

I read recently that when a missile is shot at a plane, it is so much faster than it that you simply cannot escape it if its aiming at you. If true, now I can't stand these shots where they are trying to evade the missiles by going left, right, etc.
...it's as if movies made things up

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on the type of missile and angle of attack, probably. And the capabilities of the aircraft.

Ricardus

Movement combined with whatever counter-meaures modern aircraft have might be more effective.

paddycrow

Forum Donor
It's not unreasonable for a modern fighter to dodge an incoming missile, whether is surface to air or air to air. I think they would normally use movement combined with other countermeasures.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Looked up the speed of US air to air missiles. They range from Mach 2.5 to 4.0. Seems like maneuverable speed for a jet is sub Mach. So escaping it would be hard indeed.
Missiles need to obtain and maintain radar lock with target. Some aircraft can go full stealth and present the size of a bumblebee. Making radar lock impossible/improbable. Missiles move at incredibly high speeds, making turning difficult to impossible. Depending on many factors such as distance at notification, relative speed, altitude and energy exchange ratios, radar cross section, countermeasures available, pilot skill missile avoidance is possible. One missile might be easy to defeat, multiples fired at different time intervals are not. Some aircraft in full Stealth mode are essentially immune to missiles and must be attacked with guns, provided you see them first. Which is doubtful. Just a guess.

raif71

Major Contributor
On the topic of evading missiles, measurements don't usually tell the whole story. The pilot that have burn-in time and zen with the aircraft may do wonders. Of course, these golden people maybe a needle in a haystack. What seems impossible may be possible. :)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
This is why modern [anti-aircraft] missiles also use EO/IR sensors (optical and infrared [heat])…
Ir is only used in close/short range normally fired from another aircraft otherwise called Air to Air Missiles. Contact with the target and closing range must have happened first and for that radar tracking would be required or pure luck of stumbling across the path of a Stealth Fighter/Bomber. Ir is also defeatable with flares. Again many factors at play here. For any engagement with missiles you first must acquire the target and be able to maintain constant tracking. But we’re just spitballing here. So yes if the enemy can get close in Ir and Ot does and can work. Therein lies the innate qualities of Stealth technology. Maybe the new Movie will explore this aspect more deeply.

Top Bottom