• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Top 5 streamer devices by ASR community

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Please explain the bit about USB, preferably with evidence. From tests here we've seen no evidence that USB reclockers improve DAC performance for a competently engineered USB DAC. Archimago's tests with multiple USB sources connected to a competent DAC also show no difference in performance. Allo's DACs have measured well and been praised for it, but that doesn't make claims about UBS clocking more believable.
I think the clock comment came from a video (Darko or Hans) and I need to do some hunting.....but Allo has a USB add on board for the Sparky or RPI described here for some additional cautions.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I think the clock comment came from a video (Darko or Hans) and I need to do some hunting.....
:facepalm: Here we go again...
but Allo has a USB add on board for the Sparky or RPI described here for some additional cautions.
Allo make some well engineered hardware. They also play into the sort of audiophile myths you'll see Darko and Hans perpetuating. Take the DigiOne for example - it has demonstrably lower levels of jitter on its S/PDIF output than the Topping D10 it was measured against. The problem is that for any well engineered DAC this won't make any difference at the analog output because the DAC won't be sensitive to jitter as shown in the many DAC tests here and elsewhere. That's why in the DigiOne Signature test a DAC with known poor jitter rejection was used. Similarly there are DACs with poor USB implementations that might potentially be helped by a 'special' USB device, but it would be better to change to a DAC that didn't have a problem in the first place. Noise issues due to grounding are another matter entirely, but measurable and demonstrable, and with known inexpensive solutions.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
:facepalm: Here we go again...

Allo make some well engineered hardware. They also play into the sort of audiophile myths you'll see Darko and Hans perpetuating. Take the DigiOne for example - it has demonstrably lower levels of jitter on its S/PDIF output than the Topping D10 it was measured against. The problem is that for any well engineered DAC this won't make any difference at the analog output because the DAC won't be sensitive to jitter as shown in the many DAC tests here and elsewhere. That's why in the DigiOne Signature test a DAC with known poor jitter rejection was used. Similarly there are DACs with poor USB implementations that might potentially be helped by a 'special' USB device, but it would be better to change to a DAC that didn't have a problem in the first place. Noise issues due to grounding are another matter entirely, but measurable and demonstrable, and with known inexpensive solutions.
I have a different need. I need two inputs to my DAC. I have one input need for Roon from a RPI4 with Ropieee and another for the Mac Mini USB output of Tidal, SiriusXM, QOBUZ, etc.

Tidal and QOBUZ access is also available in Roon but SiriusXM isn't. I bought an SMSL PO100 for the Mac USB but the darn thing went dead in a couple of months and I returned it.

So now, I am going to run the Mac USB directly to the Gustard DAC and use a DigiOne for S/PDIF for Roon to the same DAC.

FYI--- I have had a history of DSD related noise issues with USB and after a few updates to the DAC firmware and changing from the Mac USB to RPI/Ropieee USB, the noise is gone. So I am very happy with the current SQ.

Top Bottom