• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Top 5 streamer devices by ASR community

OP
I

intothedragon

Last edited:

francisg

The only issue with the Rpi4 is WiFi seems to have issues with 192k or higher hi res streams.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use roon a pi4 running Ropiee is good for that as well.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you have one?
Sorry, I don't. I have a bunch of Squeezeboxes and I wouldn't hesitate on the DAC32 if I needed another. How wrong can you go for under $100?

Toward the end of the thread I linked people are starting to get their units and put them to the test. There are some very favorable reviews.

OP
I

intothedragon

Sorry, I don't. I have a bunch of Squeezeboxes and I wouldn't hesitate on the DAC32 if I needed another. How wrong can you go for under $100?

Toward the end of the thread I linked people are starting to get their units and put them to the test. There are some very favorable reviews.
sorry from where which thread did you read the reviews about the DAC32, please?

Dan R

I started using a Squeezebox Duet in 2008 and recently bought a Touch. As sergeauckland points out, the software keeps getting better. No plans to change.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Another longtime Squeezebox user here, using a RPi4 running PiCorePlayer. I use the Material Skin web interface to control everything across phone, tablet and desktop. I stream my from my own collection of rips and downloads, Qobuz (including hi-res), and internet radio like Radio Paradise.

If you buy an RPi, I would suggest getting several microSD cards so you can try different streaming OS choices by just swapping the cards.

OP
I

intothedragon

Another longtime Squeezebox user here, using a RPi4 running PiCorePlayer. I use the Material Skin web interface to control everything across phone, tablet and desktop. I stream my from my own collection of rips and downloads, Qobuz (including hi-res), and internet radio like Radio Paradise.

If you buy an RPi, I would suggest getting several microSD cards so you can try different streaming OS choices by just swapping the cards.
Maybe you can help me with the Squeezebox, I just downloaded the LMS version 8.0.1 from Logitech website. I was able to instal and to login on the website but I cannot in any way login on LMS on my computer, it keep giving me an error “"An unexpected error occurred while validating your mysqueezebox.com account." Am I missing something? Should I download the LMS from another source?

another thing about your suggestion for multiples SD cards for multiple OS. Are 16gigas SD cards enough? Thank you

OP
I

intothedragon

I started using a Squeezebox Duet in 2008 and recently bought a Touch. As sergeauckland points out, the software keeps getting better. No plans to change.
Maybe you can help me with the Squeezebox, I just downloaded the LMS version 8.0.1 from Logitech website. I was able to instal and to login on the website but I cannot in any way login on LMS on my computer, it keep giving me an error “"An unexpected error occurred while validating your mysqueezebox.com account." Am I missing something? Should I download the LMS from another source?

BillG

Major Contributor
Chromecast's are easy but you can get better performance from a Pi/USB DAC (or a pi + hat for digital out)

Sorry, but no.

Both the analog and digital outputs of the Chromecast Audio have been performance analyzed here and were found to able to surpass the thresholds for audio transparency. Of course, its digital output is much cleaner from an engineering perspective, but its analog output is able to surpass the lenient threshold with ease.

Once a device surpasses this threshold, the rest just becomes an engineering exercise that we couldn't possibly hear.

Transparency.png

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AppleTV, Apple AirPort Express are the only separate streaming components I use.

OP
I

intothedragon

Sorry, but no.

Both the analog and digital outputs of the Chromecast Audio have been performance analyzed here and were found to able to surpass the thresholds for audio transparency. Of course, its digital output is much cleaner from an engineering perspective, but its analog output is able to surpass the lenient threshold with ease.

Once a device surpasses this threshold, the rest just becomes an engineering exercise that we couldn't possibly hear.

View attachment 119825
why they discontinued the Chromecast Audio? I only have Chromecast on my Tv

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
The most important part of a steamer is the interface / software, it must allow you to play all your music and streaming services, and do so in a way you like. This is a personal choice, different people can have diametrically opposed ideas on how they should work. After that as long as the hardware squirts out the correct bits they are all the same.

Agreed.

It can be the best measured streamer in the world, but if it can’t interface well with on-line streaming services you may as well stick to a CCA and your DAC of choice. Just check out the Matrix Element threads,

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best resource for LMS errors is the slimdevices forum. People there are very quick and helpful in sorting out installation and operational errors.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/

S

Iglo

Forum Donor
Adding my 2cents: RPi4 / MoOde Audio > USB > Topping E30 is by far my favorite.

I also use an Audio Pro system for a multi-room setup in my living room (syncing multiple speakers). Works like the Sonos system and while the app is a little less polished the speakers sound better.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bluesound Node. Plug and play. Nice user interface. Silent.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have money? Cambridge CXN V2

You don’t have money? RPi 4 with RoopieXL
Don't they cost kind of the same once you have bought roon? I did buy roon, and part of my logic was it meant I didn't need to buy a hardware streamer, as there are a bunch of cheap endpoints you can use that are effectively invisible.

Top Bottom