• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tools for producing music

Rayx

For producing high-quality music, what's your favorite tool and why?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The piano, but I can't play one.

She can.

Harps are nice too.

Or maybe just pen and paper.

1572502480951.png

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you be more specific with your question? Do you mean to play back music for listening? Or software to make recordings? or like Ray an instrument to make real music?

PaulD

What B88 said!

Playback: I'll let others contribute better than I can, but I go clean and uncoloured, a simple computer (I go stored music not streamed), DAC, speakers.

Software: If you're a musician I'd say Logic Pro or Ableton. If you're more of a recording engineer type, then ProTools is the best (sorry, but it is, can't do plugin latency compensation on any other), Reaper is also excellent and possibly the best for ambisonic mixing. If you are more creative then there's MaxMSP, Pure Data, Supercollider, Csound etc etc etc. For live coding, I'd try SonicPi. There are hundreds of other software tools, I just hit the main names, too much of it is fashion, no one cares what software was used to make a piece, if you're happy with it, then stay happy with it.

Instruments etc: I play piano and guitar badly these days because I don't practice. I still write scores by hand (pencil and paper) because I loathe scoring tools - I happily pay people to put my scores into Sibelius. But really any instrument can be used for composition, the most important tool is imagination.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm a long time user of the Waveform DAW (fomerly known as Tracktion), get the Tracktion 7 to test things out.
Easy to use and surprisingly powerful. All the DAW tools mentioned above and Waveform produces excellent results. It's more about how you use them and with what hardware and plugins.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Could you be more specific with your question? Do you mean to play back music for listening? Or software to make recordings? or like Ray an instrument to make real music?

I'm also afraid I misunderstood the question of the subject?? because it goes to another subject?

maybe we should rewrite it, it's not explicit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom