• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Toole/Harman design speakers in Europe

Hi!
I am continuing to follow the forum every day which is a constant source of fun and interest.
Obviously in this forum are reported especially speakers more easily distributed in the USA.
But I live in Italy.
I would like to know which producers available in Europe are inspired by the Toole / Harman school to begin my research.
Thanks
Stefano

Willem

Major Contributor
My guess the closest would be Harbeth. They too are the product of a long tradition of seriously scientific design.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers that are mainly known in Sweden are the Ino Audio pi60(s) and higher models. Not saying that they were inspired by Harman since the originals came out in the end of 1970s but I would say that they are among the best out there. But it requires a trip to Sweden to hear or buy them.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't want to always come back with the same, but what about
- Focal
- Genelec
- Dutch & dutch
- Kii
?
We may want to define "inspired by Toole/Harman" first.
I guess pretty much all scientifically and competently designed speaker since their work has been somehow influenced by their results.

OP
S
Thanks for the answers.
To be "inspired by Toole's researches" that are often cited in this forum, I mean that they follow the indications of Floyd Toole and that they therefore look for neutrality in the speakers as much as possible.
Sorry if I don't speak well technically.
I ask you this so that I can orient myself in the enormous quantity of models and brands of speakers present in Europe.
Perhaps I should follow Toole's advice that if a producer does not make the measurements and data on his products available then perhaps it is better to go elsewhere. If there is no transparency of information then it is better not to give blind trust.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
KEF. I suspect Revel is available in Europe as well.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
You may want to look into Neumann, they’re not pretty but they measure well and can dance.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps I should follow Toole's advice that if a producer does not make the measurements and data on his products available then perhaps it is better to go elsewhere. If there is no transparency of information then it is better not to give blind trust.
Neumann would be a logical choice then (lot's of measurements). They are all active though (which is a good thing in my view).

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if a producer does not make the measurements and data on his products available then perhaps it is better to go elsewhere.
Then that pretty much limits the choice.
From the ones I listed, only Genelec does, as far as I was able to see.
This is clearly a regression vs the 90s, where most serious speaker brands were publishing at least in axis frequency response.
But that's a general tendency in HiFi marketing.
That brands like Focal, Kii, D&D hardly publish measurements seems against their own nature.

I couldn't find any either for
Dali, PMC, B&W, Cabasse, Kef, ...

Last edited:

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Then that pretty much limits the choice.
From the ones I listed, only Genelec does, as far as I was able to see.
This is clearly a regression vs the 90s, where most serious speaker brands were publishing at least in axis frequency response.
But that's a general tendency in HiFi marketing.
That brands like Focal, Kii, D&D hardly publish measurements seems against their own nature.

Sadly not even Neumann provides test FR results for each individual speaker any longer. I was just informed by them they no longer provide them and no reason was given.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Daverz

Major Contributor
I'd add Buchardt as a brand that's measurement based. I'm not sure how closely they follow Toole/Olive principles, though. I might wait for their promised active models.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The Harmon brands are very badly represented in the UK, not sure how that translates across Europe. Plus the prices are inevitably higher than the US.

Does badly represented mean unavailable, or just a handful of dealers? As for higher prices, most of the UK and European brands cost more in the US despite there being no VAT.

KozmoNaut

Very few dealers and very limited presence.

For instance, all JBL sells here in Denmark is pro gear and bluetooth speakers, and a limited selection of JBL home speakers. No Infinity, no Revel.

Willem

Major Contributor
I don't know how similar exactly Harbeth is to Harman, but like Harman they go back to a long tradition of serious science based research and design, originally at the BBC research facility. Alan Shaw, the designer, does a lot of measuring with high end measurement gear, now combined with extensive computer simulation. And like Harman, Harbeth's priority has been to design for the flattest frequency response, a sweet top end, and a curve that seems quite similar to Harman's.

Top Bottom