• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tool for analyzing dynamic range of music library

5omeone

Dear ASR-Community.

Perhaps the topic has been discussed before. If it is indeed present, I simply have not been able to find it and would greatly appreciate a reference.

At the moment there is a real hype about high quality audio formats and their providing via adequate hardware. It seems that people are making a lot of money in this market by overbidding each other with bitrates - you can almost call this a "DAC war". Well, over the years I have collected a certain amount of audio files. Some "original" CDs I have also stored as Lossless format for home streaming. Regardless of the fact that I myself can often only guess a difference between classic CD quality of 16bit /44,1kHz and e.g. 24 Bit/192 kHz, I would be interested in the following thing:

Is there a tool (for macOS) I can use to analyze the dynamic range of my library and possibly even store the results in the meta data? Some albums I find suspect and would feel much better with an analysis.

Do you have any other suggestion alternatively?

Wish you all a good start into the weekend and many greetings!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
At the moment there is a real hype about high quality audio formats and their providing via adequate hardware.

Any lossless digital format is essentially a high quality format. It does not guarantee a high quality recording, though.

It seems that people are making a lot of money in this market by overbidding each other with bitrates - you can almost call this a "DAC war".

Not at all. Humbly priced DACs like the Topping D10s will do PCM384 and DSD256 very competently.

Is there a tool (for macOS) I can use to analyze the dynamic range of my library and possibly even store the results in the meta data? Some albums I find suspect and would feel much better with an analysis.

I’m not aware of stand-alone tools, but the two macOS compatible players I’m familiar with – Audirvana and Roon – both do this.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear ASR-Community.

Perhaps the topic has been discussed before. If it is indeed present, I simply have not been able to find it and would greatly appreciate a reference.

At the moment there is a real hype about high quality audio formats and their providing via adequate hardware. It seems that people are making a lot of money in this market by overbidding each other with bitrates - you can almost call this a "DAC war". Well, over the years I have collected a certain amount of audio files. Some "original" CDs I have also stored as Lossless format for home streaming. Regardless of the fact that I myself can often only guess a difference between classic CD quality of 16bit /44,1kHz and e.g. 24 Bit/192 kHz, I would be interested in the following thing:

Do you have any other suggestion alternatively?

Wish you all a good start into the weekend and many greetings!
As you said. It’s a hype to make money.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Top Bottom