• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tonewinner at-300 av pre pro + buckeye amp Hypex NC252MP Amplifier am I crazy?

Urvile

I've got a 3.1 channel system, here is the kicker all my speaker a super power hungry.
2 x Polk audio reserve r700
Polk audio legend L400
Polk audio HTS 12

What are your thoughts?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the processor is amazing! Although it’s missing HDMI 2.1 but I’m guessing it’s not a deal breaker for you.

I would always consider powering the subwoofer externally.

Personally i would pick different speakers, i’m not the biggest fan of Polk Audio. Is there a particular reason why you picked these particular ones?

OP
Urvile

Urvile

I read some amazing reviews about them, and own them now, and like them very much. My AVR is lacking, the 700s, and the L400 are 4 omh.
The sub is powered. So really I only need to drive 3 speakers. And no I don't need HDMI 2.1. I'm really unimpressed with most of the AVRs out there. My thinking is why spend 2000 on a mediocre AVR, or get a functional pre-pro and a kick ass amp?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I've got a 3.1 channel system, here is the kicker all my speaker a super power hungry.
2 x Polk audio reserve r700
Polk audio legend L400
Polk audio HTS 12

What are your thoughts?
Are you planning on using more than a 3.1 channel system? There would seem to be a lot better options for a 3.1 system IMO if you aren’t intending going beyond 3.1.

OP
Urvile

Urvile

No not planning for anything more than 3.1, if you have a better option for a AV pre-pro that doesn't cost $15000 or $17000?
The only recommended AV pre-pro recommended by ASR are $15000 and $17000 respectively
(edited for clarity)

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No not planning for anything more than 3.1, if you have a better option for a AV pre-pro that doesn't cost $15000 or $17000?
The only recommended AV pre-pro recommended by ASR are $15000 and $17000 respectively
(edited for clarity)
What you are really buying with those (I have the Storm) is the ability to go more than 11 channels and very good EQ systems.
-The most obvious choice would be to use something like a Denon X3700 in preamp mode.
-Or maybe a Monoprice HTP1 with DLBC
-Or maybe an anthem AVM70
I think it depends on how you intend to EQ your system... manual, Dirac,Audyssey etc on what direction you go.

OP
Urvile

Urvile

I did look hard at the Monoprice HTP1, and the anthem AVM 70. Both are twice the price of the AT-300 / Buckeye solution.
For 4000, I could get the AT-300 and a nc502mp with six channels and 500 watts at 4 ohms! I wonder If I could do a Bi-amp solution?

OP
Urvile

Urvile

I think it depends on how you intend to EQ your system... manual, Dirac,Audyssey etc on what direction you go.
The AT-300 has room correction / EQ built in, I'd try that first.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want automated EQ, from my little bit of reading, the included automated EQ is poor. With something like an Denon x3700 and the $20 app, you get good subwoofer correction. And yes, you really pay a high premium on processors over 11 channels. If you wanted to do manual EQ the AT300 might be fine (I have no experience with it).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Dj7675 still interested in the options available for 3.1 systems. been considering turning my music room into 5.1 for a while but i don't seem to find that magical piece of the puzzle.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I think the processor is amazing! Although it’s missing HDMI 2.1 but I’m guessing it’s not a deal breaker for you.

I would always consider powering the subwoofer externally.

Personally i would pick different speakers, i’m not the biggest fan of Polk Audio. Is there a particular reason why you picked these particular ones?

D

Deleted member 39414

The at-300 is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Thanks!

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Are there reviews of their EQ ?
That's the very much limitation of their pre/pro to not have a well known room correction like Audyssey or Dirac.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Best source of user experience is on AVS..
If you are handy with manual eq, I could see it as an option if the automated EQ isn’t good.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I remember reading the hardware is from the same people that do the Emotiva unit:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Dj7675 still interested in the options available for 3.1 systems. been considering turning my music room into 5.1 for a while but i don't seem to find that magical piece of the puzzle.
My magical pieces are... ...
-Multiple subs
-Dirac DLBC for sub integration
-System capable of manual eq when needed
-Learning how to measure with REW to verify use of automated systems.

The above does it for me... a push button for subwoofer integration and integrates subs/mains. With this solution, you can choose to do full range dirac correction or if it isn't necessary, leave them alone, or a few simple filters to fix speaker issues. I am happy with the results anyway.

OP
Urvile

Urvile

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I remember reading the hardware is from the same people that do the Emotiva unit:
They built it , not sure if they designed it. When I get ready to buy the unit, I'll ping @amirm and see if he wants to review it.
Lucky me I think I live maybe 10 miles from him. (That's a guess) I live in north Seattle

OP
Urvile

Urvile

Just found this

He gets one thing wrong, the DAC is a ADI ADSP-21573

Last edited:

Skyro

Is the center channel really that important to you? If I didn't want a full-blown surround system I would just go 2.2 and go with a MiniDSP Flex.

OP
Urvile

Urvile

Is the center channel really that important to you? If I didn't want a full-blown surround system I would just go 2.2 and go with a MiniDSP Flex.
Yes, I'd say I watch more video, than I do just music, so HDMI input / output is a must have. My system as it is, performs OK, I do have some evidence that it does clip. (Very rare but does happen) I just think that I'm not getting the full potential of my speakers, TX-NR656 just wasn't designed to drive them.

Top Bottom