• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tonewinner AD7300 7-channel amp

delta76

Major Contributor
One of the retailers here allows 60 days test, and if I want to return, I could buy their returning label at very reasonable price (20-30$ depends on the size). I found that to be very attractive and would definitely choose from them if price is similar to other retailers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Many people on this forum have expressed interest in the Tonewinner 7300, 7-channel amplifier that is only available from one distributor in N. America, SummitHIFI. This amp is considered by some to be very handsome since it has a huge VU meter (originally spelled UV on the earlier versions) that spans almost the width of the unit. (Although I don't quite understand the utility of 1 VU meter on a 7 channel amp.)

Of course I am interested (sucker for pretty faces) but I don't like to buy a pig in a poke. So I wrote to Amir (not our Amir) at SummitHiFi and asked whether he would send this amp to ASR for review. I never received an answer, so I called and asked whether he would do it and he said that it already had been tested by Tonewinner and the acid test is to listen. When I said I would need a disinterested third-party to measure the amp, he gave me no assurance he would do so.

O.K., now the meat of this rant: It's been opined by many that Tonewinner makes Emotiva products. There is a current Emotiva amp that spec-wise is the twin of the Tonewinner. It is the Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 7-channel amp. (From their current line up.) This unit (like the Tonewinner) has a switch-mode power supply and rail-modulating class-H operation. Spec by spec these amps are virtually identical. Since SummitHiFi won't send the Tonewinner to ASR why can't we use the review of the Emotiva as a proxy? It just so happens that there is such a review performed by John Atkinson of Stereophile on the 2-channel version. (This is a modular amp.) And the URL is:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/emotiva-xpa-gen3-two-channel-power-amplifier-measurements

It was not a stellar performer, evidencing high IM distortion and increasing THD with upper frequency.
I understand your attraction, it is a handsome amp if you enjoy the meter thing, I do.
But rather than worry over a one trick pony that won't get involved in having his goods independently measured, why not just get something like the Buckeye Amps products that have been measured here and offer stellar performance at a very reasonable price.
There's also a meter thread here where many have built there own outboard VU meters.

OP
G

gaussianmist

I understand your attraction, it is a handsome amp if you enjoy the meter thing, I do.
But rather than worry over a one trick pony that won't get involved in having his goods independently measured, why not just get something like the Buckeye Amps products that have been measured here and offer stellar performance at a very reasonable price.
There's also a meter thread here where many have built there own outboard VU meters.
Yes, thank you. I am familiar with Buckeye amps from Amir's reviews and they seem excellent. Based on Amir's review of the Outlaw 2220 monoblocks, I bought 3 about 2 months ago for LCR. So right now I'm looking for an amp that will accommodate the rest of my surround system (which is currently powered by mid-nineties Carver Amps.)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Many people on this forum have expressed interest in the Tonewinner 7300, 7-channel amplifier that is only available from one distributor in N. America, SummitHIFI. This amp is considered by some to be very handsome since it has a huge VU meter (originally spelled UV on the earlier versions) that spans almost the width of the unit. (Although I don't quite understand the utility of 1 VU meter on a 7 channel amp.)
Unfortunate this thread has been trolled and crapped on.
Yes there are quite a few that would like to know the details on the performance of this amp.
Time will tell.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I think this guy is just using 'bob carver' as his screen name. If so, I'm surprised the mods allowed it.

We didn't. We asked him to change it and were ignored. Another generally negative interaction ensued, followed by an attempt to set up the seemingly mandatory puppet account to make sure we could benefit from his contribution.

He is no longer here.

I did some cleanup.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Doesn't look like anything prevents one from buying it, having it sent to Amir, and then if within the return window, deciding for ANY REASON to send it back.
I highly recommend to anyone looking to do exactly this. You should first start a PM conversation with Amir and get his agreement to bump said item to the front of the test queue. As he is normally sitting on many weeks of backlog and without a specific agreement from Amir, the unit might sit for weeks/months in the backlog pile and then the return window expires before testing. Just a suggestion.

AdamG

Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
How much does this thing cost?

OP
G

gaussianmist

I highly recommend to anyone looking to do exactly this. You should first start a PM conversation with Amir and get his agreement to bump said item to the front of the test queue. As he is normally sitting on many weeks of backlog and without a specific agreement from Amir, the unit might sit for weeks/months in the backlog pile and then the return window expires before testing. Just a suggestion.
You left out the remainder of Nathan's post where he says there is a restocking fee and the customer must pay for shipping.

AdamG

Forum Donor
You left out the remainder of Nathan's post where he says there is a restocking fee and the customer must pay for shipping.
I left that part out intentionally. My point is not about if the vendor will charge any additional fees. My point was to make direct contact with Amir to get his agreement to facilitate the testing of any said unit bought new and drop shipped to Him. Otherwise said unit might get put in the queue and not get tested and returned within the return time period. Amir is normally sitting on months of backlog items to test. Make more sense now?

Mkaram

Since you brought up Buckeye I thought it was a fun coincidence that I had a similar conversation with Dylan.

I told Dylan that I wanted to buy two of his new 8-channel NC502 amps but that I wanted one sent to Amir for teardown review and I asked that any issues Amir identified be fixed.

Dylan was on board. It's an opportunity to demonstrate commitment to quality and the community.

Now if only he didn't have a multi-mont backlog of work :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Dylan was on board. It's an opportunity to demonstrate commitment to quality and the community.
A great example of old school customer relations at work.
I bet it was a similar situation back in 1950s when Saul Marantz was hand building his amps.
Same with Joseph Grado building photo cartridges on the kitchen table in Brooklyn NY.
Jonathan Grado is now Vice President of Marketing for Grado Labs, “I grew up on the top floor of Grado Labs,” says Jonathan, “so now I’m working with people who have known me all my life".
john-grado-teaching-jonathan-grado.jpg

Top Bottom