• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tomorrow Dec 25th 2021, is a very big day! James Webb Scope is headed out.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mirror alignment is totally complete. The mirrors on the Webb have completed final alignment and focus. The only remaining thing to do is commission the instruments!

instrumentsCommOverallCompositeImage-1200px.jpg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
There would be worse ways to spend a career, especially given how well it seems to be performing.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/04...:text=“With the completion,Credit: NASA/STScI

"“With the completion of telescope alignment and half a lifetime’s worth of effort, my role on the James Webb Space Telescope mission has come to an end,” said Scott Acton, Webb wavefront sensing and controls scientist, Ball Aerospace. “These images have profoundly changed the way I see the universe. We are surrounded by a symphony of creation; there are galaxies everywhere! It is my hope that everyone in the world can see them.”

302fd622-014d-41ff-aca4-edea337378d4-webb_in_full_focus.jpg

Engineering images of sharply focused stars in the field of view of each instrument demonstrate that the telescope is fully aligned and in focus. For this test, Webb pointed at part of the Large Magellanic Cloud, a small satellite galaxy of the Milky Way, providing a dense field of hundreds of thousands of stars across all the observatory’s sensors. The sizes and positions of the images shown here depict the relative arrangement of each of Webb’s instruments in the telescope’s focal plane, each pointing at a slightly offset part of the sky relative to one another. Webb’s three imaging instruments are NIRCam (images shown here at a wavelength of 2 microns), NIRISS (image shown here at 1.5 microns), and MIRI (shown at 7.7 microns, a longer wavelength revealing emission from interstellar clouds as well as starlight). NIRSpec is a spectrograph rather than imager but can take images, such as the 1.1 micron image shown here, for calibrations and target acquisition. The dark regions visible in parts of the NIRSpec data are due to structures of its microshutter array, which has several hundred thousand controllable shutters that can be opened or shut to select which light is sent into the spectrograph. Lastly, Webb’s Fine Guidance Sensor tracks guide stars to point the observatory accurately and precisely; its two sensors are not generally used for scientific imaging but can take calibration images such as those shown here. This image data is used not just to assess image sharpness but also to precisely measure and calibrate subtle image distortions and alignments between sensors as part of Webb’s overall instrument calibration process. Credit: NASA/STScI"

Andreas007

The sharpness check is already mesmerizing. These pictures are giving me the impression that big discoveries are coming. I’m quite confident that JWT will be groundbreaking in every aspect.
Fascinating, what together can be accomplished! This telescope is a steady reminder what we are able to achieve if we only want to do it. Sadly, this team spirit seems to be missing here on earth, most of the time.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The sharpness check is already mesmerizing. These pictures are giving me the impression that big discoveries are coming. I’m quite confident that JWT will be groundbreaking in every aspect.
Fascinating, what together can be accomplished! This telescope is a steady reminder what we are able to achieve if we only want to do it. Sadly, this team spirit seems to be missing here on earth, most of the time.
When humans are driven by a common belief, many a wonder can be achieved. Unfortunately, egos, politics and differences hold our species back from achieving many a good thing.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There would be worse ways to spend a career, especially given how well it seems to be performing.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/04/28/nasas-webb-in-full-focus-ready-for-instrument-commissioning/#:~:text=“With the completion,Credit: NASA/STScI

"“With the completion of telescope alignment and half a lifetime’s worth of effort, my role on the James Webb Space Telescope mission has come to an end,” said Scott Acton, Webb wavefront sensing and controls scientist, Ball Aerospace. “These images have profoundly changed the way I see the universe. We are surrounded by a symphony of creation; there are galaxies everywhere! It is my hope that everyone in the world can see them.”

View attachment 203359

Engineering images of sharply focused stars in the field of view of each instrument demonstrate that the telescope is fully aligned and in focus. For this test, Webb pointed at part of the Large Magellanic Cloud, a small satellite galaxy of the Milky Way, providing a dense field of hundreds of thousands of stars across all the observatory’s sensors. The sizes and positions of the images shown here depict the relative arrangement of each of Webb’s instruments in the telescope’s focal plane, each pointing at a slightly offset part of the sky relative to one another. Webb’s three imaging instruments are NIRCam (images shown here at a wavelength of 2 microns), NIRISS (image shown here at 1.5 microns), and MIRI (shown at 7.7 microns, a longer wavelength revealing emission from interstellar clouds as well as starlight). NIRSpec is a spectrograph rather than imager but can take images, such as the 1.1 micron image shown here, for calibrations and target acquisition. The dark regions visible in parts of the NIRSpec data are due to structures of its microshutter array, which has several hundred thousand controllable shutters that can be opened or shut to select which light is sent into the spectrograph. Lastly, Webb’s Fine Guidance Sensor tracks guide stars to point the observatory accurately and precisely; its two sensors are not generally used for scientific imaging but can take calibration images such as those shown here. This image data is used not just to assess image sharpness but also to precisely measure and calibrate subtle image distortions and alignments between sensors as part of Webb’s overall instrument calibration process. Credit: NASA/STScI"
Just looking at the NIRCAM image is staggering to see the amount of stars and galaxies in that tiny image. Can't wait for the absolute scientific treats that it's about to discover.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
The thing that strikes me most is that at 2 billion dollars it's actually quite cheap for what it is, if you account for the facts:
-that it contains state of the art equipment
-and took almost a decade to make.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The thing that strikes me most is that at 2 billion dollars it's actually quite cheap for what it is, if you account for the facts:
-that it contains state of the art equipment
-and took almost a decade to make.

10 billion is the number I've seen...but even so. That's a lot of people over a couple of decades. Development work started in 1996, and construction started in 2004.

Pretty incredible project, that may still be doing work in 20+ years.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be interested in knowing if the Webb is capable of detecting and analyzing the atmospheres of extra solar planets.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

charleski

Major Contributor
For anyone who wants to learn more about Infrared Astronomy and the importance it plays, here's a good Royal Institution lecture from last year that starts with the basics and goes through the role it plays in astronomy:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In 2 weeks we'll have the first public images from the James Webb telescope.

As of today (28 June 2022), 12 out of the 17 operation modes of the 4 main instruments are commissioned.
InstrumentsTracking2.011-2-2000px.png

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Almost done with mode commissioning. :)

I haven't looked forward to something this much in a long time.

"Among the first pictures coming in from the $10 billion James Webb Space Telescope will be "the deepest image of our universe that has ever been taken," according to NASA administrator Bill Nelson.

While not specifying which early-universe objects Webb will focus upon, nor how old these targets are, Nelson suggested the image will show the earliest objects yet seen. "This is farther than humanity has ever looked before, and we're only beginning to understand what Webb can and will do," he added."

Top Bottom