• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tomorrow Dec 25th 2021, is a very big day! James Webb Scope is headed out.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Hubble is old news. It's done. They should launch a missile and blow it to smithereens! All hail the new god Webb!

hahaha...J/K. There's lots of room in space for both Hubble and Webb to do their thing.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hubble will always be in my heart. The hubble story is better than any blockbuster. Alone the repair mission was a crimi. And the deep field was just breath taking.

I'm with you there. I don't know that I will ever see any image that will have the impact on me that the first of the Deep Field images did.

Continues to boggle.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I'm with you there. I don't know that I will ever see any image that will have the impact on me that the first of the Deep Field images did.

Continues to boggle.

Knowing that the universe is big is one thing, but than seeing this picture was like ...speechless...

Btw. interesting fact.
If you take a grain of sand on your finger, on your streched arm, against the sky. Thats the size the JWST deep field image shows from the sky. Crazy isnt it?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
What is crimi by the way? ... the band, a last name or criminal minds?

JSmith
Sry, my translations are not always so good. Crime story would be the right one.

In german we say krimi, the lazy part of me than translated to crimi. Sry.

JSmith

Master Contributor
The data includes images of Jupiter and images and spectra of several asteroids, captured to test the telescope’s instruments before science operations officially began July 12. The data demonstrates Webb’s ability to track solar system targets and produce images and spectra with unprecedented detail.

jupiter_hi_res_atmo-1.png

side-by-side.png

JSmith

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Knowing that the universe is big is one thing, but than seeing this picture was like ...speechless...

Btw. interesting fact.
If you take a grain of sand on your finger, on your streched arm, against the sky. Thats the size the JWST deep field image shows from the sky. Crazy isnt it?
The hubble deep field was a section of sky about the size of your little fingernail at arms length. Yet the JWST one is just as packed with Galaxies.

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Infinite universe but we still have to decide who has a better DAC and why mine is better

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I consider it to be unfortunate that our eyeball view when looking up is so limited.

A moon, four planets, an occasional comet, around 6,000 stars, a haze of our own galaxy, and a smudge of one other galaxy.

JSmith

Master Contributor
This is not JWST, however obtained via the Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder (ASKAP);

267cee7ea47789afb217794146995ec5

JSmith

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, but the red spot isn't even red. And this is with infrared imaging.

I'm surprised you can get images this good with stacked images from a Celestron C8.

1661235194236.jpeg

Interesting little article about how and who processed the Webb images from raw data available to the public.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
bazinga-sheldon.gif

According to Big Bang theory, the most distant galaxies in the JWST images are seen as they were only 400-500 million years after the origin of the universe. Yet already some of the galaxies have shown stellar populations that are over a billion years old. Since nothing could have originated before the Big Bang, the existence of these galaxies demonstrates that the Big Bang did not occur...

JSmith

Top Bottom