• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tom Danley’s new ‘Hyperion’

williamwally

Forum Donor

winflex

I had an opportunity to listen to both the HRE1 and the ILE3 at the Alameda, CA roadshow a few months back. Listening conditions were far from ideal with an outdoor setup in windy conditions near the noisy Oakland container port. I preferred the sound (and looks!) of the ILE3. Subjectively the HRE1 was very clear and bright, whereas the ILE3 appeared to be a little "easier listening". However, the measurements of both speakers indicate that they should sound very similar (flat frequency & phase response - See attached spec sheets).

My big takeaway was that the HRE1 uses a synergy horn that is very similar to the SM60F, and therefore has a narrow coverage pattern of 60 x 60 degrees. This may not be ideal for a home audio speaker like the HRE1, where it is deployed only 45 inches off the ground, so vertical first reflections are likely going to be an issue. In the horizontal direction, the narrow coverage pattern makes for a pretty narrow listening area. This may be ok for single listener active listening, but not a good setup for having good stereo coverage across a wide swath of the room.

I made a quick CAD model to illustrate the point above. The HRE1s are 8 feet apart, the listener is seated 10 ft from the speakers. Each speaker is toed in by 20 degrees. Basically enough coverage for a large couch. The good news is the first reflections from the left and right wall should not be an issue.

1673102716671.png

1673102941217.png

The ILE3 appears to incorporate a SBH20 Paraline type speaker. The coverage pattern here is 120 x 20 degrees, which greatly reduces the chance of vertical first reflections, while increasing the possibility of having horizontal first reflection issues from the room's side walls. Each speaker is toed in by 10 degrees to optimize coverage area.

1673104923479.png

1673105492418.png

I'm strongly considering buying a pair of ILE3s - Have any other forum members purchased either of the Danley Signature Series speakers discussed above? I would love to hear your feedback before making the investment.

Attachments

• ILE3 Page Spec v.220124.2.pdf
    458.7 KB · Views: 173
  • HRE1 Page Spec Rev.220427.pdf
    310.1 KB · Views: 130
  • PXL_20221025_212221763.jpg
    PXL_20221025_212221763.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

Blackdevil77

These need to be listened to in an environment they are most likely to be used. Everyone that has listened to these so far has listened to them either in a huge warehouse, or in this case, outdoors.

I have PA speakers I used for parties, JBL PRX615m's. Inside, they sound like crap. When I use them in the backyard, they sound much better. I'm not saying that's the case with these, but I think it would be a more accurate representation of what you will get at home.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I had the HRE’s here in a domestic room, they do have a narrow dispersion but they were spectacular, I had them toed in 3m apart 3m listening distance.
I hope to hear the ILEs here soon.
Keith

Matthias McCready

I'm strongly considering buying a pair of ILE3s - Have any other forum members purchased either of the Danley Signature Series speakers discussed above? I would love to hear your feedback before making the investment.

I haven't heard their signature series, but I do own a pair of their Studio 2's which I enjoy.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Tom has a new site ( not quite finished yet)
The ‘Hyperion’ is now the HRE and the ILE3 has changed form too.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Which is the nearest Unity Horn in the Danley live sound range closest to the HRE, the SH50?
Thanks,
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
This was the ‘Hyperion’ , but it doesn’t look as that design is going to materialise ,

Keith

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well if not worse no better, it had fancier feet.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
A photograph of six of the new Danley range these are only prototypes so don’t be concerned re fit and finish prices will range from not a lot to really quite a bit .

More as soon as I know.
Keith

williamwally

Forum Donor
A photograph of six of the new Danley range these are only prototypes so don’t be concerned re fit and finish prices will range from not a lot to really quite a bit .

More as soon as I know.
Keith
Thanks for the update. The one between the hyperion and what I think is the studio 1 looks interesting!

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well it looks as if the Danley HRE1 ( the speaker formerly known as Hyperion) has changed a little.
Drivers on the front now , not sure it is an improvement though.
I would still like a pair here even though I know it would be highly unlikely that I ever sell a pair and it would definitely end in divorce.
ILE3 too

Keith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well it looks as if the Danley HRE1 ( the speaker formerly known as Hyperion) has changed a little.
Drivers on the front now , not sure it is an improvement though.
I would still like a pair here even though I know it would be highly unlikely that I ever sell a pair and it would definitely end in divorce.
ILE3 too

Keith
Maybe you can Frankendanley the two: take the lower part of the ILE3 and put the upper bit of the HRE1 on top of it ;)
1697540546028.png

MKR

Major Contributor
Ah c’mon Keith, live a little, they can be yours for only $46k USD ;)

Top Bottom