• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Todays way to go for Dolby Atmos Preamp

Hello everybody,

im searchin the internet for some days to find an affordable way to get the goal i want.
The goal is to get a surround implementation for dolby format processing.
I use several amps for each speakers in my system and im testing around them.
I want to do:
Media Player, Smart TV, PC or anything to get a movie etc. in dolby format to a processor.
This processor only need to provide the needed channels. I found nothing to do this digital for after multichannel conversation.
So a preamp with a very nice dac is needed. At any reviews i readed here any avr which provides preamp outs the measurements are very bad.
For Stereo Applications i can take other ways so its not important. I can use switches to choose the correct signal way i want.

The only unit i found which nearly do the thing i want is the mini dsp nanoavr. But i found nothing about dolby atmos or anything. I think it will not provided through pcm right??

So is here any product which is good to get this working? Im very thankful for clearance.
Sorry for my bad english. Im from germany :D

Greetings to all!!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
They are expensive but Lyngdorf and, I think, some Trinnov processors will provide digital outputs.

OP
C
Thanks for the response!
I look only for the name and die some deaths.
Affordable is impossible?
PC Soundcards or any other solution?

I would go for the av-reciever preamp way. But all dacs tested here are so bad, that any external dac i have will kill them.
I do not understand why there ist nothing on the market. The only i found which is nearly what i looking for is the miniDSP nanoAVR HDA.
But i only have hdmi out. I found no mch-dac which can convert hdmi to cinch. And there is no information about Codecs like Dolby Atmos for these things. So i dont know if they do what is searching for.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thanks for the response!
I look only for the name and die some deaths.
Affordable is impossible?
As far as I know, these are the only ones.
PC Soundcards or any other solution?
I am ignorant of these but you might look at pro/studio equipment and see if you can do the decoding in software. See Lynx AES16e PCIe sound card ($699)

OP
C
OK! If thats the case so i need a good AV-Reciever.
So now, whats the best AV-Reciever in 1000$/€ Range for HDMI Analog Conversation (Pre Outs?)
The only one i see here which have the requirements of functions i want is the rx-a1080.
So SINAD is not good but better than most.
If the 2080 or 3080 is so much better than this then i would wait to spend more to them.
So what you think? Any other i prefer for my use case??

Thanks for replies

OP
C
Anyone else? For me personally it is a very expensive try and error principle... =)

raif71

Major Contributor
OK! If thats the case so i need a good AV-Reciever.
So now, whats the best AV-Reciever in 1000$/€ Range for HDMI Analog Conversation (Pre Outs?)
The only one i see here which have the requirements of functions i want is the rx-a1080.
So SINAD is not good but better than most.
If the 2080 or 3080 is so much better than this then i would wait to spend more to them.
So what you think? Any other i prefer for my use case??

Thanks for replies
If you can have a listen for yourself is even better. Just go to any AV shop and demo yourself. You might even like the ones without pre-outs and save yourself some money. The Yamaha RX-V series could even be ok for you.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the link above, this card only support Dolby Digital Live and only on Windows. For Atmos, i do not think such a card exist, it would also need more channels.

The lynx card cited above doesn't decode Dolby Atmos.

Doh! You are of course correct.

OP
C
From the link above, this card only support Dolby Digital Live and only on Windows. For Atmos, i do not think such a card exist, it would also need more channels.

The lynx card cited above doesn't decode Dolby Atmos.

exactly this is the problem.

so av-recievers are the only way to get this. There is nothing out there, which can only decode these codecs and d/a converts them.
So buy a reciever and check if its ok except you spend more than 5 thousands. I think the best compromise is to get a decent ess chip in something like rx-a3080 and so on. And for Stereo passthrough mode which is before transformed by an desk converter like sms m500 and so on

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
C
Ok. If my understanding is right. This box can decode it. The 7.1 signal are on the analog outputs. I can if i want go to a processor or use for each channel my own amp just for play!
This is if it works exactly what im searching for.
I choose my processor, i can do with every channel what i want and i decodes atmos.

OP
C
SOO think more futuristic. You should be able to chain them. 16 channels.

Then you can go to dirac processors like mini dsp or whatever you need. For me this can be a game changer.

Puhh im very interested. I hope i can order it.

Last edited:
OP
C
Yes im writing at the time exactly this.
These things extract maximum LPCM.
Atmos is object orientated and not lpcm if i understand right.
So it is a compromise surround not real 3d surround codecs. So av-recievers back to race :D:D:D

maaaan this jungle...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom