• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Today is exactly 40th anniversary of CD in EU/US. Is that a reason to celebrate? How many have you collected? And how do you store your treasures?

Descartes

Major Contributor
My thousands of CDs have been ripped and stored in multi page binders. Same for my collection multichannel SACDs, wished more artists recorded in that format!
I have multiple multi format players from
Sony, OPPO and wished I still had this one.

I then started collected Movies on DVD (600) gave those to Goodwill, Blu-ray movies (+2,000) and now started a 4K collection a few years ago, with 200 and counting 4K movies.

My requirements for buying 4K movies are that they need to be encoded with ATMOS or DTS:X otherwise it’s not worth it since I already have them in Blu-ray format. I occasionally make exceptions for a few movies like the DarkKnight trilogy and a few science fiction classic like 12 Monkeys,

Attachments

• 24D43F73-923C-4616-8F8A-8B11D9CB09D5.jpeg
    24D43F73-923C-4616-8F8A-8B11D9CB09D5.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a couple of hundred.
All stored somewhere safe, next yo my LP's.
Physical media passed its sell by date a few years ago!
At least for me.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
My thousands of CDs have been ripped and stored in multi page binders. Same for my collection multichannel SACDs, wished more artists recorded in that format!
I have multiple multi format players from
Sony, OPPO and wished I still had this one.
I too wish that more labels would release multichannel SACDs. Until the big streaming services go multichannel (if ever?), the SACD can still be a viable option, especially for classical music listeners. (I know our resident expert on music-in-the-round prefers downloads though....)

By the way, is the picture in your post of the original Sony SACD player/bank vault? Impressive machine.

JRS

Major Contributor
I love him and have many very pleasant memories: Buying a CD in 80/90 was still an experience.
Especially plunking down a $20 and getting ones back/while on a students budget. But boy did they perform. My onktvrwal gripe was paying full freight on a previously released album and knowing the cost of the CD was 25 cents vs a buck for a record.

SteveC

Not sure exactly how many I own these days. Let's call it 1500ish. The vast majority have been bought used or deeply discounted. There are some SACD's and HDCD's in the collection as well. Player is an OPPO 105 that I picked up used quite a few years ago and that has never given me a bit of trouble. I'm using a Benchmark DAC 3 for DAC duties. I'm mostly a vinyl guy but I'd say 25% of my music listening is to CD and to Amazon Music Unlimited. One of the local delights is the every-2-months library sale when they are priced at 25 cents (10 cents on half price day). Some of discs are from the library collection but most are donated. Talk about cheap tunes! :)

JRS

Major Contributor
Follow up question.

Who can still play a CD and what equipment would you use if Rip Van Winkle shows up at the door with some CDs he would like to share?
I'd be at a loss. I do have dig out from my CDP but nothing except a laptop without anything but s USB and a 3.5 mm jack that I believe also functions as a mic.input. I knos there are coax to USB converters but when it comes yo software I have nothing but what win ,10 provides. I suspect there may be digital copyright protections I Would have to hurdle.....?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Follow up question.

Who can still play a CD and what equipment would you use if Rip Van Winkle shows up at the door with some CDs he would like to share?
I still have a CD player, though it's not hooked up (I should check eBay to see if it's worth anything). I have an external CD/DVD drive for my computer left over from my ripping phase, so I'd be more inclined to use that.

henologist

I have a pretty small collection, mostly childhood purchases and hand-me-downs, but I've wanted to collect more for a while. By the time I had an allowance to spend on CDs, I was mostly ripping them to 320kbps MP3 for my iPod, but I still preferred to buy CDs over downloads, since it was only a little bit more for something with physicality, and I liked reading liner notes. After a short stint of messing with vinyl collecting, I appreciate them way more; you still get the ritual and the physical fetish but it takes up less space and sounds better and uses cheaper equipment (though I'll still buy dance singles to mix with). It's also infinitely cheaper for small/independent artists to press, so there's still a ton of interesting music that only came out on CDs and never got licensed for streaming.

Objectively, it's a huge technological improvement over vinyl, but, as far as changes to a medium go, it had an even more drastic effect on the video game industry. The PlayStation was what solidified it as the format for games, but there's a lot of interesting experiments with it on systems like the PC Engine/Turbografx for voice-acting, animated cutscenes, redbook audio, etc. It did also lead to a bunch of trash multimedia consoles (3DO, CD-i), but there's still some neat stuff on those. This all ultimately led to Final Fantasy VII being one of the biggest media events ever at the time.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like I get much of this experience using Roon+Qobuz and the New Releases page
Yes except for rare, old or used and sale items. And sometimes they disappear on Qobuz. These were there and now gone.
s-l500.jpg
lee-ritenour_dreamcatcher-cover-500x500.jpg

Descartes

Major Contributor
Fortunately, CDs are officially supposed to last 100 years, aren't they?
Good question, maybe as long as they are kept in a controlled environment for temperature and humidity
I too wish that more labels would release multichannel SACDs. Until the big streaming services go multichannel (if ever?), the SACD can still be a viable option, especially for classical music listeners. (I know our resident expert on music-in-the-round prefers downloads though....)

By the way, is the picture in your post of the original Sony SACD player/bank vault? Impressive machine.
unfortunately I sold it because it didn’t do multichannel, know I regret it, bu TV hey it’s only stuff!

Keith_W

Major Contributor

May I ask how you ripped your multichannel SACD's? What format are your DSD files in? .dsf format?

Top Bottom