• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

To upsample or not...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
What I read was basically a peeing contest on who claimed what and who should provide proof for which claims.

That's how it goes with the subject, since there is such a lack of evidence regarding the claims often made.

tuga

Major Contributor
That's how it goes with the subject, since there is such a lack of evidence regarding the claims often made.

There's lack of evidence of audibility but the effects show up in measurements.
We just need to gather data and prove or refute the possibility of it producing audible effects. Until then, it's a tie.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
There's lack of evidence of audibility but the effects show up in measurements.
We just need to gather data and prove or refute the possibility of it producing audible effects. Until then, it's a tie.

If there is no difference in audibility that can be demonstrated, how is that a tie?

I don't believe anyone disputes whether there is a measured difference.

As is typical, we have claims of audible differences with zero backup.

tuga

Major Contributor
If there is no difference in audibility that can be demonstrated, how is that a tie?

I have yet to see the studies which demonstrate that there is no difference in audibility.

Leporello

I have yet to see the studies which demonstrate that there is no difference in audibility.
We will never see such studies. I have yet to see a study demonstrating that a small green teapot is not orbiting the earth. Until then it is a tie.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've faced some issues with SRC in case of KRK ERGO.
There was audible difference when incoming SR was different from 96 KHz (I assume it's SR of inner DSP). So, I have applied SRC in software and preferred it.
So, if your equipment have permanent DSP applied, then it might be beneficial to try incoming SR of this DSP ...

Nobleman

No native mode?
No, the output sample rate is fixed in OSX.BUT a genius coder has developed a small prog called LosslessSwitcher which adds this functionality to OSX (Bigsur and above, intel macs only) I am happy as a clam now! The app is still beta but works quite well. The only annoyance is that it changes the sample rate abruptly some times. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Nobleman

EryYes I do that for much the same reason. Doesn't make things sound worse and appeals to my numerical OCD (44.1 is an ungainly number). When I'm feeling zen at 3 am it sounds better too, but there's no science in that observation.
Unfortunately my Magnepan 1.6s sound very different with upsampled tracks. it is very noticeable to me even at my age…

djtetei

The key question here is: upsampling what and what for?
If you already have an original material in digital format at 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz or 96 kHz, there is nothing to be gained by upsampling. You cannot add something that is not there, in the first place.
Upsampling matters alot when processing / editing material in digital domain.
Sample rate matters the most in the recording stage of the mixing process.
If the original material is already in digital format, you keep it there and play it at its original samplerate and bit depth, because it was mastered and intended to be played this way.

Last edited:

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"To upsample or not"

- If signal processing (e.g. DSP / EQ) definitely yes

Top Bottom