• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

To EQ Or Not To EQ, that’s the question.

Countach

This is my setting for Massdrop HiFiMAN HE-4XX.

eq.jpg

Guetta

After playing with EQ, I decided that I just need increased sub-bass on my DT990, nothing else from EQ. Can you help me to add just a little bit of that on low end. What should be the correct way doing that?

bobbooo

Major Contributor
With a frequency response like the following, it actually could:

View attachment 80803

It definitely won't, for three reasons: it's based on inaccurate measurements (especially in the table), you seem to be targeting a flat response (most definitely not what you want for headphones), and you're using a graphic equalizer (fixed Q-value and center frequency for each EQ band, which is not adequate for proper EQing - you really need a parametric equalizer with adjustable Q and frequencies). Try these parametric EQ settings based on professionally made measurements using accurate, industry standard equipment instead.

Blujackaal

They don't really need a boost at 500-1000 Hz. Otherwise it looks fine.

I moved it too 800Hz there a -1.1db dip i can hear in few Power metal tracks i did demos with, I've changed 7k band to 7.2k. The EQ fixes everything with stock sound it sounds more resolving than stock with more fuller bass/less hot upper mids(1.6KHz).

Windofrce

The Filter Number, Filter type, frequency, gain, and Q(width) correspondingly to the table on the EQ pdf.

View attachment 80766
Hi, can anyone confirm that the only values I need to change are the values selected on picture above? Nothing else? I want to EQ my Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones using Oratory's preset below.
1602284190300.png

Top Bottom