• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

To EQ Or Not To EQ, that’s the question.

Windofrce

That one should automatically dial the gain to -3dB.
No matter what digital EQ you use it will always be at the cost of volume/output level.
if I add +3db on low end frequencies the headphones become like 70% quieter than without EQ . If I apply values from Oratory's page, it is not that quiet. Even with Oratory's preset I am not satisfied how they sounds. It looks like something is missing, there is no details and crispness like without EQ (DT990). Or maybe I just prefer the headphones like they are from the box...?

kkeretic

if I add +3db on low end frequencies the headphones become like 70% quieter than without EQ . If I apply values from Oratory's page, it is not that quiet. Even with Oratory's preset I am not satisfied how they sounds. It looks like something is missing, there is no details and crispness like without EQ (DT990). Or maybe I just prefer the headphones like they are from the box...?

I don't like Oratory parameters neither. Try the recommended params for your headphones from the author of AutoEq. At least as a base for further fine tuning.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You need to stick with EQ for a while and not switch back and forth.

In the treble Oratory is not correct. It can't be.
It is only correct on his rig after EQ belonging to that test fixture, that result is nice and flat.
Never EQ exactly to a single measurement would be my advice.
Instead look around for other plots and look for the average deviation.

Windofrce

You need to stick with EQ for a while and not switch back and forth.

In the treble Oratory is not correct. It can't be.
It is only correct on his rig after EQ belonging to that test fixture, that result is nice and flat.
Never EQ exactly to a single measurement would be my advice.
Instead look around for other plots and look for the average deviation.
Do you know why if I set +3db from 31H down to 20Hz I have very quiet sound even when changing preamp settings

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Maybe the software dials down the volume so the maximum + adjustment range can be used ?

tentoesdown

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro (elevated sub bass, treble peak decreased).
Forgot to mention these settings can be used for both the light and dark grey earpads. Dark grey pads will have slighter less bass extension.
Added a 2nd gen curve, lowered the Bass extensions by about 1 db.
View attachment 19818Hello, which program did you use to Eq the Dt 1990 pro headphones? i have a pair and want to Eq out some treble.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I EQ therefore I am.

boxerfan88

For the MathAudio HPEQ “Low Shelf” setting… what is the typical Q that is used?

1.0 or 0.7 or something else?

Top Bottom