• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

To DAC or not to DAC?

MLaranjeiras

So the results are only valid for you and inline with your personal preferences, subjective impression, biases, in your room, on your system and not for anyone else - correct?

Absolutely! All IMO, according my personal taste.

itz_all_about_the_music

It won’t if you are using pure direct mode. Because the room correction software and bass management software will also be bypassed. And these will have a much bigger impact on the sound than changing the DAC.

And if you aren’t using pure direct mode, then it won’t improve the sound either. Because the analog input would then get converted back to digital for room correction and bass management processing, the sent to the onboard dac for conversion back to analog to send out to your speakers.
As an advanced AVR owner in a 5-2 setup, I understand the many claims made at this site that room correction benefits far exceed any other approach. But, like Hattrick I very often listen in Direct in 2-2 because: a) my room resonances are quite well controlled w/o digital correction, b) any DSP processing veils the sound, distorts transients, difuses imaging. So I see merit to this inquiry/goals.

Jpdelaney.tml

I use a Yamaha RX-V620 as a Optical switch, 3 in, 1 out to a balanced DAC with single ended too. Feed Yam from DAC back through CD "No Effect" selected, and balanced to separate amp. Sounds better to me than the old AKM DAC)DSPs used in Yam in "Normal" mode. Wiim Mini and CD as spdif sources.
113 SINAD DAC(ASR)
Very happy, new life for old kit.

MLaranjeiras

I made a test to compare the sound of my Laserdisc Player Sony MDP 600 right to the amplifier via RCA and via DAC Topping D50S, using an optical cable from the LD to the DAC and from the DAC to the amplifier. No diferences perceived in a not well controlled room. I used RCA cables BlueJeans and WBC Amphenol.

Top Bottom