• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

To Atmos or not

birdog1960

We're all looking for the best sound. Perhaps some here not in movies, but I am. Got 2 extra very adequate atmos speakers after upgrading fronts. Receiver can accomodate atmos and I play music in stereo so nothing to lose there. Huge room but it already sounds very good to me for movies. Running atmos wires will be a PITA and would not be aesthetically pleasing for the room although WAF is there. Opinions on whether the movie experience improvement is worth it?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know, but if you have all the gear run something temporary maybe from cheap 2x4 tall stands or something. See if you like it enough to go to the trouble for a good clean looking installation.

Jazz

Atmos is object based so, even cheap speakers all around can sound incredible. Especially Atmos Music. I am afraid the olden days of speakers making a big difference, in the case of this technology, matter less. The ROI is less. But more speakers, even small ones, in an Atmos set up can make a difference. During the pandemic, the Atmos mixer with a major label worked at home, in his living room. Which he converted to Atmos using whatever speakers he had laying around! He admitted, they were not pro level speakers but, it pretty much did not matter. I think he still uses the set up to check his work done in a state of the art Atmos editing suite when he gets home.
Having said all that, my set up only has stereo, sub, center, and some repurposed heights on high shelves point direct at me. Mostly because it is a PITA to run the wires for that room. I had hoped to buy some Yamaha MusicCast rears but, the company has stopped making them! But the AVR adapts to the missing speakers automatically and it still sounds incredible! The key is being sure to have the Atmos height speakers. Pointed down from ceiling is ideal and 4, if your AVR can handle that many. I just have two and point them from high shelves. It works!
So the short answer is try anything out you have now. Be sure to read the AVR manual so you know ideal placement and spacing.

OP
B

birdog1960

The music cast speakers are a good idea. Less work involved and neater installation. Going to check but I believe my Denon x3500 will do 5.1 wired and 2 unwired. of course, i'll need denon speakers. probably get some I can send back if not happy.

Webninja

Forum Donor
I have a 7.4 system and did the 4 in ceiling Atmos before getting the subs.

In terms of priority and overall impact, subs. Don’t get my wrong, Atmos for movies and music that are mixed properly is satisfying, but subtle.

Adding subs about a year after the Atmos was night and day. (I have decent floorstanders too).

OP
B

birdog1960

yeah, Denon says I can't do HEOS and wired 5.1 simultaneously for Atmos. Oh well, it's worth running some speaker wire across the room and trying with some old speakers.

moonlight rainbow dream

I am actually on the verge of downgrading from 5.2.4 to 5.2. Most of the issue I'm guessing is I'm handicapped by my small room dimensions and low ceiling height, and the other part is that impactful use of atmos in most content is sparse. Like 90% of the time that the heights are active at all, it is literally just ambient/environmental sound. I have a hunch that I will not sorely miss the height channels. I'm now just focused on getting the absolute max performance out of my LCR and side surrounds instead of having tons of speakers. I am actually in the process of converting my DIY LCR to active crossovers so I can tweak the sound even more.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can you arrange a temporary setup to see whether doing a permanent installation is worth it to you?

OP
B

birdog1960

65534F78-198D-46BD-A94A-1C80D3D9FDB6.jpeg

Can you arrange a temporary setup to see whether doing a permanent installation is worth it to you?
yes, that's what I'm going to do. I'm expecting to be disappointed as it’s a huge room. The bmr’s need wires rerouted as well.

Top Bottom