• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TiVo is having a big promotion...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
https://www.tivo.com/

They are offering significant discounts on several of their boxes, including huge discounts on lifetime service.

I've never used their platform, but might give it a try. I notice optical out on several boxes, which is never a bad thing.

I don't see these mentioned as a streamer option very often...any experiences worth sharing?

Screenshot_20200319-155237.png

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had their service back in the early 2000s, and modified my box with a larger hard drive myself. It was a game changer back then before streaming services. But I just don't see the appeal nowadays.

Silly Valley

Forum Donor
The only thing that comes to my mind when hearing TiVo is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivoization. Just a heads up for people who don't want to give money to a company not playing by the rules.
Really? I have bigger worries in life than tweaking my Tivo.

Overall, while far from perfect still my favorite TV Box even with all the options we have today.

OP
BDWoody

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I had their service back in the early 2000s, and modified my box with a larger hard drive myself. It was a game changer back then before streaming services. But I just don't see the appeal nowadays.

I'd be getting the combo box that let's you use a cable card, as well as OTA so I wouldn't need to rent the Comcast box.
I also have some parts of the house that would be a pain to run cable to, and i could use the mini boxes there as well. I'm interested in how well it is able to integrate all the online sources...always been curious about how well it works. With the lifetime subscription as low as it is, thought this would be a time to give it a whirl.

Top Bottom