• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tips on uploading images

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello everyone. I thought I share some tips that I use for uploading images for the best fidelity and smallest size (I pay for server storage :) ).

1. Make sure the horizontal size is not more than 1000 pixels. The forum software happily accepts larger sizes but then shrinks them for display if over this width. For organic images (people, landscape, etc.) this is fine but not for graphics. Resizing makes graphs or anything with fonts look softer/fuzzier. User can click on them to get the larger original size but this is an extra step and many don't know to do this.

2. For graphs and screen snapshots, most of the time it is best to save them in .png format as this is a lossless format. If you are using Photoshop, click the option for smallest size. This reduces the color palette with minor, if any degradation in fidelity of your graphs. The space saving can be quite remarkable (almost 2:1). Sometimes if there are very few colors, .gif format generates smaller files.

3. For natural images shot with your camera and such, jpeg is the format of choice. Here, again make sure to resize your image first to 1000 pixels or smaller (width). Adjust the compression ratio so that the file size is below 100 Kbytes, but preferably smaller than 50 Kbytes.

4. Please, please don't just grab an image form your phone and post it! These images are often thousands of pixels wide and quite large. They will look soft per #1 above and at any rate, use up a lot of server space. Our server uses SSD storage which is fast but more expensive than hard disk. As such, we all need to do our bit to keep the amount of storage small.

5. Back to graphics, please don't take snapshots of your entire high-resolution computer display. If you are using Windows, use the Clipping Tool and cut out the part that is of interest. It is very hard to read the small text of your entire desktop in a forum that is basically 1000 pixels wide.

6. Large images slow down page loads for everyone. Having to fetch hundreds of kilobytes or even megabytes makes little sense just to read a post.

If you want examples of above, look at my reviews. I spend quite a bit of time in optimizing images. Most product pictures are only 30 or 35 Kbytes! This is done by using very simple backgrounds that turns into white and hence compresses quite well. Again, graphics are sized to be just what is needed.

Following these guidelines are good for you, our readers and the site.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Thanks for the detailed instructions. This probably should be pinned! I may have posted several images 500kb and up in the past — well, very likely. One can sometimes forget that the forum is not Flickr or a dedicated photos hosting site. Compression and lossy media still is necessary with the internet even today.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be great if the images larger than say 1000 pixels would be auto-resized and stored, so storage space could be saved.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Is there not a way you can set a size limit within the upload function, or have it automatically re-size images as they are uploaded?
Automatic resizing is the way forward, till then I suggest we take the opportunity to upload as big a picture as we can ..

After all Amirm pays for it ha ha

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would be great if the images larger than say 1000 pixels would be auto-resized and stored, so storage space could be saved.
This has been requested of the platform provider many times and they just roll their eyes and say they won't do it because everyone wants to do it differently or some other lame excuse.

hege

Forum Donor
This has been requested of the platform provider many times and they just roll their eyes and say they won't do it because everyone wants to do it differently or some other lame excuse.

I don't understand.

I administer Xenforo 2.1 board too, and images are not a problem.

We set attachment max dimensions to 1280x1280 (and PHP built-in GD image library). Also max upload size 10MB.

Anything larger than that gets automatically resized to 1280px from longest dimension. Most images end up approx 100kB in size. No matter if it's a huge image directly from phone (it helps non-technical users very much to allow this).

PS. Suggest also setting this in config.php:
$config['maxImageResizePixelCount'] = 30000000;

PPS. I know, many things are not properly documented. But Xenforo is pleasure to use and admin compared to others I've used, most of the stuff works really well.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the new Windows Powertoys adds a handy image resizing tool the Explorer context menu:

1603486163732.png

I always resize album covers, etc. to 'small' before uploading to ASR.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's not what it means. Xenforo will "resize" the image for presentation as you see in the threads (to 1000 pixels or so as I explained at the outset). But this does NOT reduce the size of the original image which is stored as uploaded. Indeed I had to just reduce the max size to 1 Meg as before it was 16 meg and such and people were uploading massive files. Here is an example that prompted me to reduce the max upload size:

1604962782339.png

As you see, the system happily accepted and stored the massive files. If you click on the file, then you get the original size and view.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Kind of ironic, hey @amirm?

We all want uncompressed, high resolution audio on ASR, but when it comes to images, we want lossy compressed or small for storage reasons on the forum :)

I think you need MQI. Master Quality Images. Unfolds the original 24bit image but stores it all in an origami container. Lights up a blue LED when the image is authenticated.

:facepalm:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
some forums will automatically shrink pics to fit the procrustean bed... any chance of that here?

hege

Forum Donor
If this is Xenforo 2.1, it will shrink original saved images, see my last message. Just have to use correct settings (set max dimensions).

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
That's not what it means. Xenforo will "resize" the image for presentation as you see in the threads (to 1000 pixels or so as I explained at the outset). But this does NOT reduce the size of the original image which is stored as uploaded. Indeed I had to just reduce the max size to 1 Meg as before it was 16 meg and such and people were uploading massive files. Here is an example that prompted me to reduce the max upload size:

View attachment 92454

As you see, the system happily accepted and stored the massive files. If you click on the file, then you get the original size and view.

Do you have Adobe Photoshop?

Within Photoshop you can set up batch jobs: https://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/tutorials/photoshop/how-resize-multiple-images-in-photoshop/

If you don't have Photoshop, you coud try this: https://www.diytechguides.com/resize-multiple-images-at-once-in-windows-10/

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you,

Now that explains the reason, my last days uploads were refused.
Will set the limit or resize accordingly.
To overcome this, I made sized screenshots of the Jpeg .
After all:
We do not really need HighRez pictures for the "crazy LS", the "nicest speaker" or best design aso ...

Top Bottom