• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tips on uploading images

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's the easy way. I think most of us here on ASR want to do it the hard way; therefore I advise everyone to download the free (as in beer) GNU GIMP image manipulation thing. :)

One point anent your good suggestion: I note how MS realized that PowerToy Resize was potentially too easy and too convenient for the end user. With Win Tin 10 you could just right click on the image and pick the resize option. In 11, they've hidden fixed that-- now end user has to click the 'show more options' button in the dialog box and then scroll down the elongated list, in order to find what used to be right in front of you.

There's an explanation of why Microsoft simplified the context menu and a reg hack to get the old one back in this article...

I have mixed feelings about it myself. I like the smaller menu, but would like to be able to pin frequently used items to it.

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the smaller menu, but would like to be able to pin frequently used items to it.
That would be the best way, for sure. And the overall cleanest way to make life easier for the end-user. Best and easy, along with focus on the end-user are, however, not bullet points in any MS job description. At least one presumes it, given what the company typically comes up with.

The Registry? And as I've always argued, once you have to dive into the Registry to fix something that should never have been broken, well... good luck with that.

For resizing, the PowerToy tool appears to be about the simplest thing I've seen. And there is a sort of GUI work-around in Win 11 that will import the specific tool to your right click 'open' menu. Not drag and drop, and requires a few steps. But that is not my fault. Plus, it's surely more convenient than using the GIMP! :(

Right click an image file
Click on 'Open With'
Click on 'Choose Another App'

When you get to the 'How do you want to open this file' box
Scroll down to 'More Apps'
Scroll down to 'Look for Another App on this PC'

Move to Local Disc (C:/ ) [probably... your set up might be different]
Scroll down to 'Win PowerToys' and open that file folder

Click on the 'Modules' folder
In 'modules' click on the 'Image Resizer' folder

Scroll down to 'PowerToys.ImageResizer.exe' and click on that.

Once you do that the system change is made, and you can right click on your image, and then click 'Open With'

Then click on 'Image Resizer' directly, without having to go through the 'show more options' menu.

All said, if you want to use the GIMP, below links to a nice tutorial showing some in-depth resize options. I only link to it because there's a pretty girl smiling on the page. That's certainly worth something.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be the best way, for sure. And the overall cleanest way to make life easier for the end-user. Best and easy, along with focus on the end-user are, however, not bullet points in any MS job description. At least one presumes it, given what the company typically comes up with.

I just found out that if you hold the SHIFT key when right clicking on a file, it will open the expanded (old style) context menu :)

Developers can still add items ('verbs') to the new context menu, but there's a new way to do this and there are more controls on how the resulting menu is organized...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI - Release v0.60.0 of Powertoys adds...
  • PowerRename and Image Resizer now appear on the new Windows 11 context menu.
Known Issues...
  • After installing PowerToys, the Windows 11 new context menu entries for PowerRename and Image Resizer may not appear before a restart.
  • On some Windows 11 dev channel insider builds, the new context menu entries are not registering correctly and the classic context menu entries will be shown instead.

Top Bottom