• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tips on uploading images

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
XnView has batch processing. It's super easy to use and it's free. Basically open the batch processing window, click on the few various functions you want to have performed and then select the size of the final images. It's as easy as I've seen.

https://www.xnview.com/en/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you have Adobe Photoshop?
I do. I am not the problem. Membership is :). And no, they don't all have photoshop. It is incredible to me that resizing photos is not a native feature of operating systems.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is incredible to me that resizing photos is not a native feature of operating systems.
In Macs it is, you open it in Preview go to Tools and Adjust Size, and you choose any unit for size to use, using pixels would be the most apt choice.

I just did this for the graphs I‘ll have to post in a few minutes :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It is incredible to me that resizing photos is not a native feature of operating systems.

Even back in the day we had to use "screen grab pro" and then the XP powertoys with image resizer.

Now at least Microsoft has resurrected the Powertoys resizer.

https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

1605049163147.png

The native Win10 Photos App isn't half bad and has an excellent resizer built in. Trouble is, it cannot do bulk resizing.

1605049254691.png

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I do. I am not the problem. Membership is

I was thinking you could download all the images, resize them, then re-upload them to free up space on the server. I know you struggle to find enough things to fill your spare time. :p

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I was thinking you could download all the images, resize them, then re-upload them to free up space on the server.

Or @amirm could temporarily re-instate the "edit" function so members could resize their own images to smaller sizes. I'd be happy to go back and fix any huge images if I knew which ones they were.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Somewhat related, seems like instagram embedding doesn't work? I think it used to, and other forums based on the software supports it?

Dustyc

How do you get the image to appear in the body of the text area? The few pics I've uploaded are just a thumbnail down in the corner. You have to double click on it to see larger size.
Thanks!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
How do you get the image to appear in the body of the text area? The few pics I've uploaded are just a thumbnail down in the corner. You have to double click on it to see larger size.
Thanks!

On the left side of the attached image should be an 'insert' option. Select that, then you have a choice of thumbnail or full size. Select one, and the image should show up in the message where your cursor is.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Somewhat related, seems like instagram embedding doesn't work? I think it used to, and other forums based on the software supports it?
Instagram just announced that all uploads will eventually be cropped to 9x16 (a lot of photographers are pissed), so maybe they are changing the code right now.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Instagram just announced that all uploads will eventually be cropped to 9x16 (a lot of photographers are pissed), so maybe they are changing the code right now.

Hm, still works on another forum I'm on that uses the same software.

Katji

Major Contributor
Or you can just copy the image and paste it at the cursor location!

On the left side of the attached image should be an 'insert' option. Select that, then you have a choice of thumbnail or full size. Select one, and the image should show up in the message where your cursor is.

Katji

Major Contributor
Instagram changes...I've just been fiddling - last few days - to get back to being able to [right-click | open link in new tab] without it redirecting to the login page. Changed cookie handling.

ja and can't link images. (Can't get a proper URL without parameters anyway.)

Katji

Major Contributor
Instead of attaching an image via attach files in the bottom, you can use the View attachment 204447 in the toolbar above. This places the image in the body directly.

Which also has a tab that allows you to enter the image URL iow the link instead of uploading attachments which is the problem this thread is about. Then the image size (file size) does not matter.

Katji

Major Contributor
Or you can just copy the image and paste it at the cursor location!

@amirm , set the config/whatever for max size image upload as per...

I administer Xenforo 2.1 board too, and images are not a problem.

We set attachment max dimensions to 1280x1280 (and PHP built-in GD image library). Also max upload size 10MB.

Anything larger than that gets automatically resized to 1280px from longest dimension. Most images end up approx 100kB in size. No matter if it's a huge image directly from phone (it helps non-technical users very much to allow this).

PS. Suggest also setting this in config.php:
$config['maxImageResizePixelCount'] = 30000000;

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the new Windows Powertoys adds a handy image resizing tool the Explorer context menu:
That's the easy way. I think most of us here on ASR want to do it the hard way; therefore I advise everyone to download the free (as in beer) GNU GIMP image manipulation thing. :)

One point anent your good suggestion: I note how MS realized that PowerToy Resize was potentially too easy and too convenient for the end user. With Win Tin 10 you could just right click on the image and pick the resize option. In 11, they've hidden fixed that-- now end user has to click the 'show more options' button in the dialog box and then scroll down the elongated list, in order to find what used to be right in front of you.

Top Bottom