• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tips for measurement and setup of passive to active speaker conversion

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I foolishly damaged my mid-woofers on my old Proac Tablette IIIs. Not being able to get the drivers anymore I thought I would experiment with what I could get that would fit. Of course, what I can get won't match the old ones so I thought I would take the chance to experiment with an active conversion. I am replacing them with SB Acoustics SB12PFC25-8 which will work OK with the existing enclosure as a sealed box or perhaps even as vented with the existing "resistive straw stuffed" port. Won't be ideal but I will measure it and the likely hump may offset some of the baffle step correction required. Existing tweeters are an earlier version of Scan-speak D2010.

I intend to provide overall EQ up front with an RME ADI-2 PRO DAC then it will go to a Lyngdorf DPA-1 preamp which has a two way crossover with adjustable levels (up to 8 way LR plus BW as well). One feed to 1st amp and tweeters. The bass/mid will then go to a sub to then 80 or 100 Hz HP filter to the 2nd amp and woofers. Both amps class D with the same gain.

Has anyone got any advice for a general process for measurement and EQ/level setup for this application? I have done nearfield and in-room response measurements before with REW but tips to do gated midfield to have a better idea of far field driver response would be helpful. The RoomPerfect EQ will be done again once the basics have been adjusted right.

OP
dougi

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
to clarify, yes I have removed the crossovers and split the terminals so they are ready to go as a fully active sat/sub system.

Top Bottom