• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tips and cables- for IEMs

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not going to discuss the "sound" of these things but IEM are definitely an area where cables matter. I have recently found the "wrong" cable for an IEM can ruin the experience due to comfort/ fit issues. Likewise, tips. The wrong tips for one's own ears and indeed the design of an IEM can make or break the experience.

I dont swap cables for the sake of it, but if the termination on the stock cable isnt correct (I tend to want 2.5mm) or the stock cable just isnt comfy then off to Amazon/ Aliexpress/ Shenzhenaudio I go. For tips, very rarely do I find stock tips that work just right for me to get the best seal and comfort for my ears and the shell design.

Regarding cables- a recent discovery for me was that not all 0.78mm terminations are the same- particularly you have cables for flush connections and for recessed. I had a dog of a time finding a replacement for some IEM with a flush termination- the ones with the "block" below the main plug housing (see the Zonie below- for recessed terminations) made the wire stand too proud before the bend of the ear hook on a pair with flush holes in the shell.

So- post your favourite IEM/ cable/ tip combos , and perhaps even more helpfully, any combos that didnt work for you and why.

My defaults:

Cables :

For recessed 2pin (most 2 pin IEM) :
Tripowin Zonie . Go for the grey - not all Zonies are made equally. This is flexible, soft and has a good chin slider (other colours have a worse designed slider). Available in most terminations at either end. Good value https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linsoul-Tr...t=&hvlocphy=9046626&hvtargid=pla-871238324621

For flush 2 pin (Moondrop s8, Thieaudio Oracle):

Kinera Ace- bit pricey for my liking but works - plus multiple terminations. Nice and soft. https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...e-with-interchangeable-connectors-2-5-3-5-4-4

Tips:

Spinfit CP155 - I take the large blue but obviously depends on the individual. These have a very wide bore so need IEM with a chunky nozzle (think Truthear Zero and the Moondrop s8/ B2 styles) but have a slender and slightly extended conical tip than other silicone designs. Work just right for me. https://www.amazon.co.uk/SpinFit-CP155-Patented-Silicone-Replacement/dp/B078RF1S37/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2CPRA56REJ32X&keywords=spinfit+cp155&qid=1679242445&sprefix=spinfit+cp155,aps,128&sr=8-1

Moondrop Spinfit

Works better for those IEM shell types that want to block the entrance to your ear canal rather than go deep- perfect on my Thieaudio Oracle for me https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...icone-soft-earphone-ear-tips-for-iems-3-pairs

Some IEM I have not been able to get the right fit for:

Moondrop Kato and Starfield- no tips I have tried will get these to stay securely in place. I can barely keep them in place when sitting- zero chance when laying down or walking. I suspect the shell itself is just not right for my ears - too small to hold its own weight in the curve of my ear so always pulls out.

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I might be Spinfits best customer :D

V0Y6s9h.jpg

As for cables, I use a Tripowin Zonie. It's okay, but not perfect. Mine smelled really bad when it was new. I would like something better, but I see mostly really expensive artisan cables where you don't know if they're any better. What I mean with better:

- Stay put where they are not react to drag, i.e. don't pull my IEM backwards

The rest is really good with the Tripowin, I have 0 microfonics. Also. Also nobody makes a 2pin -> 6.3mm cable, but most highend headphone amps have 6.3mm...

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also nobody makes a 2pin -> 6.3mm cable, but most highend headphone amps have 6.3mm...
Good point- but I suspect the ready availability of 3.5-6.35 adapters means they figure there wouldnt be much of a market for one hard wired onto the cable. Also- rightly or wrongly- the IEM is perceived as a mobile device and aint no 6.35mm portable dongles/ dacs/ laptops/ phones out there to my knowledge.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now for the hall of shame..

Etymotic cables- especially the thinner twisted type with the ER4/// range. I suspect the design of these 'phones means microphonics will always be an issue on zips/ beards etc but did they have to bundle their ToTL units with the most microphonic cable known to man?

Dunu SA-6 cable. Lovely earphone- rightly praised for comfort, The cable tends to get some love too. Sure, it looks and feels great (in the hand) but something in the weight/ size and the curve of the ear hook portion was just damned uncomfortable for me. Could not wear the IEM for more than 30 mins without fearing I would get sore spots behind my lugs!

I suppose the point to all of this being- for any headphone or IEM, the trick is to get the fit right for ones ears whilst trying to make the physical sensations as unobtrusive as possible given you have some plastic/ metal/ silicone jammed in or on your ear holes. So manufacturers really need to get that right as much as the sonics- IMHO.

Oh , and to anyone making an IEM cable- please think about the chin toggle design. It needs to serve 3 main purposes. One to prevent microphonics in use, two to keep a secure fit (so not sliding down every two seconds) and also to slide up to the ear end to prevent tangles when packing up/ storing. Please make designs that do all 3 well please.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got some Etymotics I need to give away because I found there is no making it comfortable to me with something that deep in my ear canal. No real IEMs for me I think. They sound really good in place, but I cannot stand it for long.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got some Etymotics I need to give away because I found there is no making it comfortable to me with something that deep in my ear canal. No real IEMs for me I think. They sound really good in place, but I cannot stand it for long.
The fit surely is something of an acquired taste.

The biggest sin for me is that they are absolutely the best for staying in place (even when walking) and blocking out the world but have such horrid microphonics which often negates the 2 main benefits.

markanini

Major Contributor

marv

Hi, What etymotic do you own?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Chances are you still didn't insert in deep enough: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-deep-do-you-insert-you-er4.html
(Obviously I'm not advising this)
Actually yes I did. They sound clearly better this deep. The best advice is about hearing your voice resonate. You can try it with a finger may need your pinky. You can plug your ear and speak or just open your mouth and say "ahhhh". You'll hear a deepened resonance. Get the finger in a little further and the resonance is gone and your voice sounds clear. This is where the Etymotic needs to be to work properly. Too me it needs to sit too deeply for my comfort, but others seem unbothered by it. Maybe a difference in ear canal shapes. Maybe custom molds would work, but I am pretty sure I'd still be bothered by the depth of insertion needed.

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Etymotic cables- especially the thinner twisted type with the ER4

Yep, Bought an Etymotic ER4-P way back in 2005 to use with my iPod/Iriver H340 but could only use it sat absolutely still due to the gawd-awful cable microphonics.

Best cable I currently have is the cable that came with my Dunu Vulkan, I prefer right angled cables to use with mojo2/poly.

52252132063_48c0d1e3d5_h.jpg

Dunu 02S cable

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, Bought an Etymotic ER4-P way back in 2005 to use with my iPod/Iriver H340 but could only use it sat absolutely still due to the gawd-awful cable microphonics.

Best cable I currently have is the cable that came with my Dunu Vulkan, I prefer right angled cables to use with mojo2/poly.

52252132063_48c0d1e3d5_h.jpg

Dunu 02S cable
Interestingly, that Dunu cable looks suspiciously like an MMCX version of the one on their SA-6 (2pin) which I found unusable due to the guage/ weight/ stiffness behind my ears. Humans are difficult beasts to please, for sure!

Honken

I bought the Tripowin Zonie on your recommendation @Jimbob54 and it isthe best IEM cable I've tried. It doesn't tangle whilst being supple, and the ear hooks feel good. Thanks for the tip!

As for well, tips, I also echo the recommendation for the Moondrop Spring tips, feels very soft and secure in at least my ears.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted a good and cheap cable for my IEMs with the option of swapping the plug. High end IEMs come with these type of cables, but until now I only found these kind of cables too expensive.

Finally I found the one below and ordered (2 pin 0.78mm for my Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk, black).

Cable with 3.5 mm plug:

4.4 mm balanced plug:

Total 15 usd with free shipping. Let's see when it arrives.

Hc3f9dda911344eac951731cdad83ca29B.jpg

2pin.jpg

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Oh yes, tell me about cables.

I went to a shop that specializes in headphones. I told them that I want a good quality cable which is non-microphonic, has a mouldable ear rest, and is tangle resistant. And I don't mind if it's expensive.

So I was shown a few cables, before I found one that I liked. I asked how much it was ... $1500!!!

I naively thought that an "expensive" cable would be $100. I was so wrong. I walked out without buying anything.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Matias My only concern with no 1 would be at the earpiece end. That shrink wrap curl looks heavy and too rigid for my liking. There isn't much of a stub betwen the prongs and the barrel of the 0.78 plugs either so iem with more recessed sockets might be an issue.

Cant argue with the price of it works though.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted a good and cheap cable for my IEMs with the option of swapping the plug. High end IEMs come with these type of cables, but until now I only found these kind of cables too expensive.

Finally I found the one below and ordered (2 pin 0.78mm for my Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk, black).

Cable with 3.5 mm plug:

4.4 mm balanced plug:

Total 15 usd with free shipping. Let's see when it arrives.

View attachment 285836

View attachment 285839

It looks really nice, but I think you'd end up with a rather bulky barrel hanging off the 2.5mm plug - I appreciate that you haven't bought a 2.5mm, but that's why I discounted this cable as it's the connection I used with my Q5K.

PaPoMusik

I'm not going to discuss the "sound" of these things but IEM are definitely an area where cables matter. I have recently found the "wrong" cable for an IEM can ruin the experience due to comfort/ fit issues. Likewise, tips. The wrong tips for one's own ears and indeed the design of an IEM can make or break the experience.

I dont swap cables for the sake of it, but if the termination on the stock cable isnt correct (I tend to want 2.5mm) or the stock cable just isnt comfy then off to Amazon/ Aliexpress/ Shenzhenaudio I go. For tips, very rarely do I find stock tips that work just right for me to get the best seal and comfort for my ears and the shell design.

Regarding cables- a recent discovery for me was that not all 0.78mm terminations are the same- particularly you have cables for flush connections and for recessed. I had a dog of a time finding a replacement for some IEM with a flush termination- the ones with the "block" below the main plug housing (see the Zonie below- for recessed terminations) made the wire stand too proud before the bend of the ear hook on a pair with flush holes in the shell.

So- post your favourite IEM/ cable/ tip combos , and perhaps even more helpfully, any combos that didnt work for you and why.

My defaults:

Cables :

For recessed 2pin (most 2 pin IEM) :
Tripowin Zonie . Go for the grey - not all Zonies are made equally. This is flexible, soft and has a good chin slider (other colours have a worse designed slider). Available in most terminations at either end. Good value https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linsoul-Tr...t=&hvlocphy=9046626&hvtargid=pla-871238324621

For flush 2 pin (Moondrop s8, Thieaudio Oracle):

Kinera Ace- bit pricey for my liking but works - plus multiple terminations. Nice and soft. https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...e-with-interchangeable-connectors-2-5-3-5-4-4

Tips:

Spinfit CP155 - I take the large blue but obviously depends on the individual. These have a very wide bore so need IEM with a chunky nozzle (think Truthear Zero and the Moondrop s8/ B2 styles) but have a slender and slightly extended conical tip than other silicone designs. Work just right for me. https://www.amazon.co.uk/SpinFit-CP155-Patented-Silicone-Replacement/dp/B078RF1S37/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2CPRA56REJ32X&keywords=spinfit+cp155&qid=1679242445&sprefix=spinfit+cp155,aps,128&sr=8-1

Moondrop Spinfit

Works better for those IEM shell types that want to block the entrance to your ear canal rather than go deep- perfect on my Thieaudio Oracle for me https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...icone-soft-earphone-ear-tips-for-iems-3-pairs

Some IEM I have not been able to get the right fit for:

Moondrop Kato and Starfield- no tips I have tried will get these to stay securely in place. I can barely keep them in place when sitting- zero chance when laying down or walking. I suspect the shell itself is just not right for my ears - too small to hold its own weight in the curve of my ear so always pulls out.
Jimbob54, thanks so much for this Thread.

IMO, after finding the IEM that we like most, Ear Tips are the most important accessories to fully appreciate and enjoy music in this kind of equipment (IEMs) and, the aspects of comfort, isolation and hearing sealing are the most relevant features to realize it

Other than the material and may be construction design, at the moment there is no way to objectively evaluate this type of accessories and we depend on the subjective experiences and honest opinions of other users.

I don't have any pleasant Ear Tip’s experiences since I have always used the generic ones that are included in the IEMs but none of them have really been to my liking.

After reading the reviews of the Truthear Blue and 7Hz Salnotes Zero & Crinacle Zero 2 IEMs here, I decided to order all of them and I really loved them.

So now I'm on another "nirvana" journey to get the "best" and most suitable "cheap" Ear Tip for them and the first on the list, ordered today, is the W1 (L) from Spinfit. which will arrive on Feb 9.

Later, I also want to try other brands and other designs, such as Memory Foam.

Meantime, I share this website whose content on this topic I found very useful and informative.

Tweaking Tips – A Simplified Guide To IEM Silicone Eartips UPDATED 2024-01-31​

Last edited:
Top Bottom