• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tips and advice regarding measuring microphone, miniDSP and working with PEQ. How long did it take to ..

DanielT

Major Contributor
In short, share your experiences. Feel free to give tips and advice. :)

How many hours has you spent learning how to set up miniDSP, measuring with a microphone, using for example REW, ... PEQ, setting up the house curve?Be honest now. How long did it take you to learn this? Do you think it's worth it?

Have you been "fixed" in connection with measurements so it takes a lot of time from listening to music?

I was going to start soon myself, but I am afraid that it will take many hours and learn plus I am afraid that it will be a hunt for the perfect curve that means that I will never be satisfied. Will keep on screwing and screwing and never listen to music.

You who have found your perfect house curve, can you not continue to measure or has it become a hobby (obsession) for you?

Before you started with settings, what did you learn about human hearing? It is rather pointless to set if you did not know what and why you set something. This one with Amir I thought was, is interesting:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A long career in (non audio) electronic engineering helped because all the concepts are familiar.

So, for me - a half day pre reading/watching youtube, and another half a day after my mic arrived to get to equalised audio for two listening positions from PC Audio. (Using a convolution plug-in on the output of Audio (Rogue Amoeba Soundsource) from my Mac.

Since then I've not touched it. I'll revisit when I have a way of piping my turntable through DSP.

Actually I should re-do it now, because I've mostly tamed turntable bass with some part port bungs in the speakers. I should redo the PC output EQ with those in place. Motivation is low though because everything still sounds great to me.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
A long career in (non audio) electronic engineering helped because all the concepts are familiar.

So, for me - a half day pre reading/watching youtube, and another half a day after my mic arrived to get to equalised audio for two listening positions from PC Audio. (Using a convolution plug-in on the output of Audio (Rogue Amoeba Soundsource) from my Mac.

Since then I've not touched it. I'll revisit when I have a way of piping my turntable through DSP.

Actually I should re-do it now, because I've mostly tamed turntable bass with some part port bungs in the speakers. I should redo the PC output EQ with those in place. Motivation is low though because everything still sounds great to me.
Thanks for the feedback. :)

Of course you have a "long career in (non audio) electronic engineering " it will be easier. It was a quick installation and run-in time. I was more afraid that one would tearing one's hair after several days of fruitless attempts to get everything started.:)

Interesting that you just mention bass. Asked a while ago about this:

Dayton Audio
DAYTON AUDIO DSP-LF, BAS-EQ

But most people then thought that if you still have to start tuning, you can just as do it over the entire register, 20-20kHz.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Feel free to suggest flexible simple methods and software. Preferably as much plug and play as possible. I am useless at data so I would like some stable, easy-to-use software that is easy to install and work with.:)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that device works with subwoofer only. I'm working with stereo full range speakers.

I used REW to measure the room at listening position, and generate PEQ filters. I output these as WAV files for use in the convolution filter running in Soundsource as mentioned above. I can then route all Mac Audio through the filters.

For the future, I'm considering MiniDSP 2x4HD for more or less manual PEQ setup from REW measurements, or perhaps the version with DirecLive built in (DDRC24) which will automate the measurement/filter setup. This has an analogue input which will allow me to EQ the turntable.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am afraid that it will take many hours and learn plus I am afraid that it will be a hunt for the perfect curve that means that I will never be satisfied. Will keep on screwing and screwing and never listen to music.
Try Dirac, then.
It's quite straightforward.
That's what I use.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the tips and suggestions.:)

Approximate cost for what you are proposing?
For Dirac, the PC license is 300€ (tax included).
But there are various devices that are sold with the license included, some limited to bass correction, some with full correction.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
How far can you go with PEQ? Regarding the bass frequencies what is the limit the amplifier and subwoofer can handle before they are driven into clipping start to distorting? I am aware that it depends on the type of listening room ( size and material in the walls ) and how much power the amplifier and speakers (SPL) have, but is it possible to say anything in general?

....and of course how loud you want to play , but it is subjective what you .... and the neighbors ..... like.:)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most filtering strategies involve bringing down the peaks rather than boosting the dips (EDIT: Or only small dip boosts) - to avoid exactly that problem. It is the peaks that give the objectionable bass boom I'm aiming to eliminate. Adjustment of speaker position can be used to minimise the dips in listening position.

Don't expect a perfectly flat room response - you won't get it.

See post 16 here, for my before and after at my desk listening position. In later posts you can see I had a little more difficulty at my relaxed position - and ended up adding a manual filter at around 49Hz.

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what is the limit the amplifier and subwoofer can handle before they are driven into clipping
As explained, general level is usually taken down to avoid digital or DAC clipping.
Of course, adding missing energy to a speaker in some frequency range may lead to more severe distortion. That will vary widely with each speaker: some will be able to handle it easily, some not.
Same for the power amplifier.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Of course, lower and not raise.:)

It will be for me to read more about the basics regarding measurements and settings. This seems very fun and exciting. Plus it's something that really gives good results regarding the sound experience. What I have read from those who started with what is mentioned in this thread.

Makes good sense, even necessary to read about acoustics, in general, that is. I think. Also fun and interesting.:)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Have you combined fixing with acoustic measures in your listening rooms plus measuring PEQ?

What I mean is, how far can you go with PEQ? If you have (which I do not have and am definitely not interested in) a modern decorated room. Rooms without carpets, few furniture and so on. See the picture. Take that room as an example. Such a listening room, with that floor, windows, few furniture, is it completely impossible to get good sound in such a room? That no matter how much PEQ is used that is?
This is probably more of a issue about room acoustics and music reproduction in general.

laminatgolv-berryalloc-original-natural-oak-2-stav_rsh.jpg

Edit:
You get sound, of course, if you load a hifi system in that room, but good sound? Without fixing with more furniture such as bookshelves, rugs
curtains acoustic measures (physical) and so on are you fu *** about good sound? That even if you place a state of the art hifi system in that room and even if you PEQ to death?

Last edited:
Top Bottom