• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tip Tips

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I wanted to open a new thread for general discussion and advice on IEM tips. I’ll start with my issue, but feel free to chip in with anything.

Okay, my previous/current (and only ‘serious’) IEMs are a pair of Dunu Titan 5s. Having tried all the tips provided with it, I found I must have unusually small ear canals, and use the small silicone tips.

I received my new Moondrop Arias the other day, again I’ve gone for the small silicone tips provided.

A quick listen, and the sound is great, but lacking in the lower end. So I pressed them into my ears a bit more, and bingo. Superb. Let go, the bass disappears.

Now the fun and games start. I looked at the small tips from both IEMs, and whilst a similar size, they’re a different shape. So I swapped them over, and problem solved. The Dunu tips are holding the Arias in place, and I don’t have to press with my fingers for full bass.

I took them out of my ears and…hold on, where are the tips? Still in my ears! The Dunu tips fit my ears better, but don’t grip the Arias enough. I had to use the point on the lid of my Bic biro to prise the tips out.

One fell in my shirt pocket. The other fell on the floor and rolled under a chest of drawers.

You can stop laughing now.

Okay, replacement tips. Over to you. I’m in the U.K. and buy from Amazon a lot, so links there are most useful, but I’m not completely limited to that.

Foam? Which makes are best? Cheers.

Last edited:
OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Here are the two tips. Dunu on the left, Moondrop in the right.

Whilst both are the same size, they’re a different shape, with the Dunu being a bit more ‘pointy’, with the Moondrop being ‘fatter’ in the middle.

DB99EAE4-536A-4225-A220-30FB72DC803C.jpeg
DB99EAE4-536A-4225-A220-30FB72DC803C.jpeg

RHO

Major Contributor
So the Dunu tips fit you better but the bore is too large for the Arias?
Maybe try some Xcessor tips? I got mine from Amazon. They have quite a range, so it think you will find some that will fit your ears and the Arias right.
Final Type-E tips are great also. But maybe harder to get. And much more expensive.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
It's pretty much impossible to recommend IEM tips for someone else, our ears are just too different. Even my own two ears aren't an exact match, I think my left ear canal is slightly larger than the right, or not exactly the same shape in any case, I found with several IEMs that the left would stay in place nicely, while the right would have a tendancy to fall out.

I have a pair of Moondrop Blessing 2. I have small ear canals and before I got them I was concerned by the mention in some reviews of the large "nozzle". However, it turns out that, with the small tips that were in the box, they fit better than any of the other IEMs I've tried and stay put really well, even when I go running.

Other than getting lucky with what's in the box, as I did, it's really a case of trial and error. If you look on Ebay, you can find lots sellers selling a variety of shapes and sizes and they're pretty cheap, so you can buy a selection and experiment without breaking the bank: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Replacement+Tips+Earphone+&_sacat=0&_sop=15

jannek

Strong recommendation for Dekoni Bulletz.
I had the Moondrop Dusk but sold them because of the much too big nozzle for my ears, no matter what tips (Spinfit, Comply 500). Changed to some IEMs with smaller nozzle and Dekoni Bulletz Mercury. Much better comfort.

Last edited:
OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Update.

I had a tip tip from elsewhere for these, Comply Tx-400 (small).

They appear to fit my ears well, and don’t come off the Arias and stay in my ears when pulled out.

More to follow.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have Comply T-200 only my Moondrop Starfields. I've also tried the INAIRS AIR1's which are a bit cheaper, but I find they don't work quite as well.

Top Bottom