• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tiny Room Acoustics

wgb113

Hey Everyone!

Looking to start a thread for those of us that find ourselves with tiny rooms and to discuss the approaches we've taken trying to get the best sound out of them. A lot of the research involving room acoustics seems tailored to "small" residential rooms when compared to commercial spaces and around getting the sound "right" over a broad area for multiple people.

I'm interested in rooms like I have where they're so small that multiple people aren't really even an option. I wouldn't say closet-sized but not far off. My room was designed to be a home office and it's what I consider tiny at 121" wide, 140" long on the left wall, 164" long on the right wall with 108" ceilings. It necessitates a near field speaker/listener setup and it's a challenge to get nice, even bass.

Shortly after converting it to my primary listening space I installed some DIY acoustic treatments. I built wooden frames to house Roxul Safe & Sound and made floor-to-soffit trap "super chunk" style traps in the front corners and soffit traps around the entire room. The front wall soffit traps are 20"D x 17"H and the soffit traps on the side and rear wall are 20"D x 10"H. The super-chunk corner traps are 18"x18"x25" with a depth of about 14".

These helped a lot with flutter echo as well as some broadband absorption but with a Schroeder frequency of 280Hz things still get quite lumpy. Speaker and Listening positions measuring to tweeter are: 33" from side walls, 38" from front walls, 30" from floor. Speaking of the floor, it's suspended hardwood with a thick wool area rug covering 50% of it. My chair is situated so that my ears are 54" from the rear wall, forming an equilateral triangle with the speakers.

The rear wall is completely covered with floor to soffit CD storage. The first side reflection point for the left speaker is a bookcase holding vinyl, for the right speaker a set of double doors to another room. The FRP for the ceiling is (currently) untreated.

Recently I've been experimenting with Dirac Live but I'm still unsure whether I can live with it long-term. On my to do list is to run some MMM measurements with REW to see what the filter/curves are actually resulting in from a response standpoint.

Speaker & Listener positioning is a big challenge as there's so much conflicting advice out there. From what manufacturers recommend to general recommendations that may or may not be taking into consideration just one listener in a tiny room.

Then there's the issue of bass. I wonder lately at just how far I'd have to go to get satisfactory bass and whether or not it's worth the effort and expense. It's not likely that I can fit much more from a treatment perspective and running multiple subs gets expensive as does placement options in such a small room.

So I'm curious as to what approaches others have taken with similarly tiny rooms in an effort to get good, if not great, sound.

Bill

Last edited:

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My experience is in a room 13' x 14' x 8' high. I'm the only listener in my room.

My approach is positioning, room treatment, then EQ/DSP.

Firstly I don't think it's so important to have an equilateral triangle - just a triangle where the two speakers are equidistant from you and facing you at equal angles. One approach I have success with is 'The Thirds' as described here:

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/monitoring.htm

It's also usual to have the tweeter ear height but your speaker designer may have other views.

For room treatment my view is you can't have enough bass traps. I have them in all wall-wall and wall-ceiling corners. I have additional thinner ones on the back and front walls. Finally I prevent side wall reflections by employing a panel on the immediate outside of each speaker - I find that easier then on the side walls. I don't use any ceiling absorbers - my speakers dispersion characteristics mean there are no ceiling reflections. With your taller ceiling and near field listening that may well be the case with your set up too.

This arrangement not only does a lot to tame the frequency response but also, perhaps more importantly, reduces decay times, giving a tighter sound. But it's not good enough.

I use a Behringer DEQ2496 to EQ, measuring with REW and adjusting the Behringer's PEQ filters manually. I do this only for the 0-200Hz range. In fact I haven't made any further adjustments higher up the frequency response as I like what I hear.

I don't think book cases, CD storage etc. do much for room acoustics. Nor in small rooms do diffusers - not the ones I've tried anyway.

tjkadar

Initially, I used the Cardas setup in my room but couldn't tame issues with bass frequencies. I had acoustic treatment (bass traps and absorption) in all 6 corners and absorption at the first reflection point. Moving my listening position to 38% of the length of the long wall from the front wall was my next step. I moved the speakers closer to the front wall and placed the absorption panels directly behind them. This helped with the SBIR. Finally, I placed two subwoofers along the left and right walls to help smooth out the lower frequencies. After whacking down any substantial peaks with PEQ, I finally ran Dirac.

Things are better now.

Listening Room.jpg
Sweep vs. MMM.jpg
Acoustic Panel Behind Speaker.jpg

OP
wgb113

wgb113

@Hipper I'll have to revisit Barry's S&LP guide as I haven't read it in years - thanks for the reminder!

@tjkadar are you running Dirac full-range or just up to 250Hz?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't consider these 'tiny' rooms.

A 'tiny' room would be , say, a common 2nd bedroom in a NYC apartment building. 10 x 10 or even smaller are not unusual.

OP
wgb113

wgb113

@krabapple raises a good point - what could be considered tiny in one region is small in another. I was simply using half of the average living room size in the US (320 sqft).

tjkadar

I'm running Dirac up to 1 KHz. I've experimented with full range, 800 Hz, 250 Hz, etc. In my situation, 1KHz seems to work the best (measurement and sound wise). These room may not be tiny, but they are small.

OP
wgb113

wgb113

@tjkadar interesting. My filters are all either limited to 500Hz and under or full-range. I still feel like the full range corrections mess with the soundstage on certain recordings.

What app are you using for the room diagram?

Top Bottom