• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tinnitus

threni

Major Contributor
This is one of the most insulting things anyone can say to a person with tinnitus or migraine or any chronic or undiagnosed disease or condition.

It's not as insulting as something I just thought of. Besides, it's fairly obvious they were joking.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
But it is just in your head! I had to say it…..:p
Moderator causing upset with jokes ..., ha ha I approve!

Iv mild tinnitus , its only a issue at night or waking in the night.

Its a brain fantasy by all acounts , why can't I wake up and enjoy a fantasy. Feeling taller or bigger or slimmer .. bloody ringing in ya ears , god obviously hates me .

threni

Major Contributor
Moderator causing upset with jokes ..., ha ha I approve!

Iv mild tinnitus , its only a issue at night or waking in the night.

Its a brain fantasy by all acounts , why can't I wake up and enjoy a fantasy. Feeling taller or bigger or slimmer .. bloody ringing in ya ears , god obviously hates me .

My totally in my head tinnitus is pretty mild too. I notice it more when I put on my headphones - I guess subconsciously I'm preparing to listen to some music - and when I'm actually listening to some quiet music, such as solo piano. I tried to discover which frequency it was so I could...well, not sure what I was going to do. Play that frequency before listening to music? But on the one attempt I made I couldn't match it; it's like the timbre is important. It's neither white-ish noise nor pure sine waves. I'll have to try again sometime. I thought it might be related to/triggered by caffeine so I gave omitting that from my diet a go. I love coffee so it was hard going. Fortunately there was no connection. Thank god - worst 20 minutes of my life.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
My totally in my head tinnitus is pretty mild too. I notice it more when I put on my headphones - I guess subconsciously I'm preparing to listen to some music - and when I'm actually listening to some quiet music, such as solo piano. I tried to discover which frequency it was so I could...well, not sure what I was going to do. Play that frequency before listening to music? But on the one attempt I made I couldn't match it; it's like the timbre is important. It's neither white-ish noise nor pure sine waves. I'll have to try again sometime. I thought it might be related to/triggered by caffeine so I gave omitting that from my diet a go. I love coffee so it was hard going. Fortunately there was no connection. Thank god - worst 20 minutes of my life.
Beer or post drunk makes it worse for me ,.soo, if you don't stop drinking all is good .

That works for me .

Jazz

It's not as insulting as something I just thought of. Besides, it's fairly obvious they were joking.
Just to clarify, I was referring in general to the importance, joking or not, of not putting a person down because of sickness. This phrase is often used by idiot clueless arrogant rude doctors too.

Reactions: JRS

Jazz

The damaged inner ear nerves are sending bad data to the brain and the brain cannot deal with it so, it makes this tinnitus for us to enjoy. This is, for the moment, what the researchers think.

threni

Major Contributor
Just to clarify, I was referring in general to the importance, joking or not, of not putting a person down because of sickness. This phrase is often used by idiot clueless arrogant rude doctors too.

Everyone's different, of course, but speaking personally it doesn't matter if someone jokes about an illness on an internet forum. Chin up, old chap. Laughter's the best medicine and all that!

And finally, welcome to the site!

Destination: Moon

If you are talking about the otoliths causing benign paroxysmal positional vertigo of the posterior or anterior canals of the ear, they are normal and determine our position in space. They can come loose and go up the wrong part of the inner ear. Your ENT can show you methods of moving your head to fix it. But the ENT would first diagnose benign paroxysmal positional vertigo and it makes for good TV show stuff but, is not necessarily what any one individual may have with an inner ear condition.

Actually, when it started, a Google search led me to "ear rocks" and from there I stumbled on an Epley Manoeuver video - that demonstrated how to figure out which ear and then do the positioning. Within 2 days I was much better. Never saw a doctor, but all my symptoms we're exactly as described

Destination: Moon

There are other earplugs used by musicians that are worth using during concerts for sure.

When I go to places I know will be extra loud, I bring the best fitting foam rollers I've found. The sound might be muffled but my long term hearing is more important

DtoA

Forum Donor
My tinnitus began March 2007 when my young son brought home a virus from preschool. I was deathly sick in bed for three days and when it was over I had loud tinnitus in both ears. It is always there and Hyperacusis soon followed. Following the expert recommendations to minimize the loudness can make you more miserable than the constant noise so choose parts of the advice to follow. Hyperacusis treatment is easy. Take over all activities involving washing or moving dishes

Jazz

Everyone's different, of course, but speaking personally it doesn't matter if someone jokes about an illness on an internet forum.
You know the term “woke”? It applies to disabled people too.
One day, you will wake up.

Reactions: JRS

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You know the term “woke”? It applies to disabled people too.
One day, you will wake up.
There’s a thousand ways that one can point out the importance of behaving ethically towards others but you had to choose the one that characterises the hyper partisan era more than any other :facepalm:

Jazz

There’s a thousand ways that one can point out the importance of behaving ethically towards others but you had to choose the one that characterises the hyper partisan era more than any other :facepalm:
So, it’s hyperpartisan to treat people different from you with respect and dignity? :facepalm:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, it’s hyperpartisan to treat people different from you with respect and dignity? :facepalm:
Not at all, but the way that you approached it carries a very significant political import that it is absolutely hyper partisan. I don’t propose to bang on about it as this is an audio forum, but for what’s it’s worth I’m a person with both tinnitus and keratoconus and I don’t need protecting from the others on this forum.

Jazz

Not at all, but the way that you approached it carries a very significant political import that it is absolutely hyper partisan. I don’t propose to bang on about it as this is an audio forum, but for what’s it’s worth I’m a person with both tinnitus and keratoconus and I don’t need protecting from the others on this forum.
Well, you mentioned it. Not me. I am not sure how respecting the dignity of others is “hyper partisan”.
I never wanted to protect anyone. Just wishing we can treat all humans as equals, regardless of their known or unknown condition.
I see you are addicted to fun and learning. Try it out, minus the political snark.
Now, back to our hearing health, audio, and avoiding deadly/debilitating viral particles, shall we old chap?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you mentioned it. Not me. I am not sure how respecting the dignity of others is “hyper partisan”.
I never wanted to protect anyone. Just wishing we can treat all humans as equals, regardless of their known or unknown condition.
I see you are addicted to fun and learning. Try it out, minus the political snark.
Now, back to our hearing health, audio, and avoiding deadly/debilitating viral particles, shall we old chap?
;)

Top Bottom