• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tinnitus? Impedance mismatch? SMSL SP200 + Beyer 1990 Pro

Womble25

i am a bit of a n00b. But i was reading about mismatching amps and headphones.

My current setup is:
PC source> USB Input DAC (SMSL M400) > balanced out > Balanced in SMSL SP200 > Beyerdynamic 1990 pros

Currently i am suffering from tinnitus in my right ear, i heard that potentially i could get this from mismatching the amps output impedance (which i have checked is "Output Impedance: Near 0ohm") and my headphones which are 250 ohm. This is due to spikes in certain frequencies (especially high) which are present in these headphones as they are for mixing and mastering.

Question, am i talking talking rubbish? Or have i got the gist of this. Since i got this amp i have found it to be so loud at times, i tend to turn it up to just squeeze a little more enjoyment out of it. I believe this is what these headphones lack, mainly because they are designed for work and not enjoyment. I do like the headphones overall but i am in the market for a new set of more musical and fun headphones. I listen to a lot of Electronic music as well as rock and such, but i am happy to keep both headphones.

I have been looking into getting equaliser APO for windows which i hear can reduce the certain frequencies by a margin to balance out the EQ on headphones which are a little bit too heavy on the highs.

Could anyone give me any way of figuring out what frequencies, if i am indeed suffering from a mismatch of gear.

Thanks a bunch.

setup.jpg

Bob-23

You don't have an impedance problem. It might be the (in)famous Beyer treble peak which is causing your tinnitus. Continue using the velour pads (instead of the pleather ones). Try the attached eq.

Attachments

• Beyerdynamic DT1990 (Velours Earpads) (10 Band Graphic EQ).pdf
    304.8 KB · Views: 269
Top Bottom