• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tinkering with old Yamaha NS-344 -- surprises and troubles (repairs)

eriksson

Forum Donor
Throwing away some stuff I noticed two speakers lying in the scrap-wood dumpster... I brought them home for testing and tinkering. Yamaha NS-344
Image shamelessly stolen from the web:

ns344.jpg

It seems these were made around 1980. Short listening test revealed loss of contact in the controls for tweeter and mid in both of them. Thankfully the resistors are semi-open so giving them a good bath with cleaner solved this problem. However the bass woofer in one of them is not working...

Listening to the one that's fully functional was quite surprising for me. Just for fun I used it as a pair against my Focal Aria 926 and it held it's ground amazingly well. Nice treble and mids, plenty of details and generally very pleasant sound. A bit light in the bass department but still nice and tight. Anyone familiar with this model?

Wondering what I should do regarding the damaged bass woofer. It seems to be touching or has "voice coil rub" if I got that correctly from web search. Feeding it straight from the amp I only hear higher notes - no bass to speak of. It got wet during it's stay in the dumpster, and has some "impact" damage.

I might attempt dis-assembly - it's no good as it is anyways.
Ideas?
IMG_20220223_234450.jpg
IMG_20220223_234514.jpg

SpaceMonkey

Lots of videos on youtube of yamaha ns1000 woofer disassembly. The touching issue is there for many of them as well. Not very complicated just requires strength and patience. Then you might end up building some sort of rig to put it back (not complicated):

Top Bottom