• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Timing test results - a poll

The lowest timing you can reliably pass

• 100ms

• 50ms

• 20ms

• 10ms

• 5ms

• 2ms

• 1ms

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
The simple 2 ways timing online blind test is here:

I tried a while back using smartphone and could do 10/10 for 10ms. Lower was tougher for me. The site does not show the statistics of all those who tried. So I am curious how ASR members would do.

My screenshot is at the bottom of the post here:

Please try if have time. Please post screenshot if possible. Thanks!

Update:
When using laptop to Gustard combo to headphones to test today, I can pass down to 10ms using Chrome browser. Only got 14/20 for 5ms.

When using smartphone (Samsung Note 9) with headphones, able to go all the way to 1ms.

Using the worse results of the two methods, I am voting 10ms in the poll.

Update 2:
Since Amir did very well using cheap USB conference headset, I tried with Plantronics USB conference headset via Window 10 desktop via Chrome,, and able to do 10/10 for 5ms.
I am changing my vote to 5ms. Although I could easily pass 1ms via Android phone, I will use the worse of Android and Windows results for now.

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Just tried using Laptop via Firefox to Gustard dac + Gustard amp + Hifiman HE400se setup (first time trying this combo) and I could only do about 70% correct for 10 ms.

Using my Samsung Note 9 with Hifiman, I could easily get 10/10 for 10 ms..... Interesting.....I wonder why....

Last edited:

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
10/10 at 10ms and 9/10 at 5ms, but not statistically significant at 2ms.

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Edit: voted 5ms

5ms minimum on galaxy smart phone to hear that the 5ms clip took longer to play, but couldn't hear distinct double hits... below that was timber changing as kongwee said. But just for fun:

Screenshot_20220206-213823_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220206-213823_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Thanks all for testing! Strange that I can sense double clicks all the way to 1ms using smartphone.

Definitely using Samsung Note 9 with my Hifiman is much easier than using my Gustard dac and amp combo via laptop. I really wonder why. Android is better than Windows in resolving small differences?

Here are my results using Samsung Note 9 from 5ms to 1ms:
5ms
Screenshot_20220206-192215_Samsung Internet.jpg

2ms
Screenshot_20220206-192332_Samsung Internet.jpg

1ms
Screenshot_20220206-192520_Samsung Internet.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still trying to determine if you're "special"? Or a human based scientific instrument?

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Still trying to determine if you're "special"? Or a human based scientific instrument?
I really wonder why I could do so much better with smartphone....

Maybe if you try with smartphone, you will be "special" too.

: P

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
1644207195835.jpeg
5mS.JPG
10mS.JPG
20mS.JPG
50mS.JPG

At 2mS and 1mS, the results are no better than guessing.

Attachments

• 2mS.JPG
    2mS.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 61
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Cool! Thanks for trying! May I know your chain?

For me, using smartphone was easy, but more difficult using laptop.

I just switched from using Firefox to Chrome in my laptop and tried the test using my Gustard DAC and amp again. This time for 10ms I could get 10/10. For 5 ms, so far I could only get 70%. I think I will stop for now. : )

10ms:

10ms_10_10_chrome.PNG

5 ms:
5ms_14_20_chrome.PNG

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really wonder why I could do so much better with smartphone....

Maybe if you try with smartphone, you will be "special" too.

: P
I don't waste my time trying to determine minute differences among hardware/software like you do....just not worth it.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I don't waste my time trying to determine minute differences among hardware/software like you do....just not worth it.
It is not minute to me.....Thus curious why.

Also, by being curious, I compares KTB vs X16 as DAC in my laptop chain. I found out that KTB is much sharper in the hi-hat tone. X16 is much softer. And yes, it was voltage matched comparison. Very interesting find indeed.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is not minute to me.....Thus curious why.

Also, by being curious, I compares KTB vs X16 as DAC in my laptop chain. I found out that KTB is much sharper in the hi-hat tone. X16 is much softer. And yes, it was voltage matched comparison. Very interesting find indeed.
LOL I suppose I get it but I really don't. Just a waste of time to listen to gear for minute and inconsequential differences....YMMV

ps but maybe someday I can come up to your place in Portland (coupla hours north) and see what you're talking about in person!

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
LOL I suppose I get it but I really don't. Just a waste of time to listen to gear for minute and inconsequential differences....YMMV

ps but maybe someday I can come up to your place in Portland (coupla hours north) and see what you're talking about in person!
I think it is about ability to sense timing issue between subwoofers, and between subwoofer and speakers. Maybe those who can sense small timing issues can sense sub and speakers phase problem more than others and thus can fix the issue easier than others when something is not sounding right.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it is about ability to sense timing issue between subwoofers, and between subwoofer and speakers. Maybe those who can sense small timing issues can sense sub and speakers phase problem more than others and thus can fix the issue easier than others when something is not sounding right.
But what's your sub setup? I think multiple subs solve many issues if well implemented (and gear capable of adjusting delays of course helps)

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
But what's your sub setup? I think multiple subs solve many issues if well implemented (and gear capable of adjusting delays of course helps)
There is no issue with my multichannel setups as those timing issues are handle by AV preamp/AV receiver's room eq software.

For my 2.2 setup, there is no such software. My subs can do room eq, but still need to match phase with my speakers. REW helps, but then sometimes just too lazy to do that each time I adjust something. So, I like to adjust by ears and body feels. Having ability to sense 10ms timing should help.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no issue with my multichannel setups as those timing issues are handle by AV preamp/AV receiver's room eq software.

For my 2.2 setup, there is no such software. My subs can do room eq, but still need to match phase with my speakers. REW helps, but then sometimes just too lazy to do that each time I adjust something. So, I like to adjust by ears and body feels. Having ability to sense 10ms timing should help.
Okay I need a demo of this prowess....I'll bring whatever food/drink you like (well, within limits, I need to share :) )

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I got down to 2 msec:

View attachment 184764

Didn't try 1 msec.

Edit: above is with my windows laptop and crappy conferencing headset.
Thanks for testing! Wow, so just directly from laptop jack out?

Interesting that when doing Klippel distortion test with music, I did the best using the cheapest <$50 headphones....

Top Bottom