• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time to sell my long telephoto lenses

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
telephoto.png

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
lol

Seriously. I find the distortion brought by relatively short focal lenses on smartphones, etc unacceptable. This has become always a cliche and I find it make people uglier ... across the board yet we are in a narcissistic spiral of endless selfies.. Why oh why don't the camera makers propose a distortion reducing apps or software? How impossible would that be? Medium-telephoto provide the best portraits ... Can't these be emulated via software? for selfies purposes?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
the angle of view

Saw this yesterday, concerning an observation of twin black holes in a galaxy 750m light years distant:

Astronomers Verify Existence Of Orbiting Supermassive Black Holes

"Putting the size of the orbit and its observation from Earth in perspective, Roger W. Romani,
professor of physics at Stanford University and member of the research team, said in the
statement: “If you imagine a snail on the recently-discovered Earth-like planet orbiting
Proxima Centauri — 4.243 light-years away — moving at 1 cm a second, that’s the angular
motion we’re resolving here.”

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The ugliness of portraits using WA lenses is a geometry problem, and since the parts of a head which are visible from further away are not visible from the closer vantage point needed by a WA lens the data isn't there to use in any correction.
I rarely use a lens wider than 35mm on a camera and almost all phones are wider than this so they are emergency use only for me.
The main reason I keep a proper camera is because I like to use longer lenses - the view of a 90mm lens looks most natural to me.
I also like wildlife photography. I recently bought an Olympus 300mm f4 lens to use instead of the Nikon 600mm f4 which I am no longer prepared to carry. I have pretty well gone entirely mirrorless already and am contemplating selling everything except 4/3, but I have a lot of old lenses I am attached to still...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was never into wide angle in a big way until I purchased the Canon 11-24. This thing is unbelievable. It has geometric correction and superb fidelity edge to edge so produces great images. It is wonderful to be able to go back and back until your feet show up in the picture. :) It is definitely a "game changer" in my photography. I have been too lazy to upload my images taken with it but when I do, I will post some.

But yes, for many other applications it is the wrong choice.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Amir, can you post a link to this lens?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was never into wide angle in a big way until I purchased the Canon 11-24. This thing is unbelievable. It has geometric correction and superb fidelity edge to edge so produces great images. It is wonderful to be able to go back and back until your feet show up in the picture. :) It is definitely a "game changer" in my photography. I have been too lazy to upload my images taken with it but when I do, I will post some.

But yes, for many other applications it is the wrong choice.
I have a Voigtlander 12mm in Leica mount. It gets the odd outing for weird landscapes.
I don't use zooms often, too big, heavy and slow, though optically they are pretty good nowadays.
I have to admit I was very, very tempted to buy that 11-24 but since my 14-24 Nikon has been in a drawer unused for years I resisted the temptation!

Top Bottom