• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time to choose speakers after some narrowing down...

Roy_L

Following the discussion below:

I've decided it's finally time to make a choice, and narrowed it down to 3 options. As you can see it the picture below, my living room is rather small, so I think a pair of floorstanders won't be ideal. Also, the current Polk R200 provide respectable bass and attack. I would appreciate some more, but not much. I don't think the room can handle much more (maybe in the nest apartment...).

So...

Option 1: BMR monitors. The problem- shipping + taxes may pump the price to unreasonable levels (I've contacted Salk sound, don't know the quote yet, but not optimistic). If the price stays reasonable, it's a serious contender. The plus for me, on top of great measurements, is the extra bass and attack compared to regular 2 way 6.5 inch Bookshelf speakers.

Option 2: The budget option, Revel M106. According to every indication, I just can't go wrong with them. Caveat- may not provide the extra bass and attack I want compared to the Polks. However, they're probably generally better. Also, given the price (I can even get a discount, a friend of mine is a dealer)- it's very tempting.

Option 3: The expensive option, Dynaudio Contour 20i. I can get a good price from my dealer friend, but they are still very expensive. I have very good experience with Dynaudio (owned the old contour 3.4 and loved it). However, I couldn't find any measurements of the 20i, only of the 20 in Stereophile (which were good but not great, if I understood correctly). Possible advantages- the tweeters are great; Also, it's a bigger speaker (larger volume) with a bigger woofer (7.1 inch). From experience, Dynaudio's woofers can handle a lot of power and produce great SPL without ever bottoming. So probably this one can punch lower and harder, emphasis on "probably" because I have no experience with Revel. Problem- price, that needs to be justified (within the law of diminishing return).

I'd appreciate any concrete thoughts.

20220516_201950.jpg

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Option 1: BMR monitors. The problem- not sure at all they can be obtained. I can't even get a shipping quote from Salk sound. So big question mark here if its even possible. If so, and the shipping + taxes do not pump the price to unreasonable levels, it's a serious contender. The plus for me, on top of great measurements, is the extra bass and attack compared to regular 2 way 6.5 inch Bookshelf speakers.
I love my BMRs.
I've heard Jim is running a very long wait. Why not order directly from Dennis/Philharmonic? Unless you have your heart set on something unique like the front slot port or specialty veneer. Even then, what you can get from Dennis is looking really nice!

OP
R

Roy_L

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that option, I thought Salk were the only dealers, I'll check (although Fedex prices are Fedex prices either way...)

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The brand new Ascend Sierra LX looks nice and has great measurements, if you haven't considered them. But either #1 or #2 above seem like very solid options.

LightninBoy

Hmm. I don't think I can rule any one of those choices out. The outlier here is the Dynaudio as you don't have a good set of measurements for that model and when Dynaudio's are measured they typically fall a bit short of our neutral standard. That said, I've never heard a set of Dynaudios that I didn't like and you also have a good history with them.

Soo ... maybe just pick the one that looks the best to you?

OP
R

Roy_L

The brand new Ascend Sierra LX looks nice and has great measurements, if you haven't considered them. But either #1 or #2 above seem like very solid options.
Another option!? Please, don't! :p

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that option, I thought Salk were the only dealers, I'll check (although Fedex prices are Fedex prices either way...)
Salk will do custom builds, and you can also get the older ScanSpeak design from him, as well as the newer SB Acoustic Woofer. He does not do curved cabinets, though, which is an option from Dennis.

Philharmonic is in the middle of finishing their current batch. I saw mention over on AVS that they may have some cancellations, thus would have Speakers available NOW.
I have not seen their plan for the next shipment so cannot speak to the timing for that, though it seems like it would be about 2-3 months based on the previous pattern.

:)

OP
R

Roy_L

Hmm. I don't think I can rule any one of those choices out. The outlier here is the Dynaudio as you don't have a good set of measurements for that model and when Dynaudio's are measured they typically fall a bit short of our neutral standard. That said, I've never heard a set of Dynaudios that I didn't like and you also have a good history with them.
Actually, and I know this sounds like blasphemy, but I did very much enjoy speakers before with less than stellar measurements. The measurements are a good indication, but it's not a 100% guarantee. Which reminds me- I've always preferred soft dome tweeters over metal domes. Is this reflected somehow in the measurements?

Soo ... maybe just pick the one that looks the best to you?
With an unlimited supply of money- sure! I'll take all of them for comparison ;)

Digby

Major Contributor
I'd appreciate any concrete thoughts.
Seeing as you have not mentioned a subwoofer, IMO whatever has the bass extension and power handling to get up to decent volume levels. I would miss both those things if not present and it is hard to crank music and find it enjoyable, if you are missing the low frequencies. Your space is not tiny either, so it will stretch the limits of smaller drivers.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The following is an eyeball guesstimation (per photo):
That room appears to be cursed in the WxL dimensions.:eek:
I wonder how much of the in-room response differ if the (current/future) speakers are positioned in the 'long dimension'... maybe even on the opposite side of the window (where the camera was positioned).
The listening position either in front of window (or opposite) may even work out better but only you can determine.
It may even help to consider the proper/alternative positioning of your PC; so that you can enjoy the music while you are in your PC chair.
-------------------------------------------
EDIT: Are those sound diffusers behind your couch?

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Your living room is lovely.

As your speakers are practically touching the wall behind them, perhaps front ported speakers would suit you better.

Have you looked at the ELAC DBR62?

Best of luck.

gsp

Steve Rogers

I wonder how much of the in-room response differ if the (current/future) speakers are positioned in the 'long dimension'... maybe even on the opposite side of the window (where the camera was positioned).
The listening position either in front of window (or opposite) may even work out better but only you can determine.
It may even help to consider the proper/alternative positioning of your PC; so that you can enjoy the music while you are in your PC chair.
The cat seems ok with the set up

OP
R

Roy_L

Placing the speakers in open space, between the living room and the kitchen (where the camera is) was attempted. It sounds wonderful- spacious and clean, but this means there is no back wall and the bass will suffer. In any case, this isn't practical because the speakers are also intended for movies (there is a projector, that's why the wall between the speakers is blank white).
No, thick sound absorbers

5th element

There's no reason why floor standers wouldn't work in that space either.

The important thing is if they've been designed more for close rear wall placement or not. This has nothing to do with the size of the speaker and everything to do with the design.

For what it's worth lots of active speakers, from the likes of Genelec and Neumann etc, have tunable options for placement.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Go with Option 1 or 2 and rather get a good sub for extension if needed, and definitely to minimize the room modes.

airgas1998

Dennis had a fair amount of cancelled bmr's in std black gloss with the black woofer. possibly even some white woofs he said may be available as well..

DMill

I love my BMRs.
I've heard Jim is running a very long wait. Why not order directly from Dennis/Philharmonic? Unless you have your heart set on something unique like the front slot port or specialty veneer. Even then, what you can get from Dennis is looking really nice!
I would take some custom BMRs and never worry about speakers again. For me music. For my girl something really beautiful in our living space. There are other options but that is a damn good one.

Top Bottom