• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time to choose speakers after some narrowing down...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For my girl something really beautiful in our living space.
Like an original Andy Warhol, instead of an ooglie 60" TV?:facepalm:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I would take some custom BMRs and never worry about speakers again. For me music. For my girl something really beautiful in our living space. There are other options but that is a damn good one.
Definitely nothing against Jim or the desire for a sexy veneer job. ;) He did my Phil 3s in 2018-19.

The Cabinets Dennis and Ken are getting for their Speakers are also very beautiful and not just limited to Piano Black. A valid option to save a grand and about 9 mos of wait list. ;)

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Like an original Andy Warhol, instead of an ooglie 60" TV?:facepalm:
buy both. Get a Warhol of a pic of a sexy soup can on your ooglie 60in tv and still look at your pretty speakers. :)

Reactions: Zvu

DMill

in all seriousness tho. The Polks you have are good speakers. I’ve heard them. The BMRs I’ve never heard. They look from specs like a really nice speakers and the finish on them is astounding imo. And yeah, that matters to me. I’d love to buy them. But think owners like @ryanosaur can give you better thoughts on how they perform.

itz_all_about_the_music

Do others at ASR occasionally question participant's motives when branddropping, namedropping, subtle-to-blatant marketing support seems to be the very lifeblood od many posts here? We all, me included, have allengiances, biases, to the breakthrough speaker in our audio journey, the DIY or kit build we did, maybe even the crystal radio we had in our youth (if you're old enough to know). All I know is I'll be dreaming "Dennis" or "Dennis", or maybe even "Dennis" tonight after reading all 2+ pages of this forum. (Maybe tomorrow, if I can get a good night's sleep tonight, I'll re-revisit the KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced thread where KEF elitism seems to be in lifeblood there.)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do others at ASR occasionally question participant's motives when branddropping, namedropping, subtle-to-blatant marketing support seems to be the very lifeblood od many posts here? We all, me included, have allengiances, biases, to the breakthrough speaker in our audio journey, the DIY or kit build we did, maybe even the crystal radio we had in our youth (if you're old enough to know). All I know is I'll be dreaming "Dennis" or "Dennis", or maybe even "Dennis" tonight after reading all 2+ pages of this forum. (Maybe tomorrow, if I can get a good night's sleep tonight, I'll re-revisit the KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced thread where KEF elitism seems to be in lifeblood there.)
If there is a strong allegiance it maybe driven by experience with some of the members here @ ASR. I have my allegiances after 24 years in audio electronics sales and service. It's not being biased.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
I think a sub and DSP room control would offer the most musical delight. At least that's been my experience swapping around bookshelf speakers that have measured from good to excellent on ASR.

OP
R

Roy_L

Thanks all. A clarification- It's going to remain a 2.0 system, I'm not going to add a sub or use DSP. I know it's a good solution, but not for me for the time being. Also, I'll be sticking with passive speakers, that PassLab on the floor is way too heavy to be going anywhere ;)

Last edited:
OP
R

Roy_L

And 2 more pics of my living room in daylight:

20220517_080906.jpg

20220517_081224.jpg

As you can see in the pics (I hope), I really think there is no need for big floorstanders. I'm not saying it can't be done, what I'm saying is that I'm not sure that in this room there's any benefit from the added SPL multiple drivers can provide. A pair of 2way (2 driver) floorstanders was totally an option, but I just couldn't find anything I really wanted.

(BTW, an absorber behind the right speaker didn't seem to do much, that's why there is none)

(p.s.- for those of you with sharp eyes, don't worry about the poster with the cat and the Swastika in the back. It's a poster I found thrown in the street in Sweden, about a demonstration against neo-nazis. I loved it so much I had it framed and placed on the wall. Yes, I did talk about it with my wife. And with my therapist. Didn't help. :p)

Last edited:

sifi36

Rather than casting aspersions about people’s motivations, perhaps it is worth considering the alternatives. Most of us were drawn here as we believe that sound reproduction devices can be objectively judged. On that basis, most of us are looking for the same things:

- A flat on-axis frequency response from 20Hz-20kHz
- Smooth and even directivity
- Low distortion
- Enough SPL capability to suit each individual’s requirements

The objective reviews carried out here and elsewhere have shown that the majority of manufacturers are incapable of consistently delivering on these criteria.

As a result, brands like Kef, Genelec, Neumann, Buchardt, Kii and Dutch and Dutch to name a few, have a reputation for bucking those trends and delivering what most here are looking for and are therefore trusted to do so with new, yet to be reviewed, products. What about that do you find objectionable?

Add the fact that most of us don’t have dedicated listening spaces, so a smaller footprint with fewer boxes (thus higher spousal acceptance) is desirable. Perhaps that’s the reason that people are excited about the LS60. Or you know, maybe we’re all paid shills….

Last edited:

itz_all_about_the_music

Rather than casting aspersions about people’s motivations, perhaps it is worth considering the alternatives. Most of us were drawn here as we believe that sound reproduction devices can be objectively judged. On that basis, most of us are looking for the same things:

- A flat on-axis frequency response from 20Hz-20kHz
- Smooth and even directivity
- Low distortion
- Enough SPL capability to suit each individual’s requirements

The objective reviews carried out here and elsewhere have shown that the majority of manufacturers are incapable of consistently delivering on these criteria.

As a result, brands like Kef, Genelec, Neumann, Buchardt, Kii and Dutch and Dutch to name a few, have a reputation for bucking those trends and delivering what most here are looking for and are therefore trusted to do so with new, yet to be reviewed, products. What about that do you find objectionable?

Add the fact that most of us don’t have dedicated listening spaces, so a smaller footprint with fewer boxes (thus higher spousal acceptance) is desirable. Perhaps that’s the reason that people are excited about the LS60. Or you know, maybe we’re all paid shills….
You make very good points. I have zero "objections".

But I also will not be posting suggestions of who (i.e., Tom, Dick, Harry, maybe "Dennis"...) has items of interest in stock. ASR is refreshing in that we're not inundated with advertising, marketing, mass merchandising tactics here. I hope it remains that way. Further in that vein, if I wanted advertising riddled throughout an audio information publication, which I don't, I'll grab any copy of Stereophile/Absolute Sound/etc.

Cote Dazur

Also, the current Polk R200 provide respectable bass and attack.
I'd appreciate any concrete thoughts.
Thank you for sharing the pictures, looks to me like you optimized your space very well. Within the limitations of your room and environment what are you really trying to achieve by wanting to upgrade your R200. They seem to me well adapted to your situation.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
You make very good points. I have zero "objections".

But I also will not be posting suggestions of who (i.e., Tom, Dick, Harry, maybe "Dennis"...) has items of interest in stock. ASR is refreshing in that we're not inundated with advertising, marketing, mass merchandising tactics here. I hope it remains that way. Further in that vein, if I wanted advertising riddled throughout an audio information publication, which I don't, I'll grab any copy of Stereophile/Absolute Sound/etc.
All this from the same guy who went through complaining about non-music threads like the coffee, beer, food, etc… threads?
You need to get over yourself, please.
For the record, and to be absolutely clear, I didn’t post up here gushing about how amazing the BMRs are and how OP’s life would change.
I supported one of his options and clarified that if he is interested he doesn’t have to go through a different agent to get them.

If this is unsatisfactory to you, please… Report me. Last I recall, you were the one warned against telling people what was appropriate to post on the forum. And since you aren’t a Mod, what role is it you are attempting to fill by dictating how people contribute to a direct question to aid a forum member in his next upgrade quest?

One last tidbit, too: some companies are small and rely on word of mouth to help get the message out. By your own words, you would shut down conversation that helps some of these companies compete against much larger companies with distribution and marketing budgets. You would actually make it much more difficult for companies like Philharmonic, Ascend, or the late Selah Audio (among others) to get the word out.
Some of these folk participate here and in other forums as well, and thus far, their contribution to these forums is much more meaningful than what I’ve seen from you.

Darvis

And 2 more pics of my living room in daylight:

View attachment 207122

View attachment 207121

As you can see in the pics (I hope), I really think there is no need for big floorstanders. I'm not saying it can't be done, what I'm saying is that I'm not sure that in this room there's any benefit from the added SPL multiple drivers can provide. A pair of 2way (2 driver) floorstanders was totally an option, but I just couldn't find anything I really wanted.

(BTW, an absorber behind the right speaker didn't seem to do much, that's why there is none)

(p.s.- for those of you with sharp eyes, don't worry about the poster with the cat and the Swastika in the back. It's a poster I found thrown in the street in Sweden, about a demonstration against neo-nazis. I loved it so much I had it framed and placed on the wall. Yes, I did talk about it with my wife. And with my therapist. Didn't help. :p)
I won't help you to choose, I just wanted to say that you made the best of that room, really stylish!

OP
R

Roy_L

Thank you for sharing the pictures, looks to me like you optimized your space very well. Within the limitations of your room and environment what are you really trying to achieve by wanting to upgrade your R200. They seem to me well adapted to your situation.
Well, this would require to delve more into psychology, won't it? So, I've been changing speakers on and off for about 20 years, why stop now? ;)

Anyway, the Polks are very good, but I did have better ones before (although not in this room). I don't expect any magic, just a little more- clarity, bass and attack.

sifi36

@Roy_L, apologies for derailing your thread, I can’t really add anything to the discussion of your quest for new speakers. That rug is lovely though.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Roy_L, What I hear you saying is that you are doing that "muhamed/mountain" thingy, one way or another.
There is an alternative at hand and at the current time.
Have you considered to find a more appropriate abode, especially if music is a big priority for you both?
Why spend money on hardware that you are trying to fit in your current place?
>Move<

Twitch54

Can you rearrange your room ? Having the speakers in front of the window and firing lengthwise ? I know you have absorption behind your sofa but up against a wall is never good....

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Your living room is lovely.

As your speakers are practically touching the wall behind them, perhaps front ported speakers would suit you better.

Have you looked at the ELAC DBR62?

Best of luck.

gsp

I'm no expert. I agree your digs are lovely. I agree on the front port recommendation. But, before you try to position your new speakers along the short wall consider if you can get 2.5' (75 cm) to 3' (91 cm) clearance on each side of the speakers from the side walls. In my small room I sacrifced distance between speakers to get better side clearance.

OP
R

Roy_L

Can you rearrange your room ? Having the speakers in front of the window and firing lengthwise ? I know you have absorption behind your sofa but up against a wall is never good....
Like I wrote earlier, they are also used for movies (there's a projector). BTW, in this current location they sound really great, can't complain.

Top Bottom