• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time for new equipment?

OP
S

sonicj

Do the socks match?
Alas, they did not match. I just always thought it was the washing machines that ate the socks.

I suspected that based on all the comments. I purchased the Wharfedale Diamond 220 (There was only one place I could find them) and the Aiyima A07 to start with. I wanted to try each of these out, since they both have good reviews. Hopefully enough of an upgrade to satisfy, but if not, they are cheap enough. I also wanted to try bluetooth using ldac and thought I would give this a try as well. Couldn't find anything on it on this forum, but cheap enough to try.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TW6Y3FB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Alas, they did not match. I just always thought it was the washing machines that ate the socks.
I am rolling on the floor here... and my a$$... it's fallen right off. Gonna pack it in ice, and head up to the hospital and see if they can sew it back on!

;):cool:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Why don't you go get your hearing checked and buy equipment which could help with some of deficits if any determined by the check (hedaphones with lo distortion in the deficit areas that can take a rather large bust there with acceptable distortion for example). I mean this isn't adresed to you personally and sorry if it sounds harsh that's really not my intention. I mean people all the time go and get eyesight checked before buying new glasses or lens. My intention is to try to help to those who do need something like that and I am pretty sure I will join the croud sooner than I want.
Regarding BT see if this fits your needs.

OP
S

sonicj

Update:

I purchased an Aiyima A07. It arrived first and I swapped it out with the Sherwood. I really like this little amp. I will keep it.

I also purchased this Bluetooth receiver. I have it connected to an Amazon tablet to Spotify and Navidrome for my collection. The amazon tablet I have, which is the HD10 (2019) model, only puts out 44.1 k LDAC to the receiver. I have my phone which will do 96k LDAC to the BT reciever, but I cannot really tell the difference so I will most likely continue to use the tablet for ease of use. I will keep it as well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TW6Y3FB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Lastly, I purchased the Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers. I just got them so I need to spend some more time listening, but I honestly think based off my first listen, I will be sending them back and just keep the Cerwin Vega VS 100 Frankenstein's that I have. I was a little surprised in the Wharfedales; maybe I should say my expectations may have been off. They do not seem as full as the CV's. I have a switch that I am switching between the speaker sets with, mid song, and it may be the lack of base in them, but they feel disappointing in comparison to the CV's. I know they are just bookshelf speakers, but I thought I might hear a little more clarity or something that made them stand apart from what I already had, but I hear about the same thing, just less "full" feeling. Fate to be determined.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool. RE: the speakers, you are likely hearing the lack of low frequency response (-3db at 56hz) and the lower sensitivity of the Wharfedales. You just won't get the low end from a 5" speaker. I'd really recommend a subwoofer if you go with a set of bookshelves.

You could add something like this to your setup:

Then get one of these:

:)

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just so you don’t miss the option, I am very very happy with an inexpensive DAC (topping e30) running from the optical out of a smart tv into an old power amp. Total cost about $350 CAD not incl tv.

Willem

Major Contributor
They do not seem as full as the CV's.
Of course they are not, with small woofers. Also, within their size constraints, they are designed for best quality bass rather than largest amount of it. In terms of bass quality, however, they will be miles ahead of your old speakers. If you want more bass, there really are only two ways to go about this. One would be to add a subwoofer. The other would be to return the Wharfedales and buy e.g. a pair of Elac DBR62s. Both options will cost you more, but that is life.

Waxx

Major Contributor
3th option can be to make speakers like the CV's yourself (as they are out of fashion and not sold anymore or way to expensive). There are many big box designs availeble that give strong and deep bass in a standmount of floorstander format, and many can be build for not so much money and are well tested and documented in the diy world so easy to replicate. Going from real big speakers like the Calpamos, the Econowave and the Asathor to more modern designs like Paul Camody's Tarkus. This will off course also cost a lot more than the Warfdales and give more bass than the Elac's also. But these days, and in past also, good bass is expensive, even diy.

Or you could repair the CV's like it should with a woofer that can fit the box and the other drivers, but that requires some measurment and soldering equipment and a lot of skills and knowledge, it's easier to build a predesigned and tested kit or design.

Top Bottom