• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time for an upgrade! Best Studio Monitors under $4000?

bbizzle

Hey all! First time posting here. So glad to find this forum as I'm a believer in measurements to help dispel all the marketing we are saturated with!

I run a mixing and mastering studio and I'm looking to upgrade my monitors that served me well the last 10 years (Dynaudio BM5A).

I'm in a smaller room ~11x13' and it is well treated. I have an SVS SB2000 sub that I'm going to integrate with my monitors using a minidsp nanodigi and will be using the plugin to help tune the room. I primarily work in rock/metal and also do quite a bit of electronic music/hip hop.

I've heard a lot of buzz about Amphion but from the research I've seen here it doesn't seem to be very flat at all! I have been getting a lot more mastering work so I think a flatter response would probably be better. I don't need top of the line by any means, and if there are some gems around the $2000/pair I would be elated.

Some monitors I'm looking at currently are: Amphion One18, Genelec 8350 and 8331, Neumann 310s, Dynaudio Lyd48, and barefoot footprint01 or 02s.

I'm a bang for the buck kinda guy, so if there are some others any of you would recommend, please let me know!

Thanks so much in advance and can't wait to hear and interact with all of you. Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
B

bbizzle

Welcome!

Take a look at the JBL 708P's.
Pretty impressive! Seems like the 308s are also highly reviewed! At low monitoring volumes (<85 dbC) would the 308s hold their own against the 708P?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty impressive! Seems like the 308s are also highly reviewed! At low monitoring volumes (<85 dbC) would the 308s hold their own against the 708P?

Let me put it this way: the 700-series woofers are so advanced that the 5" LSR705 has comparable SPL and distortion to the LSR308. @jhaider was the first to point it out over here IIRC.

My only concern is some issues related to the port design that are undesirable but quite minor.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all! First time posting here. So glad to find this forum as I'm a believer in measurements to help dispel all the marketing we are saturated with!

I run a mixing and mastering studio and I'm looking to upgrade my monitors that served me well the last 10 years (Dynaudio BM5A).

I'm in a smaller room ~11x13' and it is well treated. I have an SVS SB2000 sub that I'm going to integrate with my monitors using a minidsp nanodigi and will be using the plugin to help tune the room. I primarily work in rock/metal and also do quite a bit of electronic music/hip hop.

I've heard a lot of buzz about Amphion but from the research I've seen here it doesn't seem to be very flat at all! I have been getting a lot more mastering work so I think a flatter response would probably be better. I don't need top of the line by any means, and if there are some gems around the $2000/pair I would be elated.

Some monitors I'm looking at currently are: Amphion One18, Genelec 8350 and 8331, Neumann 310s, Dynaudio Lyd48, and barefoot footprint01 or 02s.

I'm a bang for the buck kinda guy, so if there are some others any of you would recommend, please let me know!

Thanks so much in advance and can't wait to hear and interact with all of you. Cheers!

My pick would probably be the Neumann 310 or 8331 at that price. 8331 is probably a little better at low/moderate volumes(given you have a sub), but I wonder about very loud volumes. Maybe someone else can answer, how much output would the 8331 have when crossing to a sub at 100 or 120Hz?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

I haven't done a direct comparison, but from what I've read, the 308's punch way above their pay grade. If you have a way to compare the two in your room that would be an interesting test. How far from the speakers will you be?

I have 3 708's across the front, and I can't say enough about how much I enjoy listening through them.

OP
B

bbizzle

I haven't done a direct comparison, but from what I've read, the 308's punch way above their pay grade. If you have a way to compare the two in your room that would be an interesting test. How far from the speakers will you be?

I have 3 708's across the front, and I can't say enough about how much I enjoy listening through them.

They will be nearfields for me. Probably about 3' away. I'm very intrigued now about these 708s...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
They will be nearfields for me. Probably about 3' away. I'm very intrigued now about these 708s...

At 3', you could throw the 705's into consideration as well. I'm 14' from the 708's. I have 705's on my desk, and love them too. Both have 2x250w amps, analog and digital input, a range of custom filters, etc.

I have 3 708's and 6 705's...that's how much I like mine.

OP
B

bbizzle

How do the 708s and 705s compare? Given I have a sub, I'm not too concerned with LF extension. And the 705s are half the price...

OP
B

bbizzle

At 3', you could throw the 705's into consideration as well. I'm 14' from the 708's. I have 705's on my desk, and love them too. Both have 2x250w amps, analog and digital input, a range of custom filters, etc.

I have 3 708's and 6 705's...that's how much I like mine.
haha sounds like we are on the same page

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd use @MZKM 's preference rating if you're looking for a price vs performance comparison.

The Nueman KH80's or Genelec 8030C's looks like a lot of bang for buck.

https://sites.google.com/view/speaker-headphone-data/speakers/preference-ratings-graphs

1620308366072.png

OP
B

bbizzle

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
At $4000/pr with a sub I'd consider the following:

New:
- Focal Solo6 Be
- Barefoot Footprint01 or Footprint02 (I sit about 4.5' from the 01s and it's fine)
- JBL 708P
- Genelec 8331A
Used:
- Neumann KH310 (new these are about 4600/pr) or the previous generation Klein&Hummel O300
- Genelec 1031A (I actually like these more than all the 80X0 series speakers!)

mkawa

8331 if you don't need to play loud. see if the dealer can throw in the GLM kit. the 708P seems like a good choice as well.

dfuller

Major Contributor

The 308s do not compare at all to the 708s in terms of power and authority, unfortunately. The cheaper drivers and way lesser amps end up being pretty ugly in the 300 series by comparison. That said, looking at the THD vs Freq graphs for both, I can't help but think the 700 series woofer is the same design family as the 300 series but just better, because most of the same issues are still present - just much reduced in level.

Though to be honest I think for me at the 708 price point I'd be inclined to go 3-way, mostly because I find 2-ways to always have midrange resonance issues if they're ported unless you're Neumann and pull some black magic like on the KH120.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

My first answer sight , unseen would be the JBL 708p if you're in the USA.
Second would be the Neuman KH310 if yo're in the USA...
Elsewhere the Kh310 in Europe is likely less than the euro equivalent of $4000 , so clld be the Genelec 8331. I suppose the JBL would be more expensive there.

My system will soon feature a pair of JBL 708p. :D

mkawa

the 8030Cs with a sub are way under your price point are a great combo. i think they'll fare well in an 11x13' room. i would also put a vote in for the 8350. my 8040s could easily fill that room and with the room correction, blend seamlessly down to to subbass in that size room with that sub. i wouldn't bother with the GLM because it can't do phase correction and you're already doing room correction with the nanodigi.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

My first answer sight , unseen would be the JBL 708p if you're in the USA.
Second would be the Neuman KH310 if yo're in the USA...
Elsewhere the Kh310 in Europe is likely less than the euro equivalent of $4000 , so clld be the Genelec 8331. I suppose the JBL would be more expensive there.

My system will soon feature a pair of JBL 708p. :D

Disagree just based on the OPs situation. 708 has more output than those other options, but OP is near field. The 8331, KH310(and even the 8030c) measure considerably better than the 708p(which has port resonance issues). 708p is better for reference level and up at 3+ meters, but sacrifices quality at shorter distances.

Top Bottom