• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time Domain measurements?

Joachim Gerhard

Industry Insider
It used a classic Passiv L/R 4 crossover. Today I mostly use 18dB Butterworth in the bass and L/R 2 in the treble.
That way energy storage is less. I am home now but will go into my lab on the weekend and gerate some plots to show the difference.

tuga

Major Contributor
Yeah, it can be seen going away in the non-normalized horizontal graph, so it shouldn‘t be much of an issue.

It would be nice if @John Atkinson could make the non-normalised horizontal graph a permanent part of the invaluable set of speaker measurements he produces for Stereophile.

A second CSD when the tweeter resonates strongly below 30kHz would also be welcome, like he did for this particular speaker:

Ms6fig09.jpg

Ms6fig10.jpg

https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-studio-6-loudspeaker-measurements-part-2

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, but that was a long time ago. I can do better today and I will send a pair of speakers for evaluation.

Wow, nice to see you hear Joachim!

Unfortunately I have not heard any of your designs since the 90's (we don't get them here in Canada from what I have seen). But the Virgo 2
was one of my all time favorite speakers!

Joachim Gerhard

Industry Insider
Many thanks. There was a really long review that also explains my setup method in part.

Attachments

• CB98254A-CF8B-435B-B379-F17D0C3DABB2.png
    CB98254A-CF8B-435B-B379-F17D0C3DABB2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 200

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Many thanks. There was a really long review that also explains my setup method in part.

Yes I remember that review well - Fremer did a terrific job of conveying the sound of the Virgos - exactly as they sounded to me as well. Your approach was quite influential for my speaker set up preferences as well as many others.

Reactions: JRS

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It used a classic Passiv L/R 4 crossover. Today I mostly use 18dB Butterworth in the bass and L/R 2 in the treble.
That way energy storage is less. I am home now but will go into my lab on the weekend and gerate some plots to show the difference.
Can you explain a bit more about "energy storage"

Joachim Gerhard

Industry Insider
In my youth. I build a Baily with a 20cm Audax Bextrene. Made a surprisingly deep bass. Worked great on classical music. Today I think the substantial time delay of the lines output is maybe a problem.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw, have you ever experimented with transmission line design?

Transmission line is one of those "sounds good on paper" theories but I've never heard one that seemed to fulfill the promise. All have sounded
a bit plummy to me in the bass. (Pure subjective anecdote, of course),

Joachim Gerhard

Industry Insider
Do you like your impedance curve flat ? A simple RCL circuit in a closed cabinet can do it.

Dausend Acoustics

I am a member of the Klippel Advanced Users Group so I am confident that you can second my measurements.

Hi,

Klippel Advanced Users Group - what is it about? Beside, that I never heard from it, how do you qualify to become a member?

Best Regards
Andreas

QMuse

Major Contributor
Transmission line is one of those "sounds good on paper" theories but I've never heard one that seemed to fulfill the promise. All have sounded
a bit plummy to me in the bass. (Pure subjective anecdote, of course),

Well I have ones that don't sound "plummy" at all. In fact they are able to produce 103dB of 50Hz wave with 2.4%THD measured at my LP 4 meters from them. They have one of the cleanest and most punchier bass I have ever heard.

QMuse

Major Contributor
In my youth. I build a Baily with a 20cm Audax Bextrene. Made a surprisingly deep bass. Worked great on classical music. Today I think the substantial time delay of the lines output is maybe a problem.

But doesn't quarterwave pipe length solve this? I have Castle Harlechs S2 which are twin pipe design, each driver is loading it's own pipe tuned to dfferent frequency and one woofer is firing upwards . I have measure them at various distances from speaker and I'm always getting really nice step response. Subjectively their bass sounds very clean and punchy to me.

Group delay:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom