• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time Domain measurements?

haraldo

A picture

There is clearly an off-center location of the beryllium tweeter on the ARA in the background there .... are you changing the geometry or just testing to see what works best?

Good to mention, narrow column speakers have more problems with comb filtering than a Grimm LS1.

I clearly prefer the very narrow speakers .... insane imaging .... but that is my personal preference :)
I heard some great "wide" speakers like stuff from Audio Note .... but the ultra-slim speakers are champs IMHO

Joachim Gerhard

Industry Insider
There is clearly an off-center location of the beryllium tweeter on the ARA in the background there .... are you changing the geometry or just testing to see what works best?

I clearly prefer the very narrow speakers .... insane imaging .... but that is my personal preference :)
I use a program called The Edge to find out the best location of the drivers.

Joachim Gerhard

Industry Insider
Here we go.

Attachments

• 3B60A3B0-86EB-427F-B2AD-CE6C6927E05B.png
    3B60A3B0-86EB-427F-B2AD-CE6C6927E05B.png
    563 KB · Views: 132

Joachim Gerhard

Industry Insider
Another example of a wide speaker in my program. It is not a best seller, far from it.

Attachments

• JGC_PDB_Sequenz.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 235

fosti

...I clearly prefer the very narrow speakers .... insane imaging .... but that is my personal preference :)
I heard some great "wide" speakers like stuff from Audio Note .... but the ultra-slim speakers are champs IMHO
maybe you like them but have a look at the whitepaper from Grimm
"Psychoacoustics tells us that
below about 300Hz the ear will no longer clearly discern
direct sound, first reflections or reverberant sound. Presumably
the evolutionary background of this is that the
vocal range starts here. Anyhow, we can live with a
transition to omni below 300Hz. If we can get reasonable,
constant directivity above that, we have a design
spec!"

Source: Speakers white paper

haraldo

spec!"

thx , I will read tomorrow ....

if you listen to a Guarneri violin it has a totally changing directivity in space depending on what frequency is playing.... this is extremely difficult for a speaker to reproduce so that it sounds like the real thing. I claim there is no loudspeaker that can relicate these directivity patterns .... I have no idea what is the best way but I know what I can hear...

probably there is just no one best speaker that does it all .... but overall the narrow speakers are the ones that works best on most music to to my ears ... but there is for instance great challenges with a grand piano as there is just not enough cone area in the narrow single woofer/mid loudspeakers to reproduce the incredible dynamics of a Steinway model D .... well, these are extremely difficult for any speaker

i am not confident the Grimm’s can do this either

if it’s difficult, it’s fun :cool:

Joachim Gerhard

Industry Insider
spec!"

Where is the peer review?

fosti

Last edited:

fosti

In what frequency Range ?
Those small columns are omni up to 1kHz. You will have more problems with first reflections than with a speaker that has a narrower dispersion in the frequency range from 300Hz up . This omni behavior makes placement in the room difficult.

Joachim Gerhard

Industry Insider
Talking about peer reviews .....where are extensive measurements of your speakers in the manner of sound&recording and neumann or genelec do:
https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/neumann-kh420/
Saying a flat on axis frequency response is easily to achieve, but then not showing the off axis behavior of ones own speakers. This is a little snobbish and not scientific.
Edit: 3 blue letters
I plan to send a pair of my speakers to Amir. Then you can compare to others that have being measured here before. On the other hand most of my customers are privat and non of them has ever demanded that I provide off axis measurements. I have the means to do that though.

Joachim Gerhard

Industry Insider
I meant the damage(?) in the suspension between 8 and 9 o'clock...
This is a prototype and damage like that can happen when you move the speakers to shows and magazines. When I sell a pair like that I make certain that there is no damage. Customers do not accept damage anyway. Thanks for looking thoug.

Top Bottom