• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal via microRendu without buying additional software, for my dad's system?

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Hi there,

I think Amir's measurements mean the Sonore microRendu isn't the best respected component here, but thanks to the amazing generosity of an ASR member, I have recently acquired one, and I plan to give it to my father - along with a Topping DAC and a Tidal subscription - to add streaming to his system.

Like many of his generation, my dad can strip and reassemble an engine, and do wonders with a nice piece of mahogany, but I want to keep streaming as simple as possible, so he gets the most out of it and finds more of the genius guitarists that he loves.

Ideally he'd use an app on his iPhone/iPad to control the new microRendu system in his summer house, but ideally just using iOS devices as remotes rather than servers, so that if for example he put his phone in his pocket and walked down the garden away from the wifi signal, the music wouldn't stutter and stop.

Is this possible, without buying additional software like Roon or Audirvana?

Something like Tidal Connect would be perfect, but I understand the microRendu doesn't support this.

I've had mConnect suggested to me, but as I understand it, this effectively casts/pushes Tidal to the mR from the iPhone via uPnP and would stop if the phone lost the wifi signal - is that right?

Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance.

James

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Airplay and iOS require the phone to be on the network to send the stream to the device. Spotify connect, Chromecast and tidal connect allow the stream to be handed off to the device and the phone acts more like a remote control. So I'd choose a solution that uses one of those. I personally think Spotify connect is the best simplest user experience as long as the hardware supports it. So by proxy if you can find something with tidal connect support then you should be good. That's still pretty rare though.

Top Bottom