• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal reportedly enabling bit-perfect playback to USB DAC on Android

NoFuzz

Thanks.
What external dac are you using?
Can you share how you confirmed it's upsampling to 192? I've not heard of that before and would like to know how to check that myself in the future.
Same here, on a Samsung S8 on SMSL SU8. Using USB cable that came with the SMSL SU8 and USBC-USB adapter that came with the Samsung S8. I'd have thought all these 8's would work perfectly together ;-)

Shows 192 khz with any song playing, whether phone says "Master" or "Hifi".
(Tidal app version 2.46)

Last edited:

MrOtto

HiBy is complete crap, no wonder it's free. So many bugs with external DAC.

throwaway38217

I'm happy to report that Dragonfly Cobalt on Sony Xperia XZ1 (Android 9) works quite well with Tidal 2.46.0.

Some details below.

I must have had Tidal running in the background this time, because when I plugged in the dac I was greeted by both UAPP and a message asking if I want to give Tidal access to the dac. I clicked ok and was able to listen to some track (master / purple light). It seems that UAPP also got an update, because when I got back to it there were release notes displayed, after clicking ok on them I got a message saying that music stopped playing on Tidal because UAPP took over. I was not able to get Tidal to play music again even after closing UAPP, changing track etc. Tidal was showing that music is playing, but there was no sound. I disabled UAPP autostart and unplugged/plugged the dac. At first Tidal played some noises, only after giving it access to the dac (again) it played normally. Another quirk I've encountered was after switching from a master track to a hifi one (green light), music started playing at full volume, only after pressing a volume button it got down to the previous level. Additionally, it seems that unplug/plug operation is also needed after finishing an album, but I didn't test it too much yet.

Ok, let's get back to music,

Cheers!

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great to hear!

alpha1201

My new hidizs S3 pro just arrived. I can confirm that works on tidal desktop app.
And it works on my Samsung Galaxy s20+. Finally i can see a magenta light!
Only one issue with the volume controls (physical buttons). For any reason they control ringtone volume and not the multimedia.
When i disconnect the S3 everything goes black to normal.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's great news!

dimxbox

I registered on the site to leave my experience.
Smartphone: Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 4XL (Android 12), Developer mode is off and UAPP is removed. Tidal v. 2.51.0
Cable: "TypeC to TypeC" cable from Pixel 4XL & cable "USB TypeA to TypeC" + Ugreen OTG Adapter
USB DACs: Fiio BTR5, Fiio K3s & dongle from HTC U11+ (CS42L42) - BitPerfect does not work in Tidal (no USB-DAC message).

When playing HiFi quality, BTR5 always shows 48KHz on the screen, and if the Master quality, then the screen show always 192KHz and does not decrease to 48KHz even if you turn on the quality lower than Master (this is probably a bug).

I have tried connecting the Shanling MW200 headset as a USB-DAC. Pixel 3 - Tidal showed a confirmation message to use the Shanling MW200.
Pixel 4XL - Tidal was unable to detect Shanling MW200 (no message).

In Black Friday I ordered ddHiFi TC44B, I very hope Tidal will be able to work with it directly, without the participation of the Android mixer.
Through the UAPP, in BitPerfect mode, all devices work!

Attachments

• photo_2021-12-06 17.50.17.jpeg
    photo_2021-12-06 17.50.17.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 126

pedros_2005

It seems that the external dac needs to know mqa for tidal to work in perfect bit mode. I tried today with topping e50 and e30, the same phone, the same cable. With e50 tidal it works in perfect bit mode, but with e30 it doesn't...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211206-110738.png
    Screenshot_20211206-110738.png
    1 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20211206_110751124.jpg
    IMG_20211206_110751124.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 123

sagit90

Hello!

Is somebody already tested it with an android tv and with a dac? The hardwares are a nVidia Shield Pro 2019 and a Dragonfly Cobalt would be.
Do you think, is the android tv also can use this function?

Esss

Hello!

Is somebody already tested it with an android tv and with a dac? The hardwares are a nVidia Shield Pro 2019 and a Dragonfly Cobalt would be.
Do you think, is the android tv also can use this function?
Interesting. Does this mean Nvidia is able to send audio to USB DAC? I have CCWGT and I can output audio via USB to USB DAC but the sound is so soft it is unusable, but ta 96Khz. For Android TV, you mean TV with android TV and the Tidal app? CCWGT is best used through the HDMI output, but that maxes at 48Khz and the audio quality is different. I can't tell if it is worse or better, but it doesn't sound the same as the USB DAC or if I simply hook my phone using USB to HDMI directly to AVR.

sagit90

Interesting. Does this mean Nvidia is able to send audio to USB DAC? I have CCWGT and I can output audio via USB to USB DAC but the sound is so soft it is unusable, but ta 96Khz. For Android TV, you mean TV with android TV and the Tidal app? CCWGT is best used through the HDMI output, but that maxes at 48Khz and the audio quality is different. I can't tell if it is worse or better, but it doesn't sound the same as the USB DAC or if I simply hook my phone using USB to HDMI directly to AVR.

Yes, nvidia shield can output audio on usb. Received an update with a new feature:
"Adds option to match content audio resolution (high resolution audio)" audiosciencereview thread nVidia thread

"For Android TV, you mean TV with android TV and the Tidal app?" No, Shield with Tidal android TV app. Android TV app and Android app are not same.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, nvidia shield can output audio on usb. Received an update with a new feature:
"Adds option to match content audio resolution (high resolution audio)" audiosciencereview thread nVidia thread

"For Android TV, you mean TV with android TV and the Tidal app?" No, Shield with Tidal android TV app. Android TV app and Android app are not same.
Great to see! Note that Plex is not supported. :(
  • Adds option to match audio content resolution. Enable when playing High Resolution Audio on SHIELD. Note: Not available on Plex and this feature disables Dolby Audio Processing

I have an iFi hip-dac v2 which does the full MQA decoding, and when I use Tidal through UAPP I get the right colors (green for MQA and blue for MQA studio),but when I use the Tidal app the iFi changes to magenta wirh MQA files, which means "original sample rate". Does this mean bit-perfect is enabled or not?

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have an iFi hip-dac v2 which does the full MQA decoding, and when I use Tidal through UAPP I get the right colors (green for MQA and blue for MQA studio),but when I use the Tidal app the iFi changes to magenta wirh MQA files, which means "original sample rate". Does this mean bit-perfect is enabled or not?
This may mean the IFI is upsampling the MQA decoded data to the original master file sampling rate. That step isn't very meaningful, but it's nice to know the system is working.

staticV3

Master Contributor
If the Tidal App doesn't ask you for USB Access permission ("Allow Tidal to access ifi hip-dac..."), then Bit-perfect is not enabled.
If it does, then it is.

Top Bottom