• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal reportedly enabling bit-perfect playback to USB DAC on Android

If the Tidal App doesn't ask you for USB Access permission ("Allow Tidal to access ifi hip-dac..."), then Bit-perfect is not enabled.
If it does, then it is.
Yeah, it did ask me!
Screenshot_20220128-224454_TIDAL.jpg

dimxbox

In Black Friday I ordered ddHiFi TC44B, I very hope Tidal will be able to work with it directly, without the participation of the Android mixer.
Through the UAPP, in BitPerfect mode, all devices work!
ddHiFi TC44B - Tidal shows a DAC connection request, but if you agree then Tidal freezes.

uudruid74

Curious if anyone has gotten Tidal to work with an external MQA DAC using a Chromecast w/GTV. Even if I had to switch my AVR between HDMI (normal Chromecast) and analog/DAC inputs (when using Tidal) it would be nice.

Nicer still would be if the Plex app could do this since Plex is supposed to integrate with Tidal and my Tidal subscription is via PlexPass. So ironic that I can't use the Tidal MQA features from the Plex app when Plex provides the Tidal subscription!

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious if anyone has gotten Tidal to work with an external MQA DAC using a Chromecast w/GTV. Even if I had to switch my AVR between HDMI (normal Chromecast) and analog/DAC inputs (when using Tidal) it would be nice.

Nicer still would be if the Plex app could do this since Plex is supposed to integrate with Tidal and my Tidal subscription is via PlexPass. So ironic that I can't use the Tidal MQA features from the Plex app when Plex provides the Tidal subscription!
I can’t speak to google tv but Plex, roku, and firetv don’t support it because they need to pay a licensing fee to support MQA. Even passing it through to a downstream DAC. Plex responded to my question on their forum stating they would not support MQA. That’s why volumio asks an additional monthly fee for tidal MQA support for their streaming endpoint software.

It costs money so companies that are competing with a price sensitive products generally aren’t supporting it.

uudruid74

I can’t speak to google tv but Plex, roku, and firetv don’t support it because they need to pay a licensing fee to support MQA. Even passing it through to a downstream DAC. Plex responded to my question on their forum stating they would not support MQA. That’s why volumio asks an additional monthly fee for tidal MQA support for their streaming endpoint software.

It costs money so companies that are competing with a price sensitive products generally aren’t supporting it.
Maybe when I cancel my Plex Pass because they dont support MQA they will take the hint

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe when I cancel my Plex Pass because they dont support MQA they will take the hint
Roon supports your needs. Again I think they are just deciding that the extra fees and additional pricing structure they would have to put in place are not worth it for their customers.

uudruid74

Just a side note for future reference. I have my USB DAC working now with Google TV. It seems fixed at 96Khz. No MQA, not even in Tidal, which stupidly says my device can't play Master quality (it doesn't even offer to play it HiFi quality).

To be able to hear a USB audio device you need to use an adb command to turn it up. Anyone having an issue with low volume with a USB DAC is because of some stupid headphone limit ot some such stupidity. Volume is was set at 6. Full volume is 25

adb shell media volume --stream 3 --set 25

uudruid74

Roon supports your needs. Again I think they are just deciding that the extra fees and additional pricing structure they would have to put in place are not worth it for their customers.
Roon? Not as convenient as Plex. Plex integrates with Tidal and shows me streamed content "missing" from my local library.

I already have a RPi with picoreplayer that can stream MQA from Tidal to my DAC ot play hires audio to my Chromecast Audio devices without the Roon service fees.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Don't know what gtv is but you won't stream mqa via chromecast. It simply doesn't support it so the tidal servers will send the non mqa version when you cast.

The only way I know of to get mqa files to your dac using chromecast is if you use Roon. But then the roon core is then doing the streaming to the chromecast device, not the tidal server.

uudruid74

Don't know what gtv is but you won't stream mqa via chromecast. It simply doesn't support it so the tidal servers will send the non mqa version when you cast.

The only way I know of to get mqa files to your dac using chromecast is if you use Roon. But then the roon core is then doing the streaming to the chromecast device, not the tidal server.
GTV = GoogleTV. You cant cast MQA because casting is normally done in AAC format, not flac. GoogleTV is a full Android TV device running Android Apps. I am running the Tidal app on it, not casting to it

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
GTV = GoogleTV. You cant cast MQA because casting is normally done in AAC format, not flac. GoogleTV is a full Android TV device running Android Apps. I am running the Tidal app on it, not casting to it
Chromecast (the protocol) will happily stream FLAC files up to (I think) 24/96. No idea what GTV (the device) will do with a Tidal stream then- I know the Tidal app on your Android phone will happily decode and pass MQA to a USB DAC but whether the GTV will do the same I know not- wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt resample everything to 16/48 before sending anywhere

Does your AVR give any info about bit depth/ sample rate on its display when you do play Tidal on the GTV? Also, is the GTV going to TV then out to AVR by HDMI? Depends what your TV does with it too in that case I would have thought.

uudruid74

Streaming from Tidal to Chromecast is AAC regardless of what the device can do.

Output through TV is HDMI so always 48Khz. Tidal app on AndroidTV is missing a lot. May try sideloading the phone version or UAPP.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Streaming from Tidal to Chromecast is AAC regardless of what the device can do.
Depends, are you talking about chromecast the protocol or chromecast /Google TV the device? You can most definitely cast lossless and hi res flac files from tidal to a (some?) chromecast enabled device

Edit, is there a quality setting in the gtv tidal app?

Last edited:

uudruid74

Depends, are you talking about chromecast the protocol or chromecast /Google TV the device? You can most definitely cast lossless and hi res flac files from tidal to a (some?) chromecast enabled device

Edit, is there a quality setting in the gtv tidal app?
Tidal servers stream AAC when casting using the Chromecast protocol. I'm not talking about device capability.

Don't remember if there is a quality setting. I dont think so

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal servers stream AAC when casting using the Chromecast protocol. I'm not talking about device capability.

Pretty sure it's flac if you set it up right. Chromecast audio im talking about.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It streams flac when I cast using bubble upnp or cast directly from the tidal app to my Anthem receiver.

You need to have a hifi or master (or whatever it's called now) tier subscription and then set the quality level in the tidal app.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm. Will have to test this when I am back home later in the week. Maybe it's a new bug.
See that whole thread. Was a bug where controlling device showed wrong quality level. Fixed.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See that whole thread. Was a bug where controlling device showed wrong quality level. Fixed.
Ugh. Using reddit via web browser not logged in was painful...

Top Bottom