• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal, Qobuz -> Asus VivoMini (i5) w Audiolense/Acourate DSP filter, wifi -> Allo Boss2 -> Jotunheim R -> SR1a; plus Jotunheim R -> iLoud MTM ?

TooSteep

I am at my desk a lot. Currently streaming Spotify and Amazon HD directly from my silent desktop PC into a Centrance DACmini to iLoud MTM monitors in a 27" equilateral triangle from my ears.

I'd love to try and see if I can achieve a significant jump in sound quality by using:

Tidal/Qobuz, and custom SR1a DSP filter from Mitch at AccurateSound.ca and Raal-Requisite SR1a earspeakers; and when not using headphones, use a Focus Fidelity DSP correction filter to my iLoud MTM speakers (as per https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...-using-focus-fidelity-filter-designer-r990/); and also, eventually, to a listening room with quality monitors and subs (need to move before that one becomes a reality).

I am completely new to DSP and room correction and was hoping I could get some critiques of the path I am currently thinking:

* Purchase subscriptions to Tidal, Qobuz and Roon. (I have about 2600 CDs in boxes. I may rip them some day using DBPowerAmp and an Acronova Nimbie.)

* Use a Windows 10 based Asus VivoMini VC66-C i5-9500, 8 GB RAM 256 GB SSD as a Roon server and DSP engine. Is this overkill? Underkill? Will Roon switch convolution filters based on me telling it I'm using the SR1a or the iLoud MTM or a high-end speaker in a listening room? I would send the stream out over Wifi. I can plug the Asus computer directly into my router in the basement, but will need to use WiFi to get it to Roon endpoints.

* Use an Allo Boss2 streamer with DietPi and ALLO GUI as a Roon endpoint and DAC. The review and measurements here have me thinking it's all I need. It is not clear that something like a Matrix Audio Element X would give me audibly superior results.

* Feed the Allo Boss2 output into a Schitt Jotunheim R amplifier (no internal DAC) for listening on Raal-Requisite SR1a headspeaker. Would I use the Schitt for volume control, or Roon software?

* Feed my iLoud MTM desktop monitors from the Schitt Jotunheim R pre-outs, when listening without the headphones. Is there a switch on the front of the Jotunheim R for selecting either headphone out or pre-outs? (My Centrance DACmini cuts the pre-outs automatically when headphones are plugged in.)

* Control everything with an iPad running the Roon control software.

I guess my big questions are:

* how much server power do you need just to stream Tidal and Qobuz through Roon, run room correction convolution filters, and send the stream out over WiFi? (It might end up needing support for two simultaneous streams as well.)

* is there something else I should be considering supporting/running in the server?

* is an Allo Boss2 all I need to receive the stream and convert it to analog?

* am I missing something(s)?

Thanks!

Snoopy

Major Contributor
You could just use a M1 Mac mini as roon core and at the same time as a roon endpoint.

+ More roon endpoints wherever you need them

Top Bottom